Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Feckin' Modified Car On Me Road!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Had a word with him, he said he wasnt hurting anyone so why should he care what i have to say, meh hopefully his engine wears out from all the cold starts and redlineing, i'll have a chat to one of the neighbours tomorrow who has a kid what she thinks.

-VB-

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hmm, does it appy to non nationals as the lad was Chinnese(sp)

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the_syco wrote:
    Is the body lowered? Cos them lowered cars HATE ramps...:D
    I saw a Porsche 911 driver come to a complete stop at a ramp. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Best of luck with it VB, hopefully you take it to the cops, and he gets a bit of cop on. And fair play for not rising to the idiots here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

For christs sake VolvoBoy, are you 20 going on 90 or something? If you've got a problem, grow a pair and tell him to slow down. Or ring the Guards. Ranting on an internet forum won't do much.

Grow down for a while, as said above, at 20 we're not all into Volvo's and Carina's ..
    Volvoboy wrote:
    Listen, i'm 20 driven anything and everything, from Mercedes CL500's to Toyota Dyna's, and about an average of 20-30 cars a week.

What you DRIVE has nothing to do with it, you don't own them. I have DRIVEN an AMG SLK (Or whatever-the-feck) 550, Evo's, Silvia's, etc... what the heck would that have to do with ANYTHING?

Chill out man you've all your life to be a grump oul cnut

-Edit- Saw you hard a word with him. I've got some earplugs, PM me your address and ill post them up to ya

JohnCleary wrote:
    What you DRIVE has nothing to do with it, you don't own them. I have DRIVEN an AMG SLK (Or whatever-the-feck) 550, Evo's, Silvia's, etc... what the heck would that have to do with ANYTHING?

Chill out man you've all your life to be a grump oul cnut

Nuzzy has the opion that i havent driven many sporty cars or any variety i was making the point that i had, anyway offtopic.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Volvoboy wrote:
    Hmm, does it appy to non nationals as the lad was Chinnese(sp)

Phone immigration, theres a higher than 50% chance that hes an illegal immigrant ;) Most of those Chinese overstay student visas.

DonJose wrote:
    Phone immigration, theres a higher than 50% chance that hes an illegal immigrant ;) Most of those Chinese overstay student visas.

Dont think so as they are a family and have been there since i moved in, in 1999

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Volvoboy wrote:
    Dont think so as they are a family and have been there since i moved in, in 1999

That doesn't mean they aren't illegal. How many illegal Irish are in the states 20-30 years. Anyway make up a cock and bull story that you have a relative who works in immigration and if he doesn't slow down he'll be paid a visit ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

or maybe tell him again and this time just tell him to slow down or you will be annoyed in a fist to face kinda way!!

i've been the li'l turd annoyin anyone and everyone with my stupid drivin/ loud exhaust and I was lucky enough to not have ever knocked down anyone!!

threatening someone with deportation or a visit from immigration aint really the way to go!!

could get you a visit from the law instead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

My advise would be to have a word with the local Gardai. Just tell them the guy is going a little too fast in a built up area, the Gardai have to take all calls seriously. They might have already been called by another resident.

The Gardai only need to show up at his door, that's enough to scare the crap out of anyone. He'll soon slow down.:)

The least he could do while he's flying about the place, is bring you a chicken curry.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Nuttzy wrote:
    Go and buy yourself a sports car with a standard loud exhaust and liven up a bit, you might enjoy your self.

loud pipes are anti social, as is speeding in a residential area. if you think this is OK behaviour then you deserve either an asbo or to be moved into an estate full of boy racers.

I grew up being able to play on the streets and the neighbours all crawled in their cars because they considered a peacefull, safe road to be more important than the need to get their jollies ini their cars.

VB, you are right to talk to the neighbours and ideally the residents committee, then call the gardai regarding the anti social exhaust boy.

And all, stay off the race thing,,, :( it's irrelevent. all that is relevent is the noise from the car and the driving habits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

loud pipes are anti social, as is speeding in a residential area. if you think this is OK behaviour then you deserve either an asbo or to be moved into an estate full of boy racers.

I grew up being able to play on the streets and the neighbours all crawled in their cars because they considered a peacefull, safe road to be more important than the need to get their jollies ini their cars.
    I agree that he should drive very slowly indeed around the estate, but I can't agree that a loud exhaust is anti social. Are you saying that an Aston Martin DB9 is anti social, or Ferrari, or TVR, or Ducati etc? These are all quite loud and often louder than most 1.3 Lancers with a big bore exhaust. The Lancer might be quite sad, but it might not be illegally loud.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We have a similar problem with 2 cars on our road, problem is that these are not low powered cars, they are loud but that we can handle, its the fact they are speeding on a narrow road, only handle one car at a time, which is busy out with kids.
    A word has been had but has been laughed back in our face, garda were rang when a dog was mowed down but have not done anything about having a word with them, now they are sitting outside the houses at nite revving the crap out of the cars.

At the end of the day we cannot do much about this except warn and warn again the kids to watch the road when they are on it, we are just hoping these guys will grow a bit of sense. One neighbour has threatend to reverse his low loader out in from of them when he hears them, so this could get dirty!! His point is its either them or the kids!

I know of someone who threw a spanner at a car that was speeding by as he worked on his own car in the drive. The driver got out and got hostile over the large dent in the rear quarter panel. However, when the issue of the inviting the gardai around was raised the driver backed down! I don't believe that he sped past that house again!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi all,

I have to wonder why all the talk about if the exhaust is too loud or not, if the lad is yellow or blue, if the OP is old before his time etc etc............Some perspective is called for!

The point is that a plonker is driving in a manner likely to hurt/kill a child in a cul-de-sac and has not responded to a gentle word. The OP does not have kids but is rightly concerned.

I was in a similar situation. Quiet cul-de-sac and 3 lads driving way too fast. I have kids and so do some of the neighbours.
    My solution was to walk out in front of them, hand up like a Garda :), and stop them. The word that I had was far from gentle and worked in 2 out of 3 cases. The third case thought it was funny until I opened his door and impressed my point of view on him. No, I didnt assault him, before the pc brigade get on to me but to be honest I would have done whatever it took to stop a child being killed.

In a perfect world ringing the gardai would be the correct thing to do but I have to wonder if it would do any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

nastysimon wrote:
    I can't agree that a loud exhaust is anti social. Are you saying that an Aston Martin DB9 is anti social, or Ferrari, or TVR, or Ducati etc? These are all quite loud and often louder than most 1.3 Lancers with a big bore exhaust. The Lancer might be quite sad, but it might not be illegally loud.

They are all anti social when being driven with too much throttle or in too low a gear. I've driven 200BHP cars and enjoyed them, but I kept the revs down near houses. you don't need 3,000rpm + in an estate.

you may like induction roar through your K&N and might like the popping on over-run, but others dont. similarly loud stereos have no place in urban settings. Noise pollution is called pollution for a reason.

People who drive like that are at best inconsiderate and at worst feral yobs. Good on the OP. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Hi all,

I have to wonder why all the talk about if the exhaust is too loud or not, if the lad is yellow or blue, if the OP is old before his time etc etc............Some perspective is called for!

The point is that a plonker is driving in a manner likely to hurt/kill a child in a cul-de-sac and has not responded to a gentle word. The OP does not have kids but is rightly concerned.

I was in a similar situation. Quiet cul-de-sac and 3 lads driving way too fast. I have kids and so do some of the neighbours.
    My solution was to walk out in front of them, hand up like a Garda :), and stop them. The word that I had was far from gentle and worked in 2 out of 3 cases. The third case thought it was funny until I opened his door and impressed my point of view on him. No, I didnt assault him, before the pc brigade get on to me but to be honest I would have done whatever it took to stop a child being killed.

In a perfect world ringing the gardai would be the correct thing to do but I have to wonder if it would do any good.

What a really stupid thing to do. If I was in the drivers situation I would have locked my door, picked up my phone and rung the gardai. you could land yourself in a lot of trouble for aggressvie behaviour like that. It could also backfire and you could end up with serious bumps and bruises, lots of fellas including myself carry protection down the side of the drivers seat, id have no hesitation in using it if someone threated me like this.

Its amazing how many self righteous upholders of the law we have on here, quite frankly some of the comments about deporting people etc. make me feel sick and embarrassed to be a fellow Irishman.

Id also like to point out in the young fella in the lancers defence that sound does not always equal speed, id be quite confident that the OP is not only making a meal of this story but is also exaggerating this guys speed because of the sound the car makes. If the guy is not breaking the speed limit then he is doing nothing wrong, he hasnt killed or injured anyone either. If you want him to go slower than the government have decided is safe and appropriate then petition to get speed bumps allocated to the area. Otherwise quit being anal and get on with your own life, people in this country spend so much time worrying and complaining about ****e that they forget to get on with their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

cpoh1 wrote:
    What a really stupid thing to do. lots of fellas including myself carry protection down the side of the drivers seat, id have no hesitation in using it if someone threated me like this.

both actions on are on the same level, imo. Remember, if you clobber someone with your 'protection' - it will be up you to prove that you had absolutely no other option. In the incident that Mr.Diagnostic described, he used no force - maybe opening the door could be perceived, by some, as going too far, but not far enough to warrant an assault on him.
    cpoh1 wrote:
    he hasnt killed or injured anyone either.

Not yet. If the driver in question is driving irresponsibly or wrecklessly, he is a potential hazard on the road. Especially on a road where children are at play.
    cpoh1 wrote:
    quit being anal and get on with your own life,

IMO, the OP is being proactive in relation to the safety of the children on the road. If that's being anal, then I'm proud to say that I too am also anal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I was beaten to it ;), but:
    Originally Posted by cpoh1
    What a really stupid thing to do. If I was in the drivers situation I would have locked my door, picked up my phone and rung the gardai. you could land yourself in a lot of trouble for aggressvie behaviour like that. It could also backfire and you could end up with serious bumps and bruises, lots of fellas including myself carry protection down the side of the drivers seat, id have no hesitation in using it if someone threated me like this.
    Bit of a contradiction there - you'd lock the doors and phone the Gardai, but would have no hesitation in using your 'protection'? If you want real trouble from the law, there's nothing better than producing/using your 'protection'.

If someone tries to give you a slap, or is just talking to you (aggressively or not), and you produce a weapon, I'd imagine you've massively escalated the charges that could be brought against you. A scuffle in the road wouldn't make the local rag, assault with a deadly weapon probably would...

Couldn't agree more with crosstownk's last statement, driving like a c@ck on a road full of kids (if that's whats happening, never mind the exhaust volume) is inexcusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Victor wrote:
    If it is a modded exhaust, Noise Pollution Act + Garda

Guys, there IS NO LAW against after market exhausts. Ivor Callelly tried to bring one in but was booted out of office by Bertie for being a tit (rightly so too). There is an EU law that your exhaust has to be below a certain amount of DB but that is not really practiced here. Also the DB level is high enough to allow for motorbikes and the like, which in reality is about the same as a car with a modded exhaust. Your car can be siezed if you have a non functional or damaged exhaust as the silencer is required but good luck doing someone in court for that as it's not actually specific.

I have a loud aftermarket exhaust, but it's only loud noise when you rev the **** out of the engine, which I suspect what your neighbour is doing.

Gatster wrote:
    Bit of a contradiction there - you'd lock the doors and phone the Gardai, but would have no hesitation in using your 'protection'? If you want real trouble from the law, there's nothing better than producing/using your 'protection'.

There's no contradiction here. If I was presented with this situation I would lock my door and call the gardai. This is threatening and aggressive behaviour and a garda would take the situation seriously, nobody has the right to impede someone and intimidate them its a public order offence. If I was caught unawares and somebody opened my car door without my permission in a forceful manner they would get a baton across the arm and a trip to the A&E.

The facts are as follows:

No laws were broken here, if the government find it appropriate to give residential areas a 50kph speed limit thats fine by me and more importantly the gardai.

If your kids are the kind to walk across a road with traffic on it without looking for a car then maybe they need to be taught the green cross code or even better dont leave them outside unsupervised if you cant trust them to behave themselves. Whether a car is doing 25kph or 80kph theyre going to get a slap of a car if theyre stupid enough to walk out in front of one. Worry about the things you CAN control like your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've a feeling you own a car like this, and have gotten given out to over something similiar. You don't know anything apart from what the OP told you but you're quite happy to assume he's exaggerating.

What makes you think he's doing nothing wrong?
    Loud exhausts are anti social and damn annoying, and the fast driving is dangerous in an estate. Yer man is leaving his house. There's no need to do anything more than fifteen mph til he leaves any area where kids are around.
    I've a stereo that can be extremely annoying if I have it up loud around my house. So I keep it down.

layke wrote:
    Guys, there IS NO LAW against after market exhausts. Ivor Callelly tried to bring one in but was booted out of office by Bertie for being a tit (rightly so too).
    Firstly Ivor the Engine didn't try to bring out a law - he proposed a change to the current laws!
    However, I think Victor's point was that the law against most aftermarket exhaust back boxes relate to noise pollution laws which are AFAIK legal.
    The following EU directives may or may not have been implemented here (can someone clarify?):
    MOTOR VEHICLE EXHAUST SYSTEMS COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 70/157/EEC
    This Directive introduced limits for noise levels from motor vehicles. Trains, agricultural tractors and public works vehicles are not included under the Directive which laid down maximum sound levels and the requirements for measuring them. Requirements for exhaust silencers are included in the Annexes. This Directive has been amended several times as follows:
    COMMISSION DIRECTIVE 73/350/EEC expanding on legislation regarding silencers.
    COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 77/212/EEC further tightened sound limits as did COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 84/424/EEC.

COMMISSION DIRECTIVE 81/334/EEC amending test procedures to take account of the increased number of gears and to allow Member States to approve replacement silencers on passenger and light commercial vehicles.

COMMISSION DIRECTIVE 84/372/EEC amended these requirements to allow for better measurement of sound levels in urban traffic conditions in line with UNEC Regulation 51.
    DIRECTIVE 84/424/EEC dealt with deadlines for compliance under the Directive.

MOTORCYCLES: COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 78/1015/EEC set limits on sound levels from motorcycles, laid down requirements for exhaust silencers systems and established a harmonised testing procedure for implementation in Member States. Noise levels for engines with a capacity of less than 80cm3 were limited at 78 dB(A) or below, while those over 500 cm3 were set at 86 dB(A) or below.
    DIRECTIVE 87/56/EEC reduced the number of motorcycle categories to three and set a two-stage reduction in the noise limit values for each category. Motorcycles under 175 cm3 were restricted to a limit of 82 dB(A) by 1988, to be reduced to 80 dB(A) by 1993.
    DIRECTIVE 89/235/EEC included replacement exhaust systems and defined a test procedure in Annex II.
    Also AFAIK a local authority can take action to deal with a noise nuisance.

cpoh1 wrote:
    If I was caught unawares and somebody opened my car door without my permission in a forceful manner they would get a baton across the arm and a trip to the A&E.

And you could well find yourself in the nearest Garda station with an assault charge.
    cpoh1 wrote:
    Whether a car is doing 25kph or 80kph theyre going to get a slap of a car if theyre stupid enough to walk out in front of one. Worry about the things you CAN control like your children.

Children are unpredictable and cannot be expected to behave like adults. Are you trying to say that just because it's a road that there is no need to exercise caution when children are at play? While there are accidents that are unavoidable, surely there is a better chance of stopping the car before hitting the child at 25km/h than there is at 80km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by cpoh1
    If your kids are the kind to walk across a road with traffic on it without looking for a car then maybe they need to be taught the green cross code or even better dont leave them outside unsupervised if you cant trust them to behave themselves. Whether a car is doing 25kph or 80kph theyre going to get a slap of a car if theyre stupid enough to walk out in front of one.
    Are you stupid enough to suggest that going 80kph in an area where there are obviously kids present (in the road or not) is Ok?

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/slowdown/download/2005tv.mpg

Do you speed past schools, waving your 'protection' out of the window?

crosstownk wrote:
    Are you trying to say that just because it's a road that there is no need to excercise caution when children? While there are accidents that are unavoidable, surely there is a better chance of stopping the car before hitting the child at 20km/h than there is at 80km/h.

Surely children can be expected to have a look and exercise caution before running out on a road with regular traffic flow, even if its a cul de sac? Sure there is a need to exercsie caution and be aware of children in built up areas but the law has also decreed that 50kph is a safe speed limit in these areas, its up to parents to be responsible and have control of their children at all times. This is the 21st century with over a million cars on the road, if a parent feels their child may be unpredicatable as you put it, should they really be allowing them out unsupervised thus putting them in harms way? Its irresponsible parenting if they are ok with this risk and blaming people in cars is dodging their own responsibilty.

@wetpaint, my exhaust is not loud and I have never been pulled over something like this, what constitues fast driving? Over the speed limit? What you think is too fast? My granny thinks over 20mph is too fast, doesnt make it fact. If its below the speed limit its no too fast end of story.

Gatster wrote:
    Are you stupid enough to suggest that going 80kph in an area where there are obviously kids present (in the road or not) is Ok?

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/slowdown/download/2005tv.mpg

Do you speed past schools, waving your 'protection' out of the window?

I say egg, you say chicken. Typical of the posters on here instead of answering my valid points about parents responsibilities in looking after unsupervised children on public roads they go off in a tangent.

Are you stupid enough to suggest that me making a point that if a child walks out in front of a car the fact that its travelling 25kph or 80kpgh will not prevent that child from being runover equates to me speeding in residential areas? Gatser go away and have a drink of water and relax.

• Advertisement

cpoh1 wrote:
    Surely children can be expected to have a look and exercise caution before running out on a road with regular traffic flow, even if its a cul de sac?

That depends on the age of the child - what about a bunch of 3 year olds out playing on the road in a quiet cul-de-sac? Do you seriously expect them to be continuously on the look out for traffic? Sure, there's probably a parent or two somewhere keeping an eye on things - but what is a parent to do if a car comes down the road at an unsafe speed? Do you think the parent will get to the car and whisk the children to safety before the car hits them?
    cpoh1 wrote:
    Sure there is a need to exercsie caution and be aware of children in built up areas but the law has also decreed that 50kph is a safe speed limit in these areas,

Just because there is a limit posted doesn't exhonerate you from the fact that you are expected to drive with due care and attention for other road users - pedestrians included. I'd imagine that children at play in a cul-de-sac would constitute pedestrians.

cpoh1 wrote:
    If its below the speed limit its no too fast end of story.

Complete rubbish. Drive at the limit provided it is safe to do so.

Advertisement