Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Phone Service

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Just tried to call a number from my Digiweb 'phone line'........after ten seconds the line goes beep, beep, beep and dies. This fault has to be related to poor capacity planning in Digiphone, either on their IP network or in their IP-SS7 gateway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I wouldn't quite say the phone service is perfect in LIM.

I've no issues ringing out [tho twice in the last number of weeks I've been unable to ring out or receive calls but both were fixed the next day] but when i receive calls be it mobile or landline the call quality is piss tbqh; very bad interference.

But I can live with it for the time being given I've only had it working for about 8 weeks now; wouldn't use it as a primary phone tho for longterm myself.

In addition to not being able to make calls I have also had the problem that I am periodically unable to receive calls....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Same issue here in Galway, can receive but not dial out :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I have started having these problems today also. I can recieve 'most' calls but I have been unable to dial out to any number. I have contacted Digiweb support via email and am awaiting a response.

• Advertisement

I have started having these problems today also. I can recieve 'most' calls but I have been unable to dial out to any number. I have contacted Digiweb support via email and am awaiting a response.

Don't hold your breath waiting for these problems to be resolved like I did, you will be waiting for quite a while.....

Vote with your feet, if you have other broadband options, and tell them why you are leaving.......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most other broadband don't include a phone service at all.
    (ADSL is on top of a phone service, rather than including it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Thanks for the thread. I'm glad to know I am not on my own in experiencing a very poor quality phone service from DigiWeb Metro.

I've had constant problems with the service - poor sound quality and issues with calls not connecting (get a dial tone but the number does not connect, weird tone after about 30 seconds)

I've been on to support about it a few times with limited progress to date. I'll be back on to them again over the weekend but I think I'll be back to Eircom or BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

watty wrote:
    There are a number of issues that can affect the phone on Metro.
    • Poor signal. If the signal is this poor browsing is affected.
    • certain types of interference on the upstream frequency so that the base station is affected. This will affect uploads too and other VOIP systems such as Skype or Blueface. It may not be noticable on browsing or downloads
    • Incompatible handset. Typically the speech sounds distorted. Some expensive siemens handsets ...........
    Watty do you work for DigiWeb? If so why is the DigiWeb FAQ not updated with this info? Looking on the section on equipment it just has:
    DigiWebFAQ wrote:
    Will my existing analogue/DECT phone work?
    Yes

watty wrote:
    Most other broadband don't include a phone service at all.
    (ADSL is on top of a phone service, rather than including it).

The point is that Digiweb are marketing their phone service as an equivalent service to an Eircom phone line service. The reality is that it falls well short of being equivalent to an Eircom phone line service. When people find this out Digiweb are very quick to reply "the phone service is just an add-on service, provided free of charge"....or words to that effect. I'm no fan of Eircom, but their phone line service works 99.999% of the time, Digiweb's doesn't.

The phrase "Bait and Switch" comes to mind.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 dag_t_on_tv

Hello Boarders

I can see many others are suffering similar problems with Digiweb. The key issue that from their promotion and advertising you are led to believe that their phone service is an adequate substitute for a landline which is not the case. Just this weekend someone called me asking why my phoneline was engaged, it shouldn't have been, nobody was using it.

I've just called Comreg, they told me to contact Digiweb, make a formal compaint, you should get a case number, if not get the name of the person you are dealing with. Tell them you want an explanation of why the service isn't up to scratch and when the continuing problems will be resolved. If they do not reply to you in 10 days Com reg will take up the cudgel on your behalf.

Call Comreg on 01 8049600
    Call Digiweb on 1890 940 405

If there are enough complaints Comreg should see the systematic failure of Digiweb to live up to its promise of a substitute land line service.

dag_t

Please email support@digiweb.ie with your WIR number and clear list of issues with phone.

e.g.
    1) call type:
    Metro to Metro, Metro to landline, Landline to Metro, Metro to Mobile and Mobile to Metro.
    2) Issues: ringing, engaged, nothing happens
    3) Quality: Audio from Metro, Audio to Metro
    4) Make, model & type of phone handset in use.

For example Audio from metro can be prefect and audio to Metro (from say Mobile) OK for 30 seconds and then detoriate to unintelligable. But only for incoming call, not outgoing. It's that kind of details needed to track down the gremlins.

They ought to know your phone number and base station from the WIR number, but putting you name, address and phone number as well as WIR can't hurt.

For most people it seems OK, some people only use the broadband and some people aren't good at reporting faults. The more detailed emails and the more people checking out their service and noting exactly what any problem is the better.

If your service seems perfect, that is worth an email too. If almost everyone on a particular base is OK, then it suggestes the ones with a problem just might either have an incompatible phone or a faulty modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Dept of Comms controls ComReg through the powers it gives and denies it.
    Dept of Comms have no interest in fair regulation of their sector.
    Don't waste good summer time on trying to use ComReg to put order in poor operators.
    Just switch to another phone/VoIP provider.
    They'll get the message.

Switch and beat the bait & switchers.:D

tak wrote:
    Dept of Comms controls ComReg through the powers it gives and denies it.
    Dept of Comms have no interest in fair regulation of their sector.
    Don't waste good summer time on trying to use ComReg to put order in poor operators.
    Just switch to another phone/VoIP provider.
    They'll get the message.

Switch and beat the bait & switchers.:D
    Agreed! (and already switched!!) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

if you are going through comreg, there is no point contacting technical support at that point, you would need to contact complaints or customer services

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

watty wrote:
    Please email support@digiweb.ie with your WIR number and clear list of issues with phone.

e.g.
    1) call type:
    Metro to Metro, Metro to landline, Landline to Metro, Metro to Mobile and Mobile to Metro.
    2) Issues: ringing, engaged, nothing happens
    3) Quality: Audio from Metro, Audio to Metro
    4) Make, model & type of phone handset in use.

For example Audio from metro can be prefect and audio to Metro (from say Mobile) OK for 30 seconds and then detoriate to unintelligable. But only for incoming call, not outgoing. It's that kind of details needed to track down the gremlins.

They ought to know your phone number and base station from the WIR number, but putting you name, address and phone number as well as WIR can't hurt.

For most people it seems OK, some people only use the broadband and some people aren't good at reporting faults. The more detailed emails and the more people checking out their service and noting exactly what any problem is the better.

If your service seems perfect, that is worth an email too. If almost everyone on a particular base is OK, then it suggestes the ones with a problem just might either have an incompatible phone or a faulty modem.

I would have thought that given the amount of complaints on here and the reported responses from Digiweb support that they have had more than enough information and time to get the telephone service sorted out by now

You are only too well aware that a Digiweb rep on here has recently stated in the midst of a lot of technical bumpf that Digiweb regard their phone service as 'supplemental'

This would be perfectly fine except for the fact that this is not made to clear to customers in advance of signing up - in fact quite the reverse!!!

Customers can also complain to the advertising standards authority about the 'misleading' advertising.

Well I'm asking for the information rather than just "it doesn't work" as I want to investigate the issues. I don't do support. The 1st "port of call" has to be support and then they can forward relevent information.

I don't mind if people complain here, comreg or Advertising standards, but the only way issues can be resolved is if specific emails or letters outlining the issues are sent to Digiweb. The "whatever it is" creating problems for some people can't be fixed by anything Comreg does (unless someone else is deliberately creating problems, which I don't think is the case). Only Digiweb can identify sort out the issues for the minority of people that are experiencing them, and only by gathering information from users.

Eircom sells a phone service that in about 55% of cases can support reliable broadband. Digiweb sells about six or seven kinds of Broadband/Internet services, one of which (Metro) offers an integral (built in) Phone service with sockets for real phones, with only the calls charged. The Metro phone service should be 100% if the Metro Broadband works at all. I appreciate that for some people the phone service doesn't work and it isn't because of an incompatible phone (in some cases it is). I want to find out why so that it is 100% for everyone. So do some extensive checking dialing to & from your number with landline and mobile and email the results with your account details. Then we should get sorted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

watty wrote:
    Well I'm asking for the information rather than just "it doesn't work" as I want to investigate the issues. I don't do support. The 1st "port of call" has to be support and then they can forward relevent information.

I don't mind if people complain here, comreg or Advertising standards, but the only way issues can be resolved is if specific emails or letters outlining the issues are sent to Digiweb. The "whatever it is" creating problems for some people can't be fixed by anything Comreg does (unless someone else is deliberately creating problems, which I don't think is the case). Only Digiweb can identify sort out the issues for the minority of people that are experiencing them, and only by gathering information from users.

Eircom sells a phone service that in about 55% of cases can support reliable broadband. Digiweb sells about six or seven kinds of Broadband/Internet services, one of which (Metro) offers an integral (built in) Phone service with sockets for real phones, with only the calls charged. The Metro phone service should be 100% if the Metro Broadband works at all. I appreciate that for some people the phone service doesn't work and it isn't because of an incompatible phone (in some cases it is). I want to find out why so that it is 100% for everyone. So do some extensive checking dialing to & from your number with landline and mobile and email the results with your account details. Then we should get sorted.

I dont know why you keep referring to Eircom's phone service in relation to this issue it is totally irrelevant.

Are you speaking officially on behalf on Digiweb here? Digiweb if we are to go by the number of posts here about their telephone service have been inundated with calls and presumably details of people's problems. Apparently the attitude is 'Sure you are not paying line rental what can you expect?' While I repeat myself here I know but tellingly in a recent thread on this subject an apparent representative of Digiweb stated that the phone service was 'supplemental'. Digiweb have had ages to get this problem sorted out -that's if it can be sorted out of course - so why are you now on here looking for details to sort things out? And why do they continue to advertise the product as if it was a direct replacement for a landline?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ben G

watty wrote:

Hi watty,

sorry for dragging up an old post but I'm also having some trouble with the Metro phone service and came across this thread. I did pretty much what you recommended and sent an email last week with the problem I am having. Unfortunately I didn’t get a response, not even an automated reply just to say it is being followed up and I’d hear back within so many days.

The problem I'm having is when people are calling me they sometimes get through but more often than not they get an engaged tone even though I'm not on the line. I called the support number about this before but didn't get any joy either. They first recommended trying a different phone, I’ve tried three now with no difference, the original phone I used was from argos but I’ve also tried an old eircom supplied phone my folks had spare. Apart from that they dialled in and checked the settings on the modem but said there wasn't anything else they could do.

I was going to give up on the service and cancel when my 12 months is up shortly (I availed of the free installation offer) but as I’m happy with the broadband part of the service I thought I’d give it one more try. You obviously know a lot about the service so before giving up completely and cancelling I was wondering if you think this intermittent engaged tone is something that might be possible to fix? If so what action do you think would bring this to the attention of the right person who would be able to help, is there a support manager who might look into it? I seen the information on contacting comreg above but I'd be like the poster who suggested if the service isn’t up to the standard then vote with your feet, if enough people do it the company should get the message.

Thanks and sorry for the essay!

No problem

The situation is getting attention. I can't say more at the minute unfortunately. Most people have a fine service and that is why it so important that those that don't have a perfect service do report it. Amazing as it may seem most people with a problem may complain to workmates, friends, forums etc without clearly reporting it offically to the company.

Your phone connection should be perfect, so yes it can be fixed. Do make sure you actually get through to support (ring them) and give them your metro phone number and WIR account (in case for some bizzare reason the account has the wrong number, though I've never heard of it).

I can't promise anything other than your report will be taken seriously.

• Advertisement

watty wrote:
    No problem

The situation is getting attention. I can't say more at the minute unfortunately. Most people have a fine service and that is why it so important that those that don't have a perfect service do report it. Amazing as it may seem most people with a problem may complain to workmates, friends, forums etc without clearly reporting it offically to the company.

Your phone connection should be perfect, so yes it can be fixed. Do make sure you actually get through to support (ring them) and give them your metro phone number and WIR account (in case for some bizzare reason the account has the wrong number, though I've never heard of it).

I would suggest that if Digiweb could have easily fixed these problems they would have fixed them by now. To me it is obvious that Digiweb would have to invest a significant amount of money to fix these problems and that is why they have not fixed the problems. My guess is they have under-dimensioned their phone network systems.

I reported the faults I had with the service officially and very clearly to Digiweb. They, effectively, did nothing about it. Even more damingly, when I cancelled my Digiweb contract the Digiweb account representative contacted the Digiweb technical support about the faulty service and technical support didn't even have the courtesy to reply to her! If Digiweb don't respond to internal queries what hope does the end customer have?

And, as a final damnation to Digiweb, I asked them to remove/collect the equipment they installed when I cancelled. They told me they would, no problem. The result? Nothing, I still have the equipment two months later.......Going cheap, one WiMax Antenna, 20 metres of high quality co-ax and one broadband modem.....all funds raised go to charity! (and Digiweb technical support!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ben G

watty wrote:
    No problem

Cheers watty. The thing is I already tried the phone support and got nowhere with that, I thought email might be worth trying as a last resort before cancelling. Sometimes having a written record of exactly the issue you are having and the steps that have been tried to fix it as a sort of log will help find a solution quicker, with the phoneline you tend to speak to different people each time you ring up and end up going round in circles.

I included the account number in my email, I have double checked and it is correct. I'll go with your suggestion and give them a call to follow up but I don't think this should be necessary, if you publish an email address on your website for support issues in my opinion the least you can do is read and respond to them. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Advertisement