Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Doors & Window Frames

Options
  • 16-07-2007 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Do the management charges cover the cost of varnishing the wooden doors and window frames? Wishful thinking I guess?

Are the management committee looking to negotiate a "bulk deal price" for all those who want to pay for this to be done?

I recon mine will need doing next year and i'm working out if i should do it myself or there's a "can't refuse offer" out there for some one to do it for me.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Touchy subject with me...... i mean with a friend........

A guy i know;) painted his door a "different" color to the stock wood and has recieved 2 letters and 3 phone calls insisting it be returned to it's origonal state as he's in breach of contract. Despite the fact roughtly 1/3 of the houses in Charlesland have differnet colors. he's still breaching his contract.

He knows that there are different managment compnaies but at the time, my friend;) didn't know this and thought that the folks had just fancied a bit of personalisation.

So be careful, if you want a gold star, make sure the varnish isn't too different

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

surely if they can insist on keeping the same colour, then it is their responsibility to do the maintainance.

my window frames are looking very faded - pretty poor after only 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

loyatemu wrote:
    surely if they can insist on keeping the same colour, then it is their responsibility to do the maintainance.

my window frames are looking very faded - pretty poor after only 2 years.

I'm only guessing, but i thinks that would depend if your free hold or lease hold.

If your freehold, (house) the windows are your problem, leasehold (apartment) the managment company are responsible for the upkeep of the building and therefore window frames and doors. This SHOULD be one reason for the huge difference in managment fees..

Again, i could be way way off here so please point out any errors on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 D2

In Charlesland Court, the management company is about to set about revarnishing all the duplexes, which comes under their responsibility, as these are "common areas".

However, while houses are not covered by this in terms of the management fees, the lease states that any decorations or alterations to houses need to have permission in the first instance from the management company. See below:

13 To Decorate

13.1 At all times to maintain the sold premises in first class decorative condition

13.2 Not to decorate the exterior of the sold premises otherwise than with the prior consent in writing of the developer and/or the management company

14 Alterations

14.1 Not to make any alteration in or to the sold premises without the approval in writing of the Lessor and the developer or the management company of the plans and specifications submitted to the Lessor and the developer or the management company for approval and to make those alterations only in accordance with the said plans and specifications when so approved and to obtain at the Lessee’s own expense all licences planning permissions and other things necessary for the lawful carrying out of such alterations and to comply with all regulations applicable generally and or to the specific works undertaken.

14.2 Not without prior consent in writing of the Lessor and the developer or the management company make any alterations or additions whatsoever (structural or otherwise) to the private garden forming part of the sold premises or to carry out any development within the meaning of the Local Government Planning and Development Act 2000 or use the private garden forming part of the sold premises in such a manner as to be or become a nuisance or annoyance to the Lessors and occupiers of any of the other houses or units or to detract from the amenities of any of the other houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

They're doing them in the wood at present.Wait till the agm and the owners see the bill :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

So am i basically right in saying

1) Lease hold (apartments) the management agency are sorting you out as part of the management fees.

2) Freehold you make your own arrangments but with quite a few restrictions.

Would it make sense for people with leasehold (who don't want to do the work themselves) to get a quote with a contractor if we could benefit from a better price given the numbers?

I guess we could ask the management committee to coordinate?

Advertisement