Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does a bitch's heat last

Options
  • 16-07-2007 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

We have a 9 month old bitch (cross lab and collie). We noticed last Friday that she started bleeding. I was wondering how much longer her heat will last, as I'm not planning to take her out for walks while she is in heat. Should I wait for 2 weeks after we first noticed her bleeding, or 3 weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

2 weeks i think-get her fixed..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

i think its 3 with the middle week being the crical one that said as cowzerp said get her done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Bleeding occurs during pro-oestrus and this stage of the cycle will last about 9 days, but may be up to 17 days. After pro-oestrus comes oestrus, and this is the stage of the cycle when she is sexually receptive. Oestrus can last up to about 16 days. After oestrus she will not accept the male.

She may also experience a 60 day pseudopregnancy, regardless of whether or not she was mated.

You can get contraceptives from your vet...either medical ones or I've also heard of these 'pants' that you can get for bitches in heat.

If you're planning on breeding her, don't breed her until about 10-18 mo and don't breed on her first heat. If you don't want to breed her now, contraceptives of some sort are better than locking her up from a welfare point of view. Plus oestrus bitches release pheromones which attract male dogs, and there have been plenty of stories of so called 'virgin births' from dogs climbing over fences etc. to get at bitches in heat.

If you're not planning on breeding her, get her spayed asap...it should really be done at about 6 months of age, but it's never too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

not walk your dog for three weeks? reconsider for the dogs sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not saying you are going to breed from her (after all you said you want to keep her in so away from male dogs I take it) but don't consider breeding from her there are pounds and rescues packed full of lab collie crosses. Have a chat with your vet and book her in to be spayed once the heat is over.
    There are subsidised neutering schemes if money is an issue.
    Dogs should be spayed/neutered at or before 6 months of age but some dogs do come into heat earlier pity most vets won't spay earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Not saying you are going to breed from her (after all you said you want to keep her in so away from male dogs I take it) but don't consider breeding from her there are pounds and rescues packed full of lab collie crosses. Have a chat with your vet and book her in to be spayed once the heat is over.
    Dogs should be spayed/neutered at or before 6 months of age but some dogs do come into heat earlier pity most vets won't spay earlier.
    Some vets say to do it at 4 months of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭frizzefreckles

our vet suggested we have our dog done before she's 6 months old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

From July 1st to September 30th it is FREE to have your dogs spayed or neutered ireespective of whether you are being paid any government allowance or not. PM me if you need more info.

No excuses with this offer if you are not intendingon breeding your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I just got my up Esri spayed yesterday under the scheme with Dog's Trust - you pay €14 and they cover the rest. This is for people on benefits. But Esri is just about 5 months and a half old. Felt guilty doing it but know it's for her own health and to keep male dogs harrassing her!

Advertisement