Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter Rail ticketing questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Well even without adding up the various individual tickets you'd need and the cost of them and hassle of buying them, surely having the Interrail gives you the flexibility and freedom of stopping where and when you want, not in accordance with individual tickets?

Unless there was a substantial cost saving by going on individual tickets, I'd go with the Interrail pass.

Disclaimer - I've never had one, nor done anything like that. Enjoy!

The one bad thing about getting the Inter Rail Ticket is that you will probably end up having to pay extra for some trains. Factor that in when you're doing the maths on it.

Though, as was mentioned, it is handy having it (especially down the south of France, I went on several trips around the various stops).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

I would highly recommend buying an interrail ticket before you go. Means you dont have to queue for tickets in the train station and can just hop on the train. I used one last month. They've a few options but the one we used was for 10 days travel within a period of 22 days. It cost €239. Great value, I would have thought and great flexibility!

Whether you have an interrail ticket or not, you will have to pay for reserved seats and sleepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Lisapeep wrote:
    I would highly recommend buying an interrail ticket before you go. Means you dont have to queue for tickets in the train station and can just hop on the train. I used one last month. They've a few options but the one we used was for 10 days travel within a period of 22 days. It cost €239. Great value, I would have thought and great flexibility!

Whether you have an interrail ticket or not, you will have to pay for reserved seats and sleepers.
    how much does this cost? (the extra charges not the ticket itself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Well a sleeper train couchette from Barcelona to Milan is costing me about 75e but it would cost nearly 150e without the interrailing ticket. On other trains which are sleepers couchettes cost about 40e or there abouts and shorter trains raid on premier trains eg TGV its about 8e sub to reserve a seat. I think its grand. I have a 22 days consecutive ticket and there are at least 11 days where I have to get trains. I'm going for a month. 3 days in Barcelona to begin and 2 days in London at the end. Also if the first train you get on is an overnight train and you get on it after 7pm you get to validate it for the next day.

• Advertisement

From Split to Budapest cost €25 euro (or there abouts) for the sleeping carraige last year. The couchettes cost a bit less, and somehow I got a great night sleep on them from Nice to Rome.

Advertisement