Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to use 3G broadband with xbox live?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol if there site is as popular as they say, they can fund the cost from advertising.

I prefer this link:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/windowsics-usb.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JDXX

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Hey all, does anyone know if it is possible to use xbox live with 3G broadband.
    Moving into a new appt soon and the local cable broadband isn't available in the area. Would it be possible to use for example 3's (as in the company Three) broadband connected to a router and have both the PC and 360 running off of it.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

hi there people, i understand that people are having trouble getting connected to xbox live with 3g dongles....?
    plus i understand no one knows about using one which is on orange network? well iv got the orange icon 225 3g dongle and il tell you what.... its brill!!!! iv not had one problem setting up the xbox live with this and the orange network is perfect. i dont tell you a lie but my reception is either 1 bar(poor signal) or 2 bars (ok-ish signal) and xbox live runs like a dream. no jerks, no connection error and been playing all weekend. all i did was plug ethernet to my laptop, clicked connect then switched the 360 on and loads my profile with no probs!!!!
    any questions please get intouch and il help if i can. inabit! jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭steve927

jayteecork wrote: »
    Instructions are assuming you're on Windows Vista.
    Anywa you will need the ethernet cable that came with your 360.
    Now go to control panel, click "Network Sharing and Tasks"
    Click "view Status" and then click "Properties"
    Go to the "sharing" tab and simply check the "allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" box. click ok.
    Now simply plug the 360 ethernet connection into the pc and into the back of the xbox. You should be able to connect to Xbox Live and claim your 1 month's free Gold membership!!"

I used this ^^^ and it works perfectly, even with PES. Really simple to follow too. Thanks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Its def possible. I got mine working with 02. Search through my old posts because i posted somewhere how to do it. It basically is just hook up ur xbox to your laptop and connect. You need to change your ics setting by ticking a box.

For me it wouldnt work on my laptop (vista) but the exact same changes worked on my desktop pc (windows xp) so the os might have something to do with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

won't work for me on my vista laptop at all with 02 and I've tried everything.

Gonna look into getting XP on dual boot but it looks fairly complicated to set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭XLR8

Before trying to connect to live, it would be a good idea to test your ping.
    Try www.speedtest.net
    If your ping is over about 150ms - 200ms max, it's pointless trying to use the connection for live, especially if you're playing a shooter.
    I tried using my mobile BB connection for live but I was getting a 300+ ms ping a lot of the time so by the time you've shot someone, they've already moved.Anything over 100 ms is really too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ObliVion86

Ok. I have Vodafone 3G broadband too and I have tried plugging the ethernet cable from my laptop (windows xp) to my 360. I have enabled ics and I left all the network settings on auto on the 360 and it failed on the ip test. So then I manually entered the ip address ect. and it confirmed the ip address but the dns failed.

Ive tried everything but it keeps failing. Maybe sumone who has 3G could let me know what dns address they have on their 360. It might work for me maybe. The dns address i was using is 192.168.0.1

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 34 clemyeats

On my 1Mbps DSL I can play these without any problems or lag:

- Halo Reach
    - Black Ops
    - BFBC2

But the following games lag:

- Red Dead Redemption
    - F1 2010

The ping is good (50ms) but the upload speed isn't big enough (128kbps).

I have a 3G connection with Three.ie and it provides an average 100ms ping with 3Mbps DL / 1Mbps UL. The connection quality is really bad compared to the DSL and although it's always faster than my DSL, the ping can go quite high at times... yet, I played RDR and F1 2010 with it tonight, without any problems... and I can NEVER play these without lag on my DSL.

That's not to say it'll work tomorrow or even later on tonight. The thing with 3G is that you don't really know when it'll work, how well it'll work and for how long :) If it's your only option and you don't do competitive gaming, then go for it, if you can get DSL then it's obviously better.

Advertisement