Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuntman Ignition demo = eight thumbs up

• 15-07-2007 4:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I always thought that if Stuntman hadn't have been so insultingly difficult (give the last level a whirl if you really want a videogame to test your patience) it would have been one of the best driving games of last gen. It was still a very good game though, but would have been better if the developers didn't take pleasure in seeing you cry.

But anyway, Live's E3 coverage continues to assault my download capacity. Stuntman Ignition demo is just out as part of said coverage, and the game has shot up my most wanted list after playing.

Three stunts for the prive of your 600 odd MB download, and three terrific ones at that. The first two are taken from a Dante's Peak rip off, in which you escape flying pieces of rock and the like. Both are excellent, giving the same formula from the initial game a next gen coating. These levels arent as difficult as what the original taunted us with, and the handling is much more arcadey than said title. You will still give both levels numerous attempts before you pull them off, but the difficulty level has certainly been altered in the gamer's favour. However, for the hardcore Stuntman fan (anyone?) the new combo system adds a whole new level of "FU" difficulty. It works excellently, with you constantly having to be trying to improv stunts (destroying boxes, scraping cars etc...) in between the set director stunts in order to keep your combo up. If you can succesfully keep up a string to get a five star stunt here, you have my kudos. Me, I could only muster up a pathetic two stars but I am going to try again later.

The third stunt is where the demo really comes to life. A rip off of the ice chase in Die Another Day, this level will have you exclaim loudly "Woah! I f***ing shot that!". Possibly. Unlikely. Play it yourself, but any level which starts off with you shooting down helicopters with missiles is good in my book.

Anyway, this has been quite rambling for a post about a demo. But it is a terrific one. Download it. Totally worth it. As long as you suspend your disbelief on two central issues: a) where are all the cameras? and b) What kind of foolish director does a whole stunt scene in one take? Amateur.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I wasn't overly impressed with it, I might have to give it another lash now after reading that post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I loved the first one, although i didnt complete it as sold my ps2 too quick!

this is pretty good, and as johnny pointed out, the ice stunt (rip off of bond even the music) is pure class - great addition to the game - hopefully it will be packed with stunts like this :D amazing!

i prefer the handling in the old game to be honest and hope they fix the frame rate when this is released and also have longer stunts then l'll defo buy it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

I only got this yesterday, I was a huge fan of the old one!! Completed the old one a few times... I've only played the first level of the demo to try and get the clean string, I'm close tho!! I'm definitly gonna buy it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Julez wrote:
    I only got this yesterday, I was a huge fan of the old one!! Completed the old one a few times... I've only played the first level of the demo to try and get the clean string, I'm close tho!! I'm definitly gonna buy it!

I got through the first one in one combo last night. It took numerous attempts, but is very satisfying. Just remember to get the string you can miss director tricks if you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have to say it is very enjoyable - can't fniish the last stunt though - keep crashing as the ice falls down on me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Waaaay! Strung the first and last stunts... God I love stuntman!! The was my least favorite so I'll get to stringing that another time... Great game tho, can't wait till it comes out!!

Advertisement