Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What order for second fix?

Options
  • 16-07-2007 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi

I've just had the plastering finished and am waiting for the plaster to dry before painting. Is there any particular order to second fix? Is there any advantage in having one trade in before another?

Should the plumber be in before the sparks?
    Should I try and tile all bathroom floors before the plumber starts?

Any ideas people have let me know or any experiences people have gone through would be great to hear...Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

octopus

the plumber will want all bathroom tiling done so he can fix the toilets / sinks to the correct depth.

Its best to have tiler in, then plumber, then elecetrician (so he can earth all the plumbers work), then carpenter, then painter then clean out and done.

Well the OP did say "second fix"
    So, making the assumption that all the first fix was done before plastering....

I would say tiler, plumber, electrician as kkelliher said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

normally the way i see it done is the sparkie(me) and plumber get things working and checked for leaks and then they come back after the tiler to fit sanitary ware and striplights etc.if you get a really bad plumber you want him in well before the tiler to fix all his leaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Thanks for all the replies.
    To clarify, it's a new build (not a renovation which may have confused badmanjam). First fix is complete, plastering completed about 3 weeks ago)

Thankfully plumber, electrician, tiler and carpenter are all friends of mine so I can ask them to come back when such and such has the next job finished.

I'll be getting the plumber in first as there's some work to complete in the downstairs bathroom before it can be tiled. The tiler will then complete his bit before the plumber comes back and fit's the sanitary ware. The electrician will be fitting the lights and sockets around this time and will earth taps etc when plumber is completed.
    Carpenters will fit door frames during this time and will come back after and fit floors (so they don't get wrecked by the rest) skirting and hang the doors. The stairs will be going in then.

On the painting front, for anyone reading this in the future, I've painted upstairs (dormer, dried out in no time). Downstairs is not quite there yet, still wet around the metal beads on the edges so i've painted the ceilings, so the electrician can fit the lights and i don't have to paint around them, and i'll be painting the walls on which the radiators hang before the plumber fits them. The rest i'll do as soon as it dries.

Advertisement