Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Feckin' Modified Car On Me Road!!!!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

nastysimon wrote:
    Speed ramps are not the best solution (I've seen what joy riders can use them for) and will increase the noise pollution (I know, I lived beside them and the noise of cars accelerating between them is greater than if they didn't exist). Your neighbour will roar up to them, crawl over them and roar to the next.

Good point - never thought of that :rolleyes:

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

stovelid wrote:
    Are you taking the f*ckin piss here?

If you're driving at a responsible speed around an estate, you can easily stop safely in most emergencies and avoid hitting a dog or kid.

Housing estates are not a f8cking dual carriageways.

WRONG!!!

Several years ago I hit a dog on an estate, despite only doing 5-10mph. The reason: it ran out under my REAR wheels. What was I supposed to do about that? My brother had a similar situation where he hit a dog with the front of the car. He couldn't do anything as the dog had just jumped over a high wall, so he couldn't see it coming.

CPOH has made a couple of valid points; children need better supervision, and need to be reprimanded when they're bold. However, everyone seems to see the supervision as somebody elses job, and you can't give your child a whack on the arse for misbehaving/not doing as it's told, as that's now "abuse" thanks to the ridiculously PC world we now live in.

Also, the noise of a car does not equal the speed it may be doing, and the louder a car is, the faster people perceive it to be moving.

All that said, in a housing estate, around schools, town centres, or anywhere else where children are likely to run out of their parents control, caution MUST be exercised. I feel that in these examples the limit can be far too generous.

Also, what a car owner may not deem to be loud as they've become too used to it, everyone else just finds to be an irritant.

Then we have all the BS and chest inflation of stopping cars and defending oneself against the car-stopper and ringing immigration and stinger strips et al ad nauseum; very simply put, PUT DOWN THE EGOS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

VB; have you and the woman you spoke to considered ringing traffic watch, seperately, and reporting this guy? Alternatively, find out who your local community Garda is (as opposed to the guy manning the desk at your local station), and harass him about it; if he gets enough calls from enough people, he'll eventually do something about it just to get rid of ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fey! wrote:
    WRONG!!!

Several years ago I hit a dog on an estate, despite only doing 5-10mph. The reason: it ran out under my REAR wheels. What was I supposed to do about that? My brother had a similar situation where he hit a dog with the front of the car. He couldn't do anything as the dog had just jumped over a high wall, so he couldn't see it coming.

CPOH has made a couple of valid points; children need better supervision, and need to be reprimanded when they're bold. However, everyone seems to see the supervision as somebody elses job, and you can't give your child a whack on the arse for misbehaving/not doing as it's told, as that's now "abuse" thanks to the ridiculously PC world we now live in.

Also, the noise of a car does not equal the speed it may be doing, and the louder a car is, the faster people perceive it to be moving.

All that said, in a housing estate, around schools, town centres, or anywhere else where children are likely to run out of their parents control, caution MUST be exercised. I feel that in these examples the limit can be far too generous.

Also, what a car owner may not deem to be loud as they've become too used to it, everyone else just finds to be an irritant.

Then we have all the BS and chest inflation of stopping cars and defending oneself against the car-stopper and ringing immigration and stinger strips et al ad nauseum; very simply put, PUT DOWN THE EGOS!

I said most emergencies Fey, not all.

People can't plead the speed limit, negligent parents or dog owners if they hit something when they are not regulating their speed according to the potential risk.

When I drive through my own estate, I just want to completely minimize the chance of running down somebody's kid or even dog. Whether or not the parents are supervising the kid properly is not really a consideration for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

kbannon wrote:
    Im sure you mind the aftermath though. I could never imagine the difficulty you guys have in knocking on the next-of-kin's door.

True enough point. I personally feel much worse where the actions of someone else (who survives most of the time) meant that someone else died. That's a hard story to tell to next of kin. Sometimes its like relaying news, sometimes its very emotional for all concerned, guards and families.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

maidhc wrote:
    ....There is little more pathetic though than an idiot in a Lancer 1.3 and a loud exhaust driving around. What is the point in it?
    jonny24ie wrote:
    Individuality!!

LOL. I thought it was req for pizza delivery. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If its loud and and hes racing just keep reporting him. Someone will eventually get bored of the hassle.

Advertisement