Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G/F taking up shooting!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Apologies to Mainc and any other outa-staters for my last post!
    Never even occurred to me to check his location.

Vinnie
    (back in his box!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Don't worry, it's a fair assumption that on an Irish boards, most posters will be in Ireland.
    Though I have to say, I'm currently typing this from Dublin.

I just found it amusing that ordinarily one attributes a 'fear of firearms' to being unfamiliar with the things. Yet in this case, she's fired them, has no issue with owning them, is looking at a shotgun herself, but doesn't like it when I leave one loaded for purposes which are legal in California even though intellectually she knows that it's no more hazardous than one which is in her hand at the range.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

hEH I took my lad out to a rifle range for the one year anniversary , he looked fairly scared when I announced it but it was the 1st time for both of us and we loved it , hoping to get up there again now at the start of next month :) Cant wait would of been sooner only for money was tight.

I find loaded weapons to be the best test of a relationship ;) LOL Im messin just for the record before anybody reports me again for advocating violence :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

... but doesn't like it when I leave one loaded for purposes which are legal in California even though intellectually she knows that it's no more hazardous than one which is in her hand at the range.
    NTM

One of the primary safety rules with guns is that they should be kept unloaded until they are going to be used. That means when you know you are going to fire it and it is safe to do so.

The majority of gun-related accidents occur because people have kept a gun loaded.

Every shooting organisation (including the NRA) have this rule in their safety literature.

rrpc wrote:
    One of the primary safety rules with guns is that they should be kept unloaded until they are going to be used.

Why do you think I keep it loaded and accessible? (vs my other firearms which are stored locked and empty) However, we are verging into territory unique to American law which is no longer permitted to be discussed on this board.
    The majority of gun-related accidents occur because people have kept a gun loaded.

Male bovine fecal matter. The majority of gun-related accidents occur people because people fail to treat a firearm at all times as if it were loaded. It's the complacent 'Ah, it's not in use, so it must be unloaded' attitude which results in negligent discharges.

NTM

• Advertisement

Why do you think I keep it loaded and accessible? (vs my other firearms which are stored locked and empty) However, we are verging into territory unique to American law which is no longer permitted to be discussed on this board.
    RTKBA is not up for dicussion here, we are talking about gun safety. There is no reason that you couldn't keep a loaded mag handy but not in the gun for quick access. If somebody broke into your house while you were asleep, you are giving them a ready and usable firearm. Without a mag its just something to hit you on the head with.
    Male bovine fecal matter. The majority of gun-related accidents occur people because people fail to treat a firearm at all times as if it were loaded. It's the complacent 'Ah, it's not in use, so it must be unloaded' attitude which results in negligent discharges.
    You seem to be making my argument for me. It's because of that attitude that you should always leave a gun unloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

rrpc wrote:
    RTKBA is not up for dicussion here, we are talking about gun safety. There is no reason that you couldn't keep a loaded mag handy but not in the gun for quick access. If somebody broke into your house while you were asleep, you are giving them a ready and usable firearm. Without a mag its just something to hit you on the head with.

You seem to be making my argument for me. It's because of that attitude that you should always leave a gun unloaded.

Totally agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Slight problem here guys.We in Ireland are thinking gun saftey in the sense of sportsmanship and non self defence useage.

Manic and others in the US can think in self defence /home invasion useage of firearms.And there is plenty of courses over there that teach self defence with a firearm,be it shotgun or handgun.Gun saftey is a paramount part of the course,but so is weapons retention,quick access to use, reloading drills knowing your home layout,the legal consequences of a firefight,etc.
    It it not somthing we are fammilar with much over here,apart from the anti gun,Hollywood BS about people shooting their famillies,dogs, etc etc.Plus with now somthing like 45 States allowing their citizens to carry concealed weapons on permits,after a state run course in public.You can be double damn sure that Manic and others will not have the gun down somwhere where any old burglar will find it for easy use.Plus if this was the case you would want to secure your kitchen knives better.[most common used weapon by a burglar].There is alot more to this than loading up and going walkies around your house in the dead of nite with the shotgun. It is a whole different mindset than for targets or game.And one we cant really discuss here.

rrpc wrote:
    RTKBA is not up for dicussion here,

From the Charter.
    It is not for the discussion of the use of firearms in self-defence,
    we are talking about gun safety. There is no reason that you couldn't keep a loaded mag handy but not in the gun for quick access.

We'll just agree to disagree on practicalities then. I can argue this offline if you wish to pursue further.

Is or is not the first rule of firearm safety to always treat a firearm as if it were loaded? If so, then the fact that the firearm is loaded will have absolutely no bearing on your behaviour as that is the default attitude to take from the second you touch one. Once you start treating loaded and unloaded firearms as different, you get to the famous last words 'I didn't think it was loaded.' That is what causes most NDs.

NTM

We'll just agree to disagree on practicalities then. I can argue this offline if you wish to pursue further.
    Not necessary. I don't wish to discuss anything not on the boards charter and would prefer for this to remain on gun safety only.
    Is or is not the first rule of firearm safety to always treat a firearm as if it were loaded? If so, then the fact that the firearm is loaded will have absolutely no bearing on your behaviour as that is the default attitude to take from the second you touch one. Once you start treating loaded and unloaded firearms as different, you get to the famous last words 'I didn't think it was loaded.' That is what causes most NDs.
    NTM
    Treating all firearms as if they are loaded does not then imply that all firearms should be left loaded.

Not everyone who comes in contact with a firearm knows or should be expected or assumed to know any of the rules of firearm safety, that is why a firearm should never be left loaded.

I am specifically using the word left, as being out of your direct possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

So, from this we agree... its a bad idea to bring your girlfriend shooting!

rrpc wrote:
    Not everyone who comes in contact with a firearm knows or should be expected or assumed to know any of the rules of firearm safety, that is why a firearm should never be left loaded.

Short of my wife, who knows how to operate a firearm, the dog, the cat, and a bunch of cuddly toys, there is nobody else who would reasonably have access to the thing. As I'm currently out of town, my pistol is unloaded and locked away, but that is more for the sake of theft than safety. I consider on balance that the merits of having an accessible and ready sidearm outweigh any likely detrement. If my situation ever changes (eg if I have kids) I will re-evaluate accordingly.
    I am specifically using the word left, as being out of your direct possession.

Which is why, if I have kids, I will consider using a holster instead of the bedroom. Until then, I see little reason to change my practises.

NTM

Which is why, if I have kids, I will consider using a holster instead of the bedroom. Until then, I see little reason to change my practises.
    NTM

Perhaps you would also consider not advocating an unsafe practice on an Irish bulletin board where your particular situation is not relevant?

This started off by referncing the attitude of my better half. Quite relevant to the thread. This then turned into an issue of general firearm safety attitude, also quite relevant to the board, if a little off-topic on the thread. We appear to have a distinction on the level of what is or is not the point at which a line is drawn. I believe that as everyone who has access to the firearm knows correct firearm safety that there is no inherent danger from the firearm itself, and that the only possibility for hazard is from mishandling. You believe that the firearm itself constitutes a danger, a postion which I strongly disagree with.

NTM

Advertisement