Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Anybody ID This Little Critter?

Options
  • 15-07-2007 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I wonder if anybody could ID this thing that is swimming in my pond. I've seen two of them. They wriggle around and have tails. I'm no expert, but they look like some kind of larvae. They are about 2cm long. This dude swims just under the surface of the water. I observed it for over an hour and it (and it's buddy) were there a few hours later, so I doubt it's something that fell in accidentally.

Any ideas..................?

p7150001ov6.jpg

p7150002gf4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's the larva of the Dronefly or European Hoverfly aka the "rat-tailed maggot' .. endearing name, eh?.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_fly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cheers Alun! I've noticed a couple of the adults since I put the pond in but had no idea they were the larvae.

Also, the pond was somewhat dirty until recently as I'm only new to this pond caper - so it looks like you're spot on!

Thanks again!

Advertisement