Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use ethernet and USB broadband at same time?

Options
  • 15-07-2007 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I have a modem from my internet supplier and it has one ethernet socket and one USB socket on it.

If I ran an ethernet cable from it to one PC in one room and I also ran a USB cable from it to another PC in another room, would it be possible for both PCs to connect to the internet at the same time using this one modem?

Just wondered if this would work in case two people wanted to use the net at the same time.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

am....You can, well I can on my digiweb modem....you can get an adapter for 2 ethernet wires in maplin too im sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

yes, because im doing it with 2 pc's sidebyside atm (linux/windows) using ZyXel prestige router

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

yep, no problemo... or as already suggested you can buy an ethernet splitter if you want but why bother?
    just get long enough cables!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Thanks very much for the info guys; you're a great help! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Depends on which modem/router you have - Zyxel Prestige 623 can but Creative 8133U cannot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Place the USB connected pc as close as you can, the ethernet cable will be better over longer distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

wingnut wrote:
    Place the USB connected pc as close as you can, the ethernet cable will be better over longer distances.
    What is the maximum length a USB cable could be before the signal started to be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Something like 5 metres. Whereas Ethernet is 100 metres or 93 metres or something like that.

Google to be sure.

Advertisement