Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Hour Comics Day 2007

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Cool, I was going to add in the details of our one and the waiver idea for under 18s if you want to add anything specific about that :D

I think I've become the self appointed press officer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Waiver idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Saruwatari wrote:
    Waiver idea?

We were playing around with the idea that if anyone under 18 wanted to stay for the whole 24 hours we [ie the organisers] should ask they have their parents sign a forum saying its ok - however I'm not sure legally if that would even work and so far I've only had one under 18 email to ask about attending over night. Up to now I've said that anyone is welcome to attend but if under 18 they should check with their parents.

I've had a major family issue to deal with for the past two weeks so have been a little AWOL from everything. Shall have to sit down and have a look through everything.

Well, I'm 15 myself and interested. I hope it'll be possible to attend...

Hey ztoical, if you wanna pass any of that stuff over I'd be happy to deal with it.

And saruwatari (wow that's tough to remember) come along by all means, just make sure your parents know where you are and if you disappear during the night well... I'm sure you understand why we don't want to take responsibility for that ;)

(to any legal guys out there ignore that if it comes back to bite me in the ass)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

there are peeps... like Sar above who are interested.. then there are parents who see 'babysitting service' - is a problem with every event really. we should get in GIANT crayons in case of emergency.. okay okay.. I just want GIANT CRAYONS!! (lets see how little I can get onto a page this year :p )

I've been trying to encourage 'em on ci. Lots more people know about it this year. ztocs gonna have a handfull!

can anyone rec any radio shows or papers that would be good to send info for the event to?

Last year whatever show was on mondays at 6pm on 2fm rang after 24 hour comics day to give out and say they would have liked to know about the event before it took place. I don't remember the name of the dj or if its still the same guy the show - since discovering podcasts I've stopped listening to the radio - so if theres a radio show you listen that you take might give 24 hour comics day a shout please let me know.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm not sure what the best way to contact them would be, but the Irish Times will probably add it to their listings in The Ticket.

I'm heading off to the states this evening for SPX - shall be gone for a week but back in time for 24 hour comics day. The hotel called to double check all the details and said they remember us well from last year and still think we're all mad. So everything is more or less sorted but if people do have questions email me and I'll try and get back to you ASAP. or if you need a really quick answer post here and you should be able to get an answer from Shades or Fysh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oh, joy.

Having left all my planning to the last minute on account of having fecked off to London for good, it now looks like I'll be along to 24 hour comics day but only for about 1/2 the day. (I would fly over sooner but it turns out the London Expo is on the same weekend so myself and the missus figured we'd pop into that for a while as well :D).

So advance warning : If a gibbering idiot turns up on the night ranting about airports, that'll be me. And if for some reason I sound like a Generic Southern English Ponce, then I can only hang my head in shame that after 5 years of cultivation work my blossoming Cork accent has abandoned me.

*sigh*

• Advertisement

Yip me answer any questions asked soon good like!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

ztoical wrote: »
    can anyone rec any radio shows or papers that would be good to send info for the event to?

Last year whatever show was on mondays at 6pm on 2fm rang after 24 hour comics day to give out and say they would have liked to know about the event before it took place. I don't remember the name of the dj or if its still the same guy the show - since discovering podcasts I've stopped listening to the radio - so if theres a radio show you listen that you take might give 24 hour comics day a shout please let me know.

That was probably Rick oShea.. he's quite the sci-fi. I'll maiil him today

thumbninja wrote: »
    That was probably Rick oShea.. he's quite the sci-fi. I'll maiil him today

coola boola miss ninja - you can give my mobil number if they want to speak to someone - or your own or Shades - pretty much anyone who was there last year actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

ill have to drop by and say hello on the day for this one

coola boola miss ninja - you can give my mobil number if they want to speak to someone - or your own or Shades - pretty much anyone who was there last year actually

I sent my own little version of a press release to 2fm/RTE and any newspaper or art magazine I could think of that might be interested and gave them contact details. No replies so far but maybe there'll be something closer to the day itself. (That's if it got to the right people)

No harm in trying again or different methods though :D

the Shades wrote: »
    I sent my own little version of a press release to 2fm/RTE and any newspaper or art magazine I could think of that might be interested and gave them contact details. No replies so far but maybe there'll be something closer to the day itself. (That's if it got to the right people)

No harm in trying again or different methods though :D

O my god wispas are back - sorry that shouldn't make me so happy.

I've annoyed a couple of people with emails, mainly some art colleges but sure if theres only a few of us doing it it will be grand, sure we are near the bar this year lol

I won't be up in dublin till just before start time so rather then try for breakie saturday morning might just do what we did last year and have big brunch after with those who last the whole 24 hours.

So what's the status of the whole under 18's thing then, can I just pop in as long as I have permission and stuff eh? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Suggestion:

24 min comic table w/ prefolded pages for teh ppls who randomly drop in. its' only 24 mins and only adorable.

Saruwatari wrote: »
    So what's the status of the whole under 18's thing then, can I just pop in as long as I have permission and stuff eh? :confused:

Yeah mate you can come along no worries, just make sure your parents know where you are.

Can we get a rough head count on here or who's planning to be there for the 24 hours?

And nice idea Tree, are you going to fold all the paper though? lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i'll have you know that im excellent at origami. so sure. why not. can someone bring the folding instructions pls. ive a graduation ball tomoz night and will be in fti state to remember things to bring on the bus.

and i'll be there for the full night :D

• Advertisement

Tree wrote: »
    Suggestion:

24 min comic table w/ prefolded pages for teh ppls who randomly drop in. its' only 24 mins and only adorable.

dang it and I went and left my long arm stappler in kilkenny. I'll bring along some extra paper, ink, nibs and stuff. Might make some muffins too....... My brother is going to drop in and video some of it for a youtube type thing at some point. also I'll bring print offs of the random tittles like last year. Shades any chance you've got a copy of the poster handy for the door?

I'm debating about bringing along my powerbook [apple managed to fix it *happy dance*] scanner and wacom and trying for a digital comic but i shall have to think some more about that tomorrow.

Bob is coming for part of the day and I've had a couple of emails with questions about the cost [ITS FREE] and what not over the last couple of days so should have some newbies giving it ago. It would be nice to have the same number as last year [15] or maybe a few more but honestly I don't mind how many show as long as everyone has fun.

I think we'll have more people just popping by this year - or at least I hope we will.

O and Saruwatari come along and enjoy - I just ask that you give your parents a heads up.

for some reason i have it in my head that a 24min comic can be done on a single sheet of a4 but i could be wrong. no need for a giant stapler then sure :)

also, i needs to go find me some supplies tomoz prolly. where's teh nearest spot in dublin in the event taht i find mah self too busy?

Tree wrote: »
    for some reason i have it in my head that a 24min comic can be done on a single sheet of a4 but i could be wrong. no need for a giant stapler then sure :)

also, i needs to go find me some supplies tomoz prolly. where's teh nearest spot in dublin in the event taht i find mah self too busy?

O i was thinking they'd do 4 pages per sheet and stick 'im together or you can do super minis with 8 pages per sheet.

Easons on o'connel would prob be the best option for supplies. The tin o' markers are out in my car but im not sure I should bring them this year.

might be safer if you dont. cant be introducing the young un's to solvent abuse at too young an age :D im thinking i might hunt down my paintbrushes adn use waterbased paints.

Thanks for the replies Ztoc and Shades. 15 last year, that all?
    BTW, is it being held in one of the rooms used during Subcon?

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies Ztoc and Shades. 15 last year, that all?
    BTW, is it being held in one of the rooms used during Subcon?

15 was round the average for most of the 24 hour comics day events worldwide last year - the only places that really had alot more then that were events held in schools. In the states alot of the events are held in comic book stores [like Jim's in New york] that stay open all night. As its still a store they usually only have 3 or 4 people doing the dare and everyone else just coming to have a look. Last year all the artists took up at least two spaces with their work and supplies so we actually had just enough room.

Remember this is different to a comic con - no signings, or panels, or tables selling stuff. Its easier for people to drop in to a con for an hour or two before or after work or even during a lunch break but not everyone can give up a whole 24 hours + the time to get there and get home and recover. There was a comic con last month and another one next month so this is meant to be a really different event so as not to clash with either of the other events.

I couldn't make subcon due to some family stuff but I assume they used the function rooms so yeah we're prob in one of the ones they used.

Yup I got some posters left that I can bring along no problem. Do you need a hand setting up at all? Tree the nearest stationors would be Easons on Nassau St or Reads just a little bit further down if you want to get stuff cheaper. Think I might be popping in there myself although I've tried to remember to bring what I needed last year. I also know thumb will be there for the 24 hours so that's at least 4 nut cases ;)

the Shades wrote: »
    Yup I got some posters left that I can bring along no problem. Do you need a hand setting up at all? Tree the nearest stationors would be Easons on Nassau St or Reads just a little bit further down if you want to get stuff cheaper. Think I might be popping in there myself although I've tried to remember to bring what I needed last year. I also know thumb will be there for the 24 hours so that's at least 4 nut cases ;)

Other then checking they put the right name downstairs this time and sticking a poster up on the door, theres not really any set up. The hotel sets up the tables and we bring all our own supplies. Oooooooo that reminds me - I will bring black bags for rubbish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'll make sure my radio station gives it a mention.

• Advertisement

I'll make sure my radio station gives it a mention.

Cheers Bob ;) Connla's going to come along and video some it as well for me.

Advertisement