Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Broadband - VoIP??

Options
  • 16-07-2007 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

There was an article in The Triblune yesterday comparing the Vodafone, O2 and 3 broadband services.

It said Vodafone blocks file sharing and VOIP (sounds familiar... Clearwire :mad: )

And it said 3 does support VoIP. But failed to mention if O2 did or didn't so wondering if anyone has O2 and can they use Blueface or Skype??

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I doubt Three "support" VoIP but more it just works on their service same as any ISP's, but if you complain about horrible call quality due to high pings etc their not going to give a monkeys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

3 have Skype as a partner, and in some countries when you get a 3DataModem or card, they will give you some free Skype credit to get you going.

I can attest to the fact that Skype works absolutely brilliantly on 3. That being said, I would not rely on it to always work brilliantly due to the nature of HSDPA.

As far as file sharing being blocked on Vodafone, I support that: HSDPA is not designed for BitTorrent and other P2P protocols. That one guy going crazy on P2P will degrade performance for everyone in the cell and lead to poor performance for people trying to do useful stuff, like make Skype calls, download regular files or just surf the web.

Advertisement