Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G/F taking up shooting!

Options
  • 15-07-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I brought her ladyship shooting today, I gave her a few shots and she printed a half inch group at 50 yards with my .22magnum off the bonnet of the jeep! I was fairly impressed. It was only the second time she picked up a rifle. She even brought home the target to show her mum:D The plan now is to bring her to Midlands for propper paper punching, as she has no interest in hunting. I think the main thing is to wean her onto the idea of shooting and not rush her into it. She was proud of herself today, and she has right to be.

Anybody else out there who got their other half into shooting?

Jonty

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Jonty wrote:
    Anybody else out there who got their other half into shooting?

I met my girlfriend in the rifle club in TCD, I dunno if that counts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Thats good shooting for a first timer!

Im Working on it..... :D trying to get the GF to come shooting.
    Like your girlfriend she has no interest in Hunting as she's a member
    of Limerick Animal welfare.

Herself would not mind taking a few shots but has no real interest in it.
    Was trying to convince her to come up to midlands with us one Sunday
    but she keeps saying Nah its a boys day out. Problem would be she
    would take a few shots and gets bored after a few minutes she would
    then be stuck there for the day while myself and whoever else I was
    with had a great ol time.

A .22 would be perfect for her to try. I would not trust her with a fullbore
    pistol (if she ever did get the oppertunity to fire) as I reckon the recoil would
    make her leave go of it. Also Shotgun I reckon would be too much kick for
    her to enjoy. .22 is nice quite and easy for someone who has never shot.

~b

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Ok. Lets think about it... you go out a few times with the misus and she gets into a bit of shooting and eventually she is really enjoying it and cant wait to go out. Now you are in the situation where you regularly go shooting and the misus ALWAYS goes with you (is the penny dropping?!).Then you are heading out for a few shots with one of the lads and you get the "Great! Ill get my gun!". Sometimes its better to keep somethings all for yourself!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

IRLConor wrote:
    I met my girlfriend in the rifle club in TCD, I dunno if that counts. :)
    A classy place if ever there was one ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

alan123 wrote:
    Ok. Lets think about it... you go out a few times with the misus and she gets into a bit of shooting and eventually she is really enjoying it and cant wait to go out. Now you are in the situation where you regularly go shooting and the misus ALWAYS goes with you (is the penny dropping?!).Then you are heading out for a few shots with one of the lads and you get the "Great! Ill get my gun!". Sometimes its better to keep somethings all for yourself!!!!!

wise words my friend, take note all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kiwijbob wrote:
    wise words my friend, take note all ;)
    Indeed, and the old 'all guns cost less than €200' ploy won't work anymore either.

Ibid wrote:

Careful you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Rovi wrote:
    Indeed, and the old 'all guns cost less than €200' ploy won't work anymore either.

That and the story that the 'ould rubbish nightforce scope was included in that price, or that centerfire match ammunition costs a fiver a box. :D

The other snag , is that she may well out shoot you ... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

jaycee wrote:
    The other snag , is that she may well out shoot you ... :eek:

If this happens, I'll hang up my shootin' iron.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Ibid wrote:

Oh yes. It's clean, spacious and smells of roses, the epitome of class. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

alan123 wrote:
    Sometimes its better to keep somethings all for yourself!!!!!

I wish she'd apply this train of thought to clothes shopping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

my ladyfriend shot my 6.5x55 at 100m and 3 shots touched! better than me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

alan123 wrote:
    Ok. Lets think about it... you go out a few times with the misus and she gets into a bit of shooting and eventually she is really enjoying it and cant wait to go out. Now you are in the situation where you regularly go shooting and the misus ALWAYS goes with you (is the penny dropping?!).Then you are heading out for a few shots with one of the lads and you get the "Great! Ill get my gun!". Sometimes its better to keep somethings all for yourself!!!!![/QUOTE

well said. io can imagine the heartache of that. bad enough when you go out to do a few hours decoying and you say you'l be back by 8 or so. and then at 8 the phone rings, then again at 8.30, then 9........

you see the beauty of this is you can turn your phone off. imagine being stuck in the hide with the missus!!!!!! "C'mon now stephen its time to go home, we have to go over to my parents for dinner"

please...... i think i'l let her stick to her shopping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thankfully the wife cannot hold the rifle correctly and she can't see thru the scope so she won't be bugging me in that regard. She did say she would like to get a pistol. :eek: I dunno what to think of that tbh.

There a few words that just dont go together, below are a few:

homemade/plane
    parachute/concrete
    babysitter/Gary Glitter
    holiday/Tuam
    wife/gun

...somethings just werent meant to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The good thing about this thread is that the next time someone asks me why you don't see more women in the sport, I'll have somewhere to point them.

Feck's sake lads, if you can't stand the girl, don't marry her; and if you need some personal space and feel you'd lose it, man up and tell her rather than saying that the sport's a Yorkie. It ain't rocket science...

Sparks wrote:
    The good thing about this thread is that the next time someone asks me why you don't see more women in the sport, I'll have somewhere to point them.

Feck's sake lads, if you can't stand the girl, don't marry her; and if you need some personal space and feel you'd lose it, man up and tell her rather than saying that the sport's a Yorkie. It ain't rocket science...

well said you're 100% correct, below is a pic of my wife down on Brittas beach...we had a great time

shootingwife.jpg

Is that an adams apple??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

God Almighty!!!! Schwarzenegger in drag!!!:eek: I'd be grimacing too like that if I had to fire that POS!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

God - I haven't posted in here in ages, just pop in every now and again to keep an eye on you lot, but this one just bugs the living daylights outa me!

What's wrong with you men or should i say mice? I've never heard such crap before in all my born days.

So much for encouraging women into the sport. NICE! Just don't let me come in contact with any of you or i'll really put you on ur asses!

LB6
    Irish FEMALE - shooting in International competition in ITALY next week!:mad:

• Advertisement

She would too guys..I've met her.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

its ok mine is afraid of guns and wont even come in the room if im cleaning my guns:D

Oh come on CG. I'm not THAT bad! :D

Nah Course not!How ya been?:D You going to come out with the formatative Clare Gunner gunclub one day,if this "Summer" weather improves somwhat?
    Go get a few medals for us in Italy.BTW where you shooting?

Hiya CG - long time no see! I'm grand thanks for asking - you?

When you organise the weather, and I'll be over to you.

Competition is on in Milan 27th thru 29th July. I dont think I have a medal chance, but I'll def come back wiser! International competitors from all corners of the earth - gonna be a big shindig!

Nerves starting to kick in now :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My first GF was a range officer at UCD. The first proper date myself and the now-wife went on was to the local pistol range. (Then again, date #2 was to a tank museum, and the movie-at-home-afterwards was 'A Bridge Too Far').
    Still, she does get a little disconcerted when she sees my pistol stored loaded by the bed, but I think she's getting used to it. Took her clay pigeon shooting as well, I think I might get away with buying us..er..her a shotgun.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Still, she does get a little disconcerted when she sees my pistol stored loaded by the bed, but I think she's getting used to it. Took her clay pigeon shooting as well, I think I might get away with buying us..er..her a shotgun.

NTM

Please!!!!! Tell me ur kidding about havin a pistol stored loaded or otherwise by the bed!!!
    AND.....posting it here!!!
    If it's supposed to be a funny can you please indicate that clearly......J.Public/Gardai often take a peep in here and it's hardly productive for anyone owning or hoping to own a pistol.

Can some of the mods take a look at this please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Vinniew wrote:
    Please!!!!! Tell me ur kidding about havin a pistol stored loaded or otherwise by the bed!!!
    If it's supposed to be a funny can you please indicate that clearly......J.Public/Gardai often take a peep in here and it's hardly productive for anyone owning or hoping to own a pistol.

He's not living in Ireland so I while I would never do this myself I don't think it effects anyone applyiing for a license in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Vinniew wrote:

Take a look at Manic's 'Location'.

• Advertisement

Vinniew wrote:

Manic Moran seems to be lucky enough to be outa the state!!

Advertisement