Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP is so frustrating!

• 15-07-2007 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Argghhh!! :eek: I've just had to install and use Windows for a few days, I'm still not over the frustration. It took a day and a half to install Windows XP plus Office and update it with all 93 updates! (Plus required restarts, activation, validation and WGA nagware) I normally use Linux and while I don't like criticising Windows, I honestly have to say the difference is huge.

I really missed things like spell check and the find as you type in Firefox. Where are the history settings in IE 7? They're gone completely, I couldn't go back to anything, disappointing. Plus I was forced to watch all those annoying web ads, no ad blocker. Also Outlook is so sloooow! I only have two email accounts set up but when it opens, and when it sends and receives, the whole computer freezes. Outlook seems to require every ounce of PC resources just to check email, it's so bad! About 20 more MS updates streamed down in the days after the install. I'm glad I've switched to Linux, but I had forgotten how bad Windows was. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah, if only firefox and thunderbird were available for windows......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Stop trying to run XP on a 486.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How to install Windows XP in 5 hours or less :p

Did you remember to install firewall / AV / anti-malware too ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

tuxy wrote:
    Yeah, if only firefox and thunderbird were available for windows......

...if only there was an office suite for linux aswell...

..if only there was an adblocker for windows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Stop trying to run XP on a 486.

... he should have tried TinyXp... 8 min install...

http://www.secguru.com/link/tinyxp_run_xp_from_400mb_hdd_and_under_40mb_ram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Man Xp takes 20 mins to install for me, and its self configured.. god bless custom installs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

How to install Windows XP in 5 hours or less :p

Did you remember to install firewall / AV / anti-malware too ? ;)

Yes I installed all that too, I consider that as part of the Windows install because they're essential. Funny article, 5 hours is good going, I'd say 25 hours is more accurate! Outlook should be called Look Out.... (your PC will freeze for 2 minutes!) or Look Out... (the window for 2 minutes while I check your mail.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

BostonB wrote:
    ...if only there was an office suite for linux aswell...

http://www.openoffice.org/
    Using it on Suse10 without any problems, avoiding office2007 way to slow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oracle wrote:
    Outlook should be called Look Out.... (your PC will freeze for 2 minutes!) or Look Out... (the window for 2 minutes while I check your mail.)
    that name was taken by Alt-N for their Mdaemon client, if all you want is a rock sold email server that stores its settings in text files that you can copy to another machine and rebuild in about 15 minutes it's the biz, not as free like sendmail, but at 1/10 the price of exchange.

Outlook 2007 might be called LockOut if you don't patch :(

BostonB wrote:
    ... he should have tried TinyXp... 8 min install...

http://www.secguru.com/link/tinyxp_run_xp_from_400mb_hdd_and_under_40mb_ram
    You should have read the charter re warez.

I've no problem with things like sysprep and nlite which allow you to choose which parts of your OS to install and don't contain a copy of the OS itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement