Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus in Cork problems???

Options
  • 16-07-2007 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Anyone else in the Cork area having trouble with Chorus connection. Quite regularly (every 2/3 days) it simply refuses to connect for me. I have had engineer out and he told me there is nothing wrong as it happened to be working when he was there. I know there IS a problem as it has still gone down regularly since then and has been down since at least 4 yesterday and is still down.

I have told them now that I will be cancelling at the end of this month unless they sort it out so they are sending out another engineer. Of course it will probably be working again when he calls out so that will achieve nothing.

Just wondering if this is a local problem to me (dodgey modem or something) or is it a general problem with Chorus???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

no mine is fine ! is it going of every few minutes or once a day and what part of the city are you ,

no mine is fine ! is it going of every few minutes or once a day and what part of the city are you , if you type in 192.168.100.1 it will give you the modem info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

South Douglas road area. Was away for the weekend so only turned it in around 4 yesterday and it didn't work. Still isn't back now. Generally I turn it on around 5ish and every second or third day it will take an hour or two to connect. The odd time it won't connect at all for the evening. Then I could have a week when it all works perfectly. No pattern to the days/times really when it doesn't work.

sounds like a local problem noise in the node or something similar if you go into the modem configuration my signal to noise is 38 . 5 and pwr level is - 2.8 so thats good , if they can nt sort it it ll just have to go

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Consistency

I had exact same issue for the 7 months i had chorus bb, it would drop off randomly and come back an hour or two later. Enginneer came and looked at it, all was fine, then a few days later same issue. i was in the ballyphehane area at the time

• Advertisement

Well when the service is working I can connect to the modem fine and get good results similar to yours. however, it wasn't working again all day yesterday and I could not even connect to the modem to get the stats. Does this imply a problem with the modem itself I wonder? I don't see why I would not be able to even contact the modem when it is not "online".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Chorus has been a shambles since UPC took it over. In the Naas area, I have been without internet 4 out of 6 days this week, not consecutively. On and off every week too.

Same here TLR. I will be cancelling next week. Screw em. Back to BT once I move into new house next month.

Yup, I told them yesterday that I will be cancelling within 2 weeks. I told them that I had already put an order in for Digiweb Metro Business.

I then told them why, detailing my troubles over then past 8 to 12 months. I was surprised when the guy on the end of the phone actually agreed and confirmed that the problems were with to do with the UPC take over. Like, everyone KNOWS that's the problem, but I've never been able to get anyone in Chorus to admit to it.

He said that they knew it was going to be bad in the short term, but better for the long term. I know it's not good business practice to tell your customers to expect the worst in the short term and still expect to take money from them, but they handled it totally wrong.

Now they have lost me as a customer. I can't say that I will NEVER go back, but I know I won't go back until there is a minimum of 12 months stability in their network after they resolve their integration.

It begs the question, how can Chorus / NTL feel they can take our money EVERY month when they KNOW they cannot provide a service in the short term?

It's probably down to the fact that I KNOW I could possibly take action against them for them offering a service to me that they KNOW they cannot offer at the moment, but I won't. It's not worth my time to go down that road. I probably should. But until people do, they are going to get away with it on an ongoing basis.

EDIT : I put it to the guy on the phone that if he could tell me that the plan was to have the network fixed within the next 2 months, I wouldn't cancel. He couldn't guarantee that.

I take one of three things out of that....
    1. He doesn't know
    2. He doesn't think so or it definitely won't
    3. He can't say due to call recording on their end and doesn't want to get into to much trouble etc.

You take it any way you want.

EDIT 2: If I was to take this further, but not involve courts or soliciters, what would be my bet way to do it. I doubt ComReg. How about ASAI? Chorus are advertising a product that they know they cannot provide, or at the very least, can't guarantee the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blue_man83

Just thought i'd update y'all that the problems in Naas are fixed. My friend works in UPC/NTL/CHORUS and asked me to post this up. Also probs in Cork were fixed. Anyone still having problems should reboot there modems becasue they were upgrading the firmware on the Motorola modems and this has resolved any ongoing issues in Cork.

As for Naas, He told me that the techs fixed the network there today and the nass cable is no fully functional with pings and speeds back to normal.

Just to let you know the reason im posting this is becasue i regularly came to boards broadband forum to check on my own NTl cable when it went down, now that my mate started working there i get regular updates and i thought i'd share.

Hope any of that is useful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

UPC are doing pretty massive upgrading at the moment. Service interruptions could be down to recabling jobs going on. I think that's also why they're holding off on rebranding as UPC, i.e. they won't do it until the network's stable and then ditch Chorus and NTL and all of their bad reputations.

blue_man83 wrote:
    As for Naas, He told me that the techs fixed the network there today and the nass cable is no fully functional with pings and speeds back to normal.

I don't mean to sound offensive, but that is a POS. Unless they class 800Kbps:150Kbps with a 380ms latency normal for a 6Mbps connection.

I'm gone and not looking back. Oh, the supervisor never rang me back today about my refund. Didn't think they would. I'd not have been nice about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ludo wrote:
    South Douglas road area. Was away for the weekend so only turned it in around 4 yesterday and it didn't work. Still isn't back now. Generally I turn it on around 5ish and every second or third day it will take an hour or two to connect. The odd time it won't connect at all for the evening. Then I could have a week when it all works perfectly. No pattern to the days/times really when it doesn't work.

Something really wrong there. If I plug my ntl modem in it usually connects within 90 seconds or thereabouts.

Advertisement