Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mad !

Options
  • 15-07-2007 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

After recently posting a thread here regarding the NON availability of broadband locally, I thought if people in the area simply switched their telephone providers away from Eircom explaining the reason to eircom as "hey you dont provide a service" that the loss in revenue might get them to at least agree to upgrading exchanges !

I am off now to sit on my candyfloss seat and look at my chocalate swimming pool ! ;)

Yes I am mad..
    Ballon, county Carlow !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

stone mad..

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

sunny2004 wrote:
    After recently posting a thread here regarding the NON availability of broadband locally, I thought if people in the area simply switched their telephone providers away from Eircom explaining the reason to eircom as "hey you dont provide a service" that the loss in revenue might get them to at least agree to upgrading exchanges !

I am off now to sit on my candyfloss seat and look at my chocalate swimming pool ! ;)

Yes I am mad..
    Ballon, county Carlow !

Even at that they still have there hand in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Thank you, I was starting to think I was sane ;)
    But I am going to do it anyway ! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only cancelling the phone line deprives eircom. They make almost as much if you use ANY alternate supplier via phone, even Smart Telecom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes Eircom provides the service wholesale to most other providers. So even if you switch they still get a big share of the profit.

• Advertisement

But they dont get my calls, which run much more than the rental, they must feel it if they keep sending people around to win customers back !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Watty, if you take an average re-seller, offering an all inclusive package (line rental, unlimited national calls) for around 30euro pm. Roughly what percentage of that gets handed back to Eircom.
    And as Eircom are the wholesalers, why do they allow resellers to offer cheaper packages than their own ?
    sunny2004 wrote:
    Am I Mad ?

From Ballon ?? Completely Barking !!

Rofl !

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Watty, if you take an average re-seller, offering an all inclusive package (line rental, unlimited national calls) for around 30euro pm. Roughly what percentage of that gets handed back to Eircom.
    And as Eircom are the wholesalers, why do they allow resellers to offer cheaper packages than their own ?

From Ballon ?? Completely Barking !!
    They are not allowed to undercut, in the interests of Competition,

Some resellers & ISPs lose MORE money the more customers they get as they are trying to build market share.

Roughly 75% could go to eircom and out of the other 25% the reseller has to pay all their marketing, support, staff, overheads. So eircom Wholesale in real terms make a higher profit margin. I'm sure B&B the owners would love to con ESOT and others into buying the high overheads low profit margin eircom retail :)

I am still of the belief that pulling your custom from eircom has to be the best way !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sunny2004 wrote:
    I am still of the belief that pulling your custom from eircom has to be the best way !
    Well yes as long as you don't use someone who is just re-selling an eircom package. Going to one of the wireless providers (e.g. digiweb or IBB) or cable provides (e.g. NTl or Magnet as long as it was there ftth offering) will hurt eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well yes as long as you don't use someone who is just re-selling an eircom package. Going to one of the wireless providers (e.g. digiweb or IBB) or cable provides (e.g. NTl or Magnet as long as it was there ftth offering) will hurt eircom.

And for alot of use that would mean doing without a phoneline and broadband.
    Would you be willing to do that sunny2004?

About 65% of people have no choice if they want Broadband. Using Smart, Magnet, Digiweb or BT LLU/GLUMP gives lots of money to Eircom. Using any bitstream reseller gives a little more money to eircom (BT, UTV, Digiweb, Perlico etc DSL).

Only wireless, satellite, cable and fibre avoids eircom.

Mind you the percentage of households with phone line has fallen from 82% before privatisation to 70% now, so some people are ditching eircom.

Update.. I have just put in the paperwork for a transfer of all my calls !
    I will not be with eircom much longer ! Well partly, but every bit counts..
    I feel a little better that I am not taking this lack of service lying down..
    Now off to sell the idea to neighbours ! :);)

Advertisement