Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best 360 Game?

• 15-07-2007 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I ended up with some extra cash a few months ago, so I sprung for a 360.
    I'm too cheap to buy a lot of games (I always wait till they go way down in price) And I had my regular X Box games, But I wanted to get one new game.

I heard a lot of people say that Gears of War was the best X Box 360 game. Personally I'm not super impressed. I don't love the game play, I hate the grenade handling, and the whole game is grey. (I am constantly shooting my own people--they look the same as the bad guys)

The graphics are phenomenal, and it is a decent game... but I would have rather waited and paid $30 instead of the initial $70.

So what is the best game?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It might help if you told us what sort of games you like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't all that impressed with Gears of War either. Nice looking game, fun but does nothing special or particularly well.

Get Rainbow Six Vegas instead. It's a far superior in every way, great single player game, with loads of skirmish missions and killer multiplayer modes.

If you have xbox live the absolute best game you can get is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night from the xbox live arcade. It may be a 10 year old PS1 game but it's still amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Fight Night Round 3. Out since last march, but it is still one of the best games on 360, also its cheaper.

Im one for the sports games so im still playing Pro Evo 6, NHL 07 is class.

Racing games, Forza 2 is really good.

I sort of like Gears every now and again, but i think Rainbow 6 is better, COD3 might be my favourite shooter though.

Oh and to go out of the ordinary, Guitar Hero 2 is amazingly good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Another vote for Castlevania: SotN, it became one of my all time favourite games after I finally got around to playing it recently.

I'd definitely recommend the Darkness, but there seems to be quite a split of opinion on that one. Maybe read a couple of reviews first and see if it sounds like your cup of tea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Wasn't all that impressed with Gears of War either. Nice looking game, fun but does nothing special or particularly well.

Get Rainbow Six Vegas instead. It's a far superior in every way, great single player game, with loads of skirmish missions and killer multiplayer modes.
    No its not :D
    RS:V is the standard clancy affair...it looks like a PS2 game, and the story was probably something clancy scrawled on the back of a smoke box. Its a good game dont get me wrong, but after the first level youve more or less seen everything it has to offer, both it and gears are examples of the halo philosophy of 30 seconds of fun over and over, but gears does it better. Ive finished gears about 5 or 6 times, and restarted it yesterday, i just cant get tired of it :D
    Oh and the graphics in RS:V in multiplayer look absolutely abysmal, even worse than the SP.

Back OT tho, best games on 360 for me would be:

Gears (natch)
    The darkness
    Dead rising
    DiRT
    FN03
    Prey
    Oblivion

• Advertisement

tman wrote:
    Another vote for Castlevania: SotN, it became one of my all time favourite games after I finally got around to playing it recently.

I'd definitely recommend the Darkness, but there seems to be quite a split of opinion on that one. Maybe read a couple of reviews first and see if it sounds like your cup of tea...

SOTN is cool too, but seriously, it needs some kind of manual, i found it all a bit confuzzling, i got stuck after a few hours and cant get any further :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

RB6 Vegas is very good. Other than that... Oblivion, Dead Rising, Viva Pinata, The Darkness (mixed opinions on that though). Guitar Hero 2 is a blast but expensive (thanks to the guitar). Crackdown is fun.

I like Condemned and you should be able to get that really cheap. COD2 is good and you can again probably pick that up (secondhand?) for a good price.

If you like racing games, Forza 2 is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Everything Retrogamer and Koneko said!!!!

R6 is a great game, both online and offline. (although the ending pissed me off, still a great game)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

0ubliette wrote:
    the story was probably something clancy scrawled on the back of a smoke box.

And Gears of War is a standout piece of videogaming story telling. Lets see, Butch macho jock busts out of prison with help of jock friend who are then drafted into the army, they meet up with more jocks and find out about the 'resonator' (oooooh groovy name) and how important it is. After much fighting the lads deploy the resonator, it turns out to be **** and all is lost. As luck may have it one of the lads finds a 'thing' in his pocket amoung all the fluff, bus tickets and roy of the rovers bar wrappers. It happens to have some of the data the resonator should have got. Jock no. 1 decides that the lads should go to his gaff and think things over. Ofcourse this isn't so easy since his gaff is in the middle of a warzone. After they get there is seems that Jock no. 1's da has been hogging all the data that the army needs after all. How coincidental!. The lads then hop on a train the army sent but the boys in brass sent them a train crawling with bad guys and the main bad guy of the game. After a bit of a ruckus the lads fire some missles and everything is hunky dory. On no it isn't. Another evil dude emerges, shakes his fist, laughs maniacially and says 'You'll pay for this jocks!'.

After my rant is over the stories of both games are only there to keep you moving from each area to the next. I just much prefer capping tangos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

-1 for Gears of War
    +1 for Rainbow 6 Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Battlestations: Midway

Noone else nominated it.
    Class game to play on LIVE, loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ranked in order of preference:

Pro Evo 6
    Dead Rising
    Earth Defense Force
    Gears of War
    Crackdown

Outside that, there's little worth playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Ranked in order of preference:

Pro Evo 6
    Dead Rising
    Earth Defense Force
    Gears of War
    Crackdown

Outside that, there's little worth playing.

So according to you there is 5 good games only. That's not a fair comment...the OP might like racing games (so Forza2, PGR3, Ridge Racer, Dirt etc spring to mind.). And then there is fps's like GRAW, GRAW2, Vegas. And what about Oblivion for RPG's. Or C&C for a decent RTS. Or Crackdown or Saintsrow if he wants a GTA clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Retr0gamer wrote:
    And Gears of War is a standout piece of videogaming story telling. Lets see, Butch macho jock busts out of prison with help of jock friend who are then drafted into the army, they meet up with more jocks and find out about the 'resonator' (oooooh groovy name) and how important it is. After much fighting the lads deploy the resonator, it turns out to be **** and all is lost. As luck may have it one of the lads finds a 'thing' in his pocket amoung all the fluff, bus tickets and roy of the rovers bar wrappers. It happens to have some of the data the resonator should have got. Jock no. 1 decides that the lads should go to his gaff and think things over. Ofcourse this isn't so easy since his gaff is in the middle of a warzone. After they get there is seems that Jock no. 1's da has been hogging all the data that the army needs after all. How coincidental!. The lads then hop on a train the army sent but the boys in brass sent them a train crawling with bad guys and the main bad guy of the game. After a bit of a ruckus the lads fire some missles and everything is hunky dory. On no it isn't. Another evil dude emerges, shakes his fist, laughs maniacially and says 'You'll pay for this jocks!'.

ZOMG! Spoilers plx!

(I lol'd a hearty lol.)

All of the big names have been named OP. It's hard to suggest things when we don't know what you like, only that you don't like GoW. I thought Saint's Row was a decent bit of craic too (except for the highly irritating "gangsta" setting), could probably get that cheap enough now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

For me Prey is the best game that Ii have played so far on the 360. I got it for 15 euros a couple of weeks ago in a play.com sale and found it to be a very enjoyable game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

+ Pro Evo 6
    + Dead Rising

So according to you there is 5 good games only. That's not a fair comment...the OP might like racing games (so Forza2, PGR3, Ridge Racer, Dirt etc spring to mind.). And then there is fps's like GRAW, GRAW2, Vegas. And what about Oblivion for RPG's. Or C&C for a decent RTS. Or Crackdown or Saintsrow if he wants a GTA clone

Right, and he might want a horse-adventuring game with dolls, in which case Barbie Horse Adventure might appeal. It's entirely subjective, and I can only give my opinion, I can't read minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DarkMars

For me it was allways pes 6 and you if you like that sort of game:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Rainbow 6 Vegas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Rainbow Six Vegas and Crackdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Right, and he might want a horse-adventuring game with dolls, in which case Barbie Horse Adventure might appeal. It's entirely subjective, and I can only give my opinion, I can't read minds.

But your the one who said outside the games you listed there is little worth playing. Sounds like a statement of fact you were making rather then an opinion you were giving.

Retr0gamer wrote:

After my rant is over the stories of both games are only there to keep you moving from each area to the next. I just much prefer capping tangos.
    It has a better story than vegas, put it that way. Lets see, im an elite counter trrorist, someone shoots one of MY BOYS and blah blah, now im in las vegas, terrorists etc, kill some more terrorists, why am i here again? Oh right to get the person who KILLED ONE A MY BOYS oh no, one of MY BOYS turned out to be a traitor, end creidts.
    Its a good game as i said, i enjoyed it, gears beats it in every aspect. Better graphics, better story, even if gears story is a bit lightweight, if you read the backstory that comes in the CE it adds more weight to it. The enemies are cooler, the cover system is way better implemented, i just find that clancy games all blend into one if you play them long enough. R6V IS GOOD, im not slating it, its jsut that once youve played one tom clancy game, youve more or less played em all.

And another +1 for prey, i love that game.

But your the one who said outside the games you listed there is little worth playing. Sounds like a statement of fact you were making rather then an opinion you were giving.

As I've not just been seen having a chinwag with a burning bush or the likes, I don't think anybody is misconstruing my opinion as fact. There is no cold hard facts when it comes to good games, it's obviously entirely a matter of opinion.

But anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

In no particular order

Gears of War: only played it on sunday, very impressive

The darkness:There is something different about it and I love mike pattons voiceover.

FNR3: Had it on the Xbox 1 and loved it so had to include it.

Guitar Hero: Some of the best fun I have had in ages, great after the pub with the lads.

Tenchu Z: I know this got a terrible review but I love the tenchu games and this is not bad at all. (waits for abuse)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I recommened these games:

PGR 3
    Gears of war
    NBA 2k7
    Pro Evo 6
    Rainbow Six
    Saints Row
    The Darkness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

If you are looking for an online game I'd recomend Shadowrun, it's very good and easy to get into and you dont need to take it as seriously as the likes of R6 and GoW. They only bad thing I can say is that there is no single player but I dont mind coz the online is so much fun. But try the demo first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BENJAMIN61

The Best Games Are Oblivion And Dead Rising Also Halo 3 When Comes Out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

definitely guitar hero 2 without a doubt, however i would wait for either Rock Band or Guitar hero 3 rather than shelling out 110 euro for GH2

if you dont really have much info on rock band then check out this vid, i know its 40 mins but well worth watching every second of it

http://www.gamespot.com/video/938870/6175122/rock-band-stage-demo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JohnG2176

Oblivion is a great game, you'll get over 100 hours of gameplay on that, well worth the money

i rank 'gears of war' as an ok game, great for the first few days but boring after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭niall2j

PES6 is the only game I have consistently come back to and it's been out for about 8 months. Online is v good (when playing with the right people) and it can easily be found for under €30

Advertisement