Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is my line capable of?

Options
  • 15-07-2007 2:11pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm just wondering what my line is capable of. I'm currently on a 1mbit package with eircom but I would probably upgrade it if I could. My line attenuation is 34/22 dB. Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its 2 anyway and probably 3 . Whats your snr margin which is in expert mode > trouble shooting > dsl on a netopia ??

Upgrades are free, start by going to 2 for a month and and then see what your stats are before you chance 3 .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cheers for the help man. My sn margin is. Downstream: 21.50 Upstream: 26.00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

I have very stable 3072/384 here with attenuation figures of 45/28. SNR varies a bit but usually about 12.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well I have no idea what the stats mean. Is it the lower the better or the higher the better. My attenuation is lower than yours but my sn is higher(well that's if I have the right value).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Nilhg's stats would be at about the limit for a line to have no probs with 3 mbps.

AC, your line is of a much better quality so I'd expect a theoretical maximum reliable speed of a bit over 4 mbps. Which is plenty of headroom for the best available residential eircom/reseller packages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Upgrades are free

:eek: since when ? I presume that eircom will charge you the upgrade rental price from as soon as you request it, and if it doesn't work will only drop the price again from the next billing period ?

If that's not the case, then fair play to them, they're not as bad as I thought!

sorry Liam. Of course there is a higher charge per month after you upgrade.

There is no charge to upgrade but there is a charge of at least €30 to downgrade even if you were sold a package that is unsustainably high for your line by eircom .

Nilhg's stats would be at about the limit for a line to have no probs with 3 mbps.

AC, your line is of a much better quality so I'd expect a theoretical maximum reliable speed of a bit over 4 mbps. Which is plenty of headroom for the best available residential eircom/reseller packages.
    Very nice. That is what I was hoping to hear and more.Cheers for the help lads. I won't be upgrading it until about September or so but good to hear. @Nilhg Nah nah nah nah nah nah. My lines better than yours. :p

Bit of a bumperooney here. I've just found out that smart are enabling the Sligo exchange which means that broadband of up to 7mbps a second is coming my way. I'm just wondering given my stats what speeds do you reckon it will be capable of. As was said by to_be_confirmed I should be able of over 4mbps but will I be able to get anything better? I won't be at home to check ant of the line stats until next weekend but I provided some earlier in the thread. Cheers for any help lads.

use this calculator ( Smart are ADSL2+ while eircom are ADSL)

http://www2.farina1.com/ADSL/default.aspx

you tell us what it says.

Smart are generally much cheaper and much faster than eircom at all times.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    use this calculator ( Smart are ADSL2+ while eircom are ADSL)

http://www2.farina1.com/ADSL/default.aspx

you tell us what it says.

Smart are generally much cheaper and much faster than eircom at all times.

Cheers for that sponge bob. I know smart are cheaper and I was going to move my parents over to them (if they can sort out the number switching) even if I couldn't go any higher but I just wanted to see what it was capable of. It says I should get line speeds of 14181Kbps which surprised me. I didn't think it would be that high. :)

Advertisement