Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skyDSL doesn't work anymore

Options
  • 15-07-2007 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭

I started using skyDSL last May and it's been OK apart from a few problems like when the bandwidth goes down at peak usage times.
    However since last Friday I can't use it at all. I had to move my dish to a different location but it's still giving a strong signal so I don't think that's the problem.
    When I right-click on the icon to turn skyDSL on I can't get a single page to load, I have to turn it off and just use ordinary dial-up.
    When I started using it first I was getting 70% signal level but now the highest I get is 50. I don't understand how this can happen as the location of the satellite does not change over time.
    I've attached a screen capture of the Data Application. The only thing I can think of is that the signal quality is not at 100%, only 90% but it's been like that before and it hasn't made a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Moved dish :)

You can get over 20 satellites, at least 8 very strong in Ireland.

How do you know you are aligned on the correct satellite? A 1 degree movement of dish may lose signal and at 3 degrees you are on a different Satellite.

Often the same SR & frequency is on different satellites

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

watty wrote:
    Moved dish :)

You can get over 20 satellites, at least 8 very strong in Ireland.

How do you know you are aligned on the correct satellite? A 1 degree movement of dish may lose signal and at 3 degrees you are on a different Satellite.

Often the same SR & frequency is on different satellites

Because I did the connection wizard again to make sure. I had to move the dish because there was scaffolding in the way of where it was before but I think that is being taken down tomorrow.
    I'll move the dish back to where it was as soon as it is gone but I am sure I am on the right satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Had the same problem myself from time to time and it never helped when the software was giving a strong signal reading.

But as was said in previous thread your dish is not aligned to the correct satellite. It can take 5mins or it could take a few hrs to get it right again. Try and have someone help, saves a lot of climbing up and down ladders.

Had the same problem myself from time to time and it never helped when the software was giving a strong signal reading.

But as was said in previous thread your dish is not aligned to the correct satellite. It can take 5mins or it could take a few hrs to get it right again. Try and have someone help, saves a lot of climbing up and down ladders.

It's definitley the right satellite as it was working fine even after I moved it but now all of a sudden it's not.

If memory serves my right that new software comes with tunneling software.
    Try right clicking My Network places, go down to properties and click. Now do the same with your dial-up connection and in the dialog box make sure that ISDN Channel -Skydsl TTPT is checked. Try to connect and see if you get an error.

• Advertisement

If memory serves my right that new software comes with tunneling software.
    Try right clicking My Network places, go down to properties and click. Now do the same with your dial-up connection and in the dialog box make sure that ISDN Channel -Skydsl TTPT is checked. Try to connect and see if you get an error.

I think that ISDN Channel -Skydsl TTPT is only supposed to be checked on the skyDSL connection, not the dial-up connection.
    I uninstalled and re-installed all the skyDSL software but it's still the same.
    I have two desktops and a laptop and it doesn't work on any one of them.
    I know your bandwidth goes down if you exceed the fair usage policy but it can't be that as I haven't used much this month at all.
    I'll have to ring their tech support tomorrow and see what's up.

lukin wrote:
    I'll have to ring their tech support tomorrow and see what's up.
    haha, your kidding right? ring or mail skydsl and perhaps you will get a reply in November. I stoped using skydsl after 5yrs cos they went to ****e, more so in the last 6mths or so.....

lukin wrote:
    I think that ISDN Channel -Skydsl TTPT is only supposed to be checked on the skyDSL connection, not the dial-up connection.
    QUOTE]

Nope, Its the other way around for it to connect.

lukin wrote:
    QUOTE]

Nope, Its the other way around for it to connect.

I've attached a screen capture of the properties of each connection, I can't imagine how the skyDSL connection be wrong, the connection wizard creates ths connection automatically.
    haha, your kidding right? ring or mail skydsl and perhaps you will get a reply in November. I stoped using skydsl after 5yrs cos they went to ****e, more so in the last 6mths or so.....

I've always got very quick replies from them.

It's OK again now, I dunno what was wrong before. Could have been a server problem that cropped up over the weekend and now they have fixed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

If you switch satellites, it's usually easier to reinstall the software and select the new satellite so that it automatically enters the new frequencies and parameters.

33E Eurobird - 11513, H, SR 30000, PID 100
    8W Atlantic Bird - 125245, V, 27500, PID 100. (Freqs of 11222 and 11261 also OK) : Elevation 29 degrees, sunpass time 12.35pm

You will also need to skew/twist the LNB if you move from Eurobird to Atl Bird.

Zaphod wrote:
    If you switch satellites, it's usually easier to reinstall the software and select the new satellite so that it automatically enters the new frequencies and parameters.

8W Atlantic Bird - 125245, V, 27500, PID 100. (Freqs of 11222 and 11261 also OK) : Elevation 29 degrees, sunpass time 12.35pm

Aye, I know. I actually sent you a pm asking about that :D
    I got that satellite before but it was by accident, I didn't actually note the position of the LNB, or the elevation. The azimuth has to be 8 degrees west but what position is that on a compass?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

read my sig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

lukin wrote:
    Aye, I know. I actually sent you a pm asking about that :D
    I got that satellite before but it was by accident, I didn't actually note the position of the LNB, or the elevation. The azimuth has to be 8 degrees west but what position is that on a compass?

8W is more or less due south. However, you'll need to allow for magnetic variation of the poles and I don't know what that currently is. The sun pass time is usually more accurate than a compass.

If you didn't change the elevation, then you are pointing at the wrong satellite and it's just coincidence that it uses the same frequency - it would appear OK like the screengrab in your first post, but no traffic could come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Our SkyDSL connection used to cut out in heavy rain. Could that have caused the problem?

Zaphod wrote:

Sorry Zaphod, shoulda thought of that myself. I re-installed the software and selected Atlantic Bird 2 instead. It gave me the settings for the dish so I'll have a go at finding it. A mate of mine who has skyDSL and was using Eurobird 3 as well has had his signal disappear completley so I am going to try and switch him to Atlantic Bird 2.
    Mine has gone away down too so I might change to it as well.
    read my sig

Seen that before, very true I must say!
    brim4brim wrote:

Our SkyDSL connection used to cut out in heavy rain. Could that have caused the problem?
    Yeah there was a torrential downpour Saturday and the signal went down to zero.
    But it was at 40% before that in good weather. Shouldn't be happening. I know I moved the dish but I bet when I move it back to where it was before it will still be low.
    If I get a better signal off Atlantic Bird 2 I will stick with that one.

I rang tech support and told him the problem. He put the loss of signal qiuality down to natural earth movements and suggested getting a bigger dish (110 cm). The one I have at the moment is 80 cm.
    Before I rang changed to the Atlantic Bird satellite and the signal quality in taht was **** too.
    I'll try getting a bigger dish, I should pick one up cheap on eBay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

lukin wrote:
    Seen that before, very true I must say!

Read my sig both before and AFTER you click on it !!!!!

Advertisement