Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet ISP

Options
  • 15-07-2007 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

So, I've moved into a new apartment, and it seems that Magnet are the only ones to service the area with TV, phone and broadband (I'm waiting for BT to come back to me on the phone & broadband).

Just wanted to know if Magnet are any good? It's weird, 'cause the apartment has Ethernet ports all over it (I thought they were phone sockets at first), and I was told that the TV decoder plugs into these. And I'm wondering if they give the whole apartment its own VLAN or something. Do I even need a modem? Because the guy on the sales line seemed sorta flippant about that, and said I could pick one up. Yet a Magnet representative in the area said the computer plugs straight into the ethernet socket.

Any opinions, thoughts, experience would be appreciated! =)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So, I've moved into a new apartment, and it seems that Magnet are the only ones to service the area with TV, phone and broadband (I'm waiting for BT to come back to me on the phone & broadband).

Just wanted to know if Magnet are any good? It's weird, 'cause the apartment has Ethernet ports all over it (I thought they were phone sockets at first), and I was told that the TV decoder plugs into these. And I'm wondering if they give the whole apartment its own VLAN or something. Do I even need a modem? Because the guy on the sales line seemed sorta flippant about that, and said I could pick one up. Yet a Magnet representative in the area said the computer plugs straight into the ethernet socket.

Any opinions, thoughts, experience would be appreciated! =)

There are estates and apartment blocks that are entirely and exclusively serviced by some providers, such as Smart do in Smithfield. Sounds like it's Magnet in your case, so I doubt BT is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

They will have hooked you up for Fibre to the home.
    8Mbits up / 8Mbits down.
    You wouldn't really want to go with ESAT for BB when there's fibre available.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Excellent for BB but rubbish for TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

excellent for broadband,
    miles better than ntl for tv.
    free phone calls so cant complain.

its a weird setup.
    i have their adsl service, everything gets its own public ip,
    but everything connected to the modem is on a lan for file sharing too.
    im not sure how it works tbh.

i have adsl with them and get 1.2 - 1.5 mBps (11-12mbps) consistently

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

their modem has 4 ports, and wireless. each device connected gets its own public IP. There is no LAN side to it, and each device will create a new public uplink. If you wish to have local transfers, then you would need to get a router, and connect it to the modem, and then connect any LAN portions to your router.

There is likely a concealed cabinet containing the modem etc.
    The phone ports are also hooked up to the modem, and uses Magnet VOIP, however call rates are based on Eircoms tariffs, with a certain percentage taken off, so i imagine they make a lot of money on that part of the service also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Hi,

I have 4mb up and down, which is great.....I have NTL for TV but with the deal I got from magnet..2 Free months, 4mb Broadband, TV and Phone then 30 euro for the following 10 months I got the TV box anyway....had no problems with the TV (NTL I have had loads, same with their broadband)....

They have 8mb up/down, but you have to get a tv package with that, while the 4mb broadband can be separate...

To answer one of your questions...the network cables in each room can be plugged straight into your ethernet port, or if you wish into a wireless router which you can pick up for around 60 euro...they did not provide me with a router/modem of any sort, the only box I got was for the TV.....

I would go for it...and see if they have a special offer as they appear to do for most Fibre to home developments...

Advertisement