Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search and Rescue - Tramore Sat Night

• 15-07-2007 5:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

Just Up from the Pier in Tramore where the R.N.L.I And the saerch and rescue Helicopter are involved in a search Its now 5.11 am and they are out since just after 2am .....

A note was Found at 2am on the R.N.L.I Door Claiming to be a lady (Named) and that she has taken her two Children (also named)aged 4 and 7 out in Dingy at 6pm and the rest is in Gods Hands the Note , The Resuers said that the note is very well written and gives Full names .. There were no Cars out of place at the Pier that she could have driven in ....

Either Way if it is a Hoax it is sick and if it is true it is horrifying .....

I would rather see this as a hoax to be honest , And if it is what kind of sick people are out there....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

a friend of mine got called out at half four this morning, they are still searching, i can still here the helicopter even now.
    please god i hope it is a hoax. a sick twisted one at that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Indeed it woke me up at 4am flying outside my house (im just on the sea pretty much!). Had a look to see it searching the cliff edges, but apparently that search got called of at 5am. Maybe it resumed, but the chopper went back to base at 5am.

Aint seen it since, apart from a fly over over newtown cove heading away from Tramore.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

... and its back. Just searching the same spots as last night by the looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

My God, there's nothing positive in this at all, is there? Like someone said, if it's true, it's likely to be a shocking tragedy, and if it's a hoax, it's utterly SICK.

What were conditions like last night? I'm in the city and it was a calm, dry night, but that's no indication of what things are like out in Tramore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I was out walking in Tramore last night and it was lovely and calm.
    I even passed by the Lifeboat Station and saw nothing that I would have been worried about. No sign of any dinghy. There was almost no wind to push a craft out to sea.

Sounds like some a**hole messing about, but the rescue services have no choice but to check it out. Don't these people realise what trouble they are causing. As far as I know, the helicopter that crashed a few years ago was responding to a hoax. If so, then whoever made that call has 4 deaths to answer for.

If it's not a hoax, then let's hope that everyone is found safe.
    Has anyone notice how there are a lot more incidents involving parents taking the lives of their children and then themselves. I don't know is is something to do with divorce, the stress of modern life or the standard of mental health care, but it is very worrying.

• Advertisement

Jor wrote:
    As far as I know, the helicopter that crashed a few years ago was responding to a hoax. If so, then whoever made that call has 4 deaths to answer for.

Eh... I don't know where you got that idea. They were returning from a rescue mission down near Dungarvan, where they actually brought some people onto land from a boat that was in difficulties, if I'm not mistaken. After they dropped the people off, they headed back towards the airport, and then tragedy struck.

Here's RTE's report from the day in question: http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/0702/helicopter.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have'nt seen this mentioned on aertel or RTE news

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Thanks for correcting me about the helicopter crash.
    It is probably of some comfort to the families of the crew that at least they had been saving others when they lost their own lives.

mike65 wrote:
    I have'nt seen this mentioned on aertel or RTE news

Mike.

RTE always seem to stay clear of a suicide story until its confirmed to be true, and then it talks about it. Unlike other articles, they don't report on the issue whether true or not.

For example. A recent car crash in Newtown Cove was a result of suicide. RTE did not mention the crash until he was confirmed dead, and the road was closed pending a report. In a normal crash, they would have reported a crash - with little info. Just a summary of what happened / what they know so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ive heard (from a wlr presenter) that it was a hoax, a woman had a row with her boyfriend and left the house with 2 children, anyone else hear any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ive heard (from a wlr presenter) that it was a hoax, a woman had a row with her boyfriend and left the house with 2 children, anyone else hear any more?

god if that is true they are some scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If that is true then whoever left the note should be locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Jor wrote:
    Thanks for correcting me about the helicopter crash.
    It is probably of some comfort to the families of the crew that at least they had been saving others when they lost their own lives.
    Actually to further clarify things, the crew weren't required to go on that rescue mission but voluntarily joined because they wanted to live test the new helicopter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sully wrote:
    RTE always seem to stay clear of a suicide story until its confirmed to be true, and then it talks about it. Unlike other articles, they don't report on the issue whether true or not.

For example. A recent car crash in Newtown Cove was a result of suicide. RTE did not mention the crash until he was confirmed dead, and the road was closed pending a report. In a normal crash, they would have reported a crash - with little info. Just a summary of what happened / what they know so far.
    was this the car that went off the cliff? are you sure this was suicide?

was this the car that went off the cliff? are you sure this was suicide?

Every person iv spoken to has confirmed this. From official sources (as close as family and friends) to general people who know things.

Without those factors, its the only logical explanation. Male driver on his down, drove at extreme speeds, car hit a wall (no skid marks, just went straight to the wall) and managed to land a considerable distance away (ie from one side of the road, across a small mound, down a mini-field, into the rocks).

But ya, im 99.9% sure it was suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rescue117

Nothing further on the woman with two kids. heli did complete a second search later on that afternoon out to sea and along coast.

The Dauphin that crashed was indeed on a mission. It did not pick up anybody but assisted Helvick LB in directing them to the broken down vessel using aircraft radar.

Rescue117 wrote:
    Nothing further on the woman with two kids. heli did complete a second search later on that afternoon out to sea and along coast.

The Dauphin that crashed was indeed on a mission. It did not pick up anybody but assisted Helvick LB in directing them to the broken down vessel using aircraft radar.

Mind me asking who you are? I take it you work for the Rescue Centre..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Rescue117 wrote:

if they indeed used aircraft radar then why is it they cud,nt find there way back to waterford airport, did,nt think dauphins had radar and that was the whole point in gettin the sakorsky helicoptors becoz these were equppied with radar and infared camera,s??

if they indeed used aircraft radar then why is it they cud,nt find there way back to waterford airport, did,nt think dauphins had radar and that was the whole point in gettin the sakorsky helicoptors becoz these were equppied with radar and infared camera,s??

The problem was not finding the airport. It was getting there through the mist, which apparently was very thick. As a result, they hit a sandune and crashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Theres a rescue centre in waterford?? where is it??

Also , I'm fairly sure there is an infrared camera on the current choppers in waterford.

• Advertisement

Theres a rescue centre in waterford?? where is it??

Also , I'm fairly sure there is an infrared camera on the current choppers in waterford.

Meh, bad choice of words on my part. As far as im aware - we dont have one. What I meant was, I assume that poster works for a member of the searc Search & Rescue team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

O right.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rescue117

Radar is used to show where the weather, coastline and vessels are. It does not help you do an instrument approach to an airport.

The Dauphins did have radar. The FLIR is also not used for approach to runways. On the Sikorsky, the camera and monitor is in the cabin not the cockpit.

The Dauphin crash was simply a tragic accident.

Rescue117 wrote:
    Radar is used to show where the weather, coastline and vessels are. It does not help you do an instrument approach to an airport.

The Dauphins did have radar. The FLIR is also not used for approach to runways. On the Sikorsky, the camera and monitor is in the cabin not the cockpit.

The Dauphin crash was simply a tragic accident.
    wat rescue service r u with anyway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 papa

The real answer lies in the official crash report and not conjecture!

http://www.irlgov.ie/tec/aaiu/2000Reports/2000-11%20Tramore/default.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 papa

I suspect that Rescue117 might be a winchman on the sikorsky helicopter at the airport.
    You might see him being winched in the video on YouTube at Dunmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sm123_irl

papa wrote:
    I suspect that Rescue117 might be a winchman on the sikorsky helicopter at the airport.
    You might see him being winched in the video on YouTube at Dunmore.

Rescue 117 is the call sign of the Waterford Based Search and Rescue Chopper during an emergency other than that they use the Aircraft Reg e.g EI-SAR

sm123_irl wrote:
    Rescue 117 is the call sign of the Waterford Based Search and Rescue Chopper during an emergency other than that they use the Aircraft Reg e.g EI-SAR
    shur if ya have a scanner any1 can hear that name

News and Star reports that this appears to have been a hoax.

Ba$tard$, I swear, they should be made visit the families of the four airmen who died in 1999 and listen to their story, just so they can be made feel as small and as pathetic as those men were selfless and brave.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote:
    News and Star reports that this appears to have been a hoax.

Ba$tard$, I swear, they should be made visit the families of the four airmen who died in 1999 and listen to their story, just so they can be made feel as small and as pathetic as those men were selfless and brave.
    very true i agree

Advertisement