Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build recommendations

Options
  • 16-07-2007 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭

I've caught the bug again and was thinking of doing a new build. I want a **** hot system as cheap as posssible! I'm being lazy and rather trawl the net for weeks comparing and researching, I thought someone might give me a few recommendations for parts. Is it possible to get a mobo with integrated graphics but also with a good chipset and BIOS for overclocking. Basically I want a pretty good system but I don't need graphics for gaming or anything like that. Should I just wait for X38 and the new CPUs?
    Anyone know when DFI's new X38 board is coming out? The last nforce 4 ultra-d board I had of theirs was a cracker, and I have high hopes of their new one. It's a pity about dfi-street though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well there is the odd board out there with integrated graphics and overclocking options like the ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90HD but given that add-in cards are so cheap these days it simply may not be worth it.

X38 isn't due till August or September so you'll be waiting a while more for it. The P35 chipset is the same thing with 1333Mhz FSB support and support for the newer Core 2's so thats a viable option.

The X38 really only brings SLI support (rumors) to the table which is it's big thing. MSI sell a P35 for €108 and you get all the basics you need and overclocks decently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

8T8 wrote:
    Well there is the odd board out there with integrated graphics and overclocking options like the ABIT Fatal1ty F-I90HD but given that add-in cards are so cheap these days it simply may not be worth it.

Yeh that's a fair point.
    I wanted to go mATX for size and neatness and I looked at that ABIT board before, but when I started reading into it I found that an awful lot of people had issues with it - dead boards,etc.

8T8 wrote:
    X38 isn't due till August or September so you'll be waiting a while more for it. The P35 chipset is the same thing with 1333Mhz FSB support and support for the newer Core 2's so thats a viable option.

The X38 really only brings SLI support (rumors) to the table which is it's big thing. MSI sell a P35 for €108 and you get all the basics you need and overclocks decently too.

SLI doesn't interest me at all, and I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if that's all that was in the newer chipset. Yeh I saw that it is scheduled for a September release.

I'll probably hold off a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

X38 won't be here for at least another couple of months so I'd without a doubt go for a P35 based board, the Abit IP35 Pro is looking good at the moment, or DFI have a P35 LanParty coming somewhat soon. Although alot of the big DFI fans are those that come from skt939 systems where DFI ruled the roost in terms of good overclocking/tweaking boards, but they haven't had much success on an Intel platform. Discrete graphics, even if it's just a 7600 or the like is a far better option than integerated, having a GPU in your northbridge really holds back overclocking, and you don't want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

ABIT IP35E, Sockel 775 Intel P35, ATX 113,09 €
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Box 2048Kb, LGA775, 64bit 106,79 €

overclock the cpu to 3ghz save yourself some money.

Advertisement