Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to buy this for EUR1300?

Options
  • 16-07-2007 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    This is another one of those "is this ok for x amount" threads...but then again I suppose this is a building and upgrading forum...

Anyhoo, I'll be using this for games, video editing, and music production (bedroom recording). The site I'm buying from is www.ankermann-pc.com

Here's the build:

So.775 INTEL Core 2 Duo E6660 2x 2,40Ghz FSB1066 4MB: € 165.90

XFX NFORCE 680I SLI (P/S/SATAII/GBL/F/DDRII): € 174.90

PCI-e 640MB NVidia GeForce 8800-GTS TV/DVI DDR3: € 281.90

IDE 400 GB SAMSUNG HD400LD (8MB-7200rpm): € 55.90

DDR-II RAM 1024MB MUSHKIN PC1066: € 95.90
    DDR-II RAM 1024MB MUSHKIN PC1066: € 107.90

DVD-RW NEC ND-7170A 18x/18x MULTIFORMAT +&- DL & RAM 12x: € 27.50

DVD-Drive IDE Samsung 16x/52x SH-D162C/BEWE: € 15.90

A-DIS X-Cruiser Midi-Tower: € 99.00

INTEL BOX Cooler SE So.775

420W LC-Power 420W ATX SATA 12cm L: € 23.00
    Realtek ALC850 8 Channel AC´97 Sound
    10/100/1000 MBit Ethernet - DSL ready GB-LAN

I know the case isnt great, so I'd be upgrading to a Thermaltake Kandalf Watercooling Case, and also get a better sound card and power supply after.

Seems like the price is very good, becuase to buy the same components from Komplett are almost twice the price for some parts - i.e.

INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600:
    Komplett: EUR220
    Ankermann: EUR165.90

What does anyone think of the build so? Would that motherboard be ok?
    Also, would there be a big difference between the 640mb and 320mb cards?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

420W LC-Power 420W ATX SATA 12cm L: € 23.00

This is the only questionable bit I see. Something in the region of 600W would be better, and from a reputable producer would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

that PSU is right on the limit of what is acceptable for that PC. But it makes business sense to not give you over expensive components that you will never see the use of.

If you are going to buy this machine and leave it as is for the next year and not upgrade then "yes" it is a good deal. But if you do plan on upgrading be sure to upgrade the PSU also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

yea well to be honest, I would probably get a better PSU with it, and then buy another one from Komplett at the same time, cuz they really dont have a good selection of PSU's on ankermann at all. So basically PSU is all thats kinda crappy about the PC? Everything else seem ok? I'm buying a 27" Samsung HDTV too, so id be using that with it aswell as a 22" LCD too.

PC should be fairly powerful tho with all that rite? I've only ever owned a laptop, so I'm not too up on PC components :)

Personally, if you are going to be going through the trouble of ordering from germany, then order from hardwareversand.de.

I'd personally get a more powerful CPU, but if you are sticking with the E6600, then I'd get a better HSF to overclock it. I'd lose the DDR1066 ram and get some DDR800 sticks. Tests have also shown that there is no real benefit of the 640MB GTS over the 320MB GTS. Either fork out for a GTX, or downgrade to a 320MB, the extra money isn't worth it, or invest in 2x320MB GTS's, they'll be more than enough for most games if that 27" does 1080p.

Also, get a good ATX2.2 500W+ PSU, it is the backdone of your PC. Never overlook or skimp on the PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Also ditch the IDE hard drive, please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Is there any way to get that german site u mentioned into english no? Yea well I was looking at the E6600 processor on tomshardware.com and basically it came out on top of all of the AMD's and actually out performed the next processor up in its class. Plus it can get up to 3.6ghz overclock on just air cooling, so tbh I think that would do me for what I need for now at least anyway lol, although I know nothing about overclockin, nor would I try for a few weeks anyway.

I know this is stupid aswell, but whats wrong with the IDE hard drives? They crap?

Good idea about the graphics cards and ram thanks! I'll do that - just buy one 320mb card and then get another whenever I can

Is there any way to get that german site u mentioned into english no? Yea well I was looking at the E6600 processor on tomshardware.com and basically it came out on top of all of the AMD's and actually out performed the next processor up in its class. Plus it can get up to 3.6ghz overclock on just air cooling, so tbh I think that would do me for what I need for now at least anyway lol, although I know nothing about overclockin, nor would I try for a few weeks anyway.

I know this is stupid aswell, but whats wrong with the IDE hard drives? They crap?

Good idea about the graphics cards and ram thanks! I'll do that - just buy one 320mb card and then get another whenever I can

Yeah on the right of hardwareversand.de theres an english flag, click on it to change the site to english. Also, the CPU is good, but it requires a decent air cooler to be able to overclock it. The stock intel one is crap tbh. Invest in any of the heatpipe tower designs and your temps will drop, allowing you to overclock. I'd recommend the Thermalright Ultra120 extreme or the Tuniq Tower 120.

Also, wikipedia is your friend. IDE drives are now known as PATA drives (although the old IDE terminology seems to be sticking even though SATA drives are also an IDE technology)

What you want is a SATA3.0Gbps drive. The PATA drives are old, and operate a lot slower than the newer SATA drives. I'd recommend the Western Digital 500GB SE16 SATA drive off hardwareversand.de. They are excellent drives, reliable and quiet.

Advertisement