Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to use 3G broadband with xbox live?

• 15-07-2007 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hey all, does anyone know if it is possible to use xbox live with 3G broadband.
    Moving into a new appt soon and the local cable broadband isn't available in the area. Would it be possible to use for example 3's (as in the company Three) broadband connected to a router and have both the PC and 360 running off of it.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A friend of mine just got 3G broadband last week and its really slow. Sometimes his download speeds drop below that of a dial up connection and on a rare occasion it may reach 600kbps. He just uses connection his for browsing.

I don't think it would be fast enough for Live at all, don't even know if it's compatable with 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Cheers anyway captain. They have a 15 day return policy with it anyway so i might just try it and see. Anyone else have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭deadduck

i got PGR3 running on it 1 night no probs, but pro evo was unplayable. dunno if i was just lucky, but PGR played a dream. mght be down to the type of game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

yes i use vodafones 3g modem for xbox live and its works very well i can play most games on live if you want to know how to set it up pm me i use the modem with a laptop and the eternet cable connects from my laptop to my 360 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Your speeds are totally variable with 3G broadband really, one night it could be great and the next it could be dire. Your ping is never going to be below 100-150ms with 3G broadband, could be as high as 500-600. 30-40 is what you'd get with a wired internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

My xbox broke there about a month ago and only got it back at the weekend. I have bought a 3 datamodem in the meantime. Tried to hook up to xbox live last night with it but it comes up with an IP address fail when the live check is done. Does anyone know how to get around this? Cheers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It is possible - I do it.

It can be done in a few steps. First, you have to setup ICS (Internet connection sharing) on your PC, then plug your XBox360 into your network (you can even do it if you only have one PC - but you need a crossover cable).

It does work, but is VERY slow. Downloading games and whatnot takes HOURS, and note that demos are usually a gig or more, so it will eat into your 3G quota if your not careful.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/windowsics-usb.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I use voda3g modem and all games work online. I live in the countryside miles from anywhere so 3g was my only option for broadband. I usually get 1meg speed down and 350k up ( to check speeds i use speedtest.ie )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davemul

Hey guys, I need help
    I have tried to connect my xbox through the vodafone 3g modem through ICS but my xbox keeps failing on the network settings on IP settings. I have called xbox and they told me I need the ip address of the vodafone modem. Vodafone wouldnt give me the ip though. Can somebody please help. What should all of my settings be at on my x box and my laptop.

Assistance would be really appericated.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

You need to set up internet connection sharing just google ics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 largetime

davemul wrote: »
    Hey guys, I need help
    I have tried to connect my xbox through the vodafone 3g modem through ICS but my xbox keeps failing on the network settings on IP settings. I have called xbox and they told me I need the ip address of the vodafone modem. Vodafone wouldnt give me the ip though. Can somebody please help. What should all of my settings be at on my x box and my laptop.

Assistance would be really appericated.

Dave

Hey man

It's not the ip address of the modem you need, the issue is getting your xbox talking to your pc correctly. Assuming you have the 3G modem working on your laptop/pc, and your 360 is connected to the pc (either use a crossover cable to connect it directly, or connect them together using a hub) You may still need to hardcode the IP addresses for both your laptops network port, and your xbox.

ICS is meant to handle this automatically but can be tempermental, so go start->control panel->network connections and then right click on your laptops network connection that the XBox is connected to (Local area connection.) click properties and double click 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP'

Under the general tab click use the following ip address and set it to 192.168.0.1 Use the default subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Leave the default gateway blank and forget about the DNS settings too.

Now fire up your Xbox on the dashboard and set the xbox IP to something in the same range. Use 192.168.0.2 for example.

Assuming you have the ICS working (you can google this, or go to the xbox site) This will work.

I've been using my 02 modem like this for months and it works great. The guys who say the connection is too slow are probably just crap at games ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jehovajones

largetime wrote: »
    Hey man

It's not the ip address of the modem you need, the issue is getting your xbox talking to your pc correctly. Assuming you have the 3G modem working on your laptop/pc, and your 360 is connected to the pc (either use a crossover cable to connect it directly, or connect them together using a hub) You may still need to hardcode the IP addresses for both your laptops network port, and your xbox.

ICS is meant to handle this automatically but can be tempermental, so go start->control panel->network connections and then right click on your laptops network connection that the XBox is connected to (Local area connection.) click properties and double click 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP'

Under the general tab click use the following ip address and set it to 192.168.0.1 Use the default subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Leave the default gateway blank and forget about the DNS settings too.

Now fire up your Xbox on the dashboard and set the xbox IP to something in the same range. Use 192.168.0.2 for example.

Assuming you have the ICS working (you can google this, or go to the xbox site) This will work.

I've been using my 02 modem like this for months and it works great. The guys who say the connection is too slow are probably just crap at games ;)

Hey, ive done all that now. (thanks btw! yer the reason my LAN connection is active between my box and laptop!)
    but ive tried the ICS settings on xbox.com but they dont work.
    i dont know what to do, its still failing the IP address check.

vodafone is down on my laptop as a dial up connection. and xbox said it should be a LAN or High-Speed Internet connection.
    i honestly am stumped!

any further help would be highly appreciated. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davemul

I use Vodafone 3g to connect and it works great. Took me a while to set up ICS (internet connection sharing) through my laptop. Couldnt find the answers I needed anywhere. Here is a guide for everybody that needs it!

You need to get your computer/laptop to communicate with your x box. Best way I found was

Click start on the computer and go to accessories, down to communications and then click on "New Connections Wizard". This should take you through the steps.

Other one is to use "windows connect now". Only thing is you need to be using xp or later. You can look up more info at

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/windowsconnectnow.mspx

or

just follow the instructions below.

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

If you're using the Category view of Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Wireless Network Setup Wizard. If you're using the Classic view of Control Panel, click Wireless Network Setup Wizard.

Follow the instructions on your screen.

Tip for anybody using any of the 3g, watch your usage limit.
    Mine is 5gb which is alot, in an 8 hr game sesssion I only used 139mb but be careful or you will get a big bill!

You can use

http://www.unit-conversion.info/computer.html

to convert your usage!

Happy gaming.

Dave:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jehovajones

hey, i tried that but i dont really know what i was meant to do within the setup wizards.

could ye please give us a bit more help.

Thanks man.

i ran the connect now thing, and when i tried to set it up with the flash drive in my xbox, it said i need to connect a wireless adaptor.

any clue?

and i dont know what the "new connection wizard" is meant to do. because i dont know what new connection to make. i already have a connection between the box and laptop.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I typed up a guide for this and have bumped it but noone seems to give a ****.
    Search for it, it's should be a page or two down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭jv2000

If you're running an xp operating system on your pc here's a really good tutorial on how to connect to xbox live:

http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/XBoxLiveTheGuide3.php?title=How%20do%20I%20set-up%20ICS%20Internet%20Connection%20Sharing?

If somebody has put this up already sorry!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

hey guys does anyone know how to do this with a mac ? i'm getting o2 broadband today and want to hook it up to xbox live. cheers :)

Mods should sticky one of these topics, It comes up 1-2 times a week.
    If you're on Vista, consider reading this guide I wrote before:

"If you're like me and the only Broadband you have available is the 3G Modem, then don't worry. I have successfully set up my laptop as a modem using shared internet connection and I will describe the simple procedure below in case anyone is stuck.
    It works very well too - I can download a 100MB arcade demo in maybe 15 mins. Not too bad considering, Plus I've played Team Fortress 2, Gears of War, and the Lost Planet online demo with seemingly no lag.
    Instructions are assuming you're on Windows Vista.
    Anywa you will need the ethernet cable that came with your 360.
    Now go to control panel, click "Network Sharing and Tasks"
    Click "view Status" and then click "Properties"
    Go to the "sharing" tab and simply check the "allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" box. click ok.
    Now simply plug the 360 ethernet connection into the pc and into the back of the xbox. You should be able to connect to Xbox Live and claim your 1 month's free Gold membership!!"

Just tried to connect to Xbox live there using three and couldn't connect.
    Kept getting an "ip address failed" message.
    It was the first time i've tried to connect in a while as I just got Burnout Paradise and wanted to see if an update was available.

Anyone know why I'm getting said message when I didn't before?
    I used be able to connect via Three broadband before no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Is there any way to make clearwire any faster through ICS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Is there any way to make clearwire any faster through ICS?

your right beside the tower for **** sake, you dont need it faster, full green connection on call of duty last nite haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

It makes no odds if i live in the tower, i want faster clearwire!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 arney

Can you please tell me how to connect to xbox live using 3G. I have tried everything and the IP address keeps failing. Thanks

arney wrote: »
    Can you please tell me how to connect to xbox live using 3G. I have tried everything and the IP address keeps failing. Thanks

I used to be able to connect via Three broadband but like you my IP keeps failing these days and I don't know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smiler84

am new to this forum :). I want to use my 3G usb broadband but dont no if it works on xbox live. I have a router but it hasnt got any usb ports on it. 3 questions

1. can i hook 3G broadband with my xbox 360?
    2. how?
    3. and what do i need?

I was told by three network that i wont be able to use my 3G usb modem on xbox 360 :( . can any1 prove them wrong? am not accepting threes answer llf

arney wrote: »

You can't connect to live with Three anymore.

Everyone has the same IP address. That's what's causing the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

jayteecork wrote: »
    You can't connect to live with Three anymore.

Everyone has the same IP address. That's what's causing the problems.

ah shi*e!
    is this true?? :mad: i havent been able to get on for a while now is this the reason why?

anyone know a way round it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There is no way around it. Ms must have blocked 3 users as they are all using the same IP address so they can't block one person misbehaving on the network. They have to block all the users using that IP.

This is yet another example of why 3 are not a real ISP and why Comreg, our equally useless regulator should be taking action against this half arsed ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

smiler84 wrote: »
    am new to this forum :). I want to use my 3G usb broadband but dont no if it works on xbox live. I have a router but it hasnt got any usb ports on it. 3 questions

1. can i hook 3G broadband with my xbox 360?
    2. how?
    3. and what do i need?

I was told by three network that i wont be able to use my 3G usb modem on xbox 360 :( . can any1 prove them wrong? am not accepting threes answer llf

I am in the same situation as you but i got a techie to set me up. I had to get a "gigabit USB 2.0 network adapter" it converts usb to ethernet...cool.
    lately I upgraded to a vista computer and i cant get back online with xbox. I keep failing at DNS.... I have a wired connection from my router to my xbox but want to keep my wireless router for other pc's (im with voda3g)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

jv2000 wrote: »
    If you're running an xp operating system on your pc here's a really good tutorial on how to connect to xbox live:

http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk/XBoxLiveTheGuide3.php?title=How%20do%20I%20set-up%20ICS%20Internet%20Connection%20Sharing?

If somebody has put this up already sorry!:rolleyes:

There are many sites showing how to do this for free.
    No way would I send anyone to a site like that who want to charge for info thats freely available.

Advertisement