Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Slow Shut Down

• 16-07-2007 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Recently my PC is awful slow about shutting itself down.
    Is this the beginning of the end to something ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

How long is the operating system installed? have you checked for spyware? do you have a lot of programs running in your taskbar? any chance of your specs?

But after asking you all that it does sound like your PC needs a simple reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

How long is the operating system installed ?
    Not long 2 months say. It was a drive image of an install done 12 months ago on the old drive.

Have you checked for spyware?

Yes - she's clean.

Do you have a lot of programs running in your taskbar?

Not too many - Anti-virus, softphone, LAN connection and messenger (for email alerts only).

Any chance of your specs?

Dell Dim 4300 (Dec/2001, XP SP2 Home, Pentium 4/1.6 GHz, 256 MB nVidia, Maxtor 40 GB HD - the rest on attached getsysteminfo file)

But after asking you all that it does sound like your PC needs a simple reinstall.
    Oh no !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Ok maybe a clean install is a bit drastic considering its only a two month install, it does sound like a TSR programme is not closing down when you reboot so maybe d/load StartupList and go through the programs you have running in the background and disable them until you find the culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This can happen if a device the OS expects to be there is missing. (I had a USB modem on my PC for a while, and then unplugged it. PC was very slow to shut down until I removed it from Device Manager.) What may be happening is Windows is trying to shut it down but can't find it.

I notice that my immoveable files are - most unusually in my experience - in 2 blocks.
    I always assumed that these were important system files whose addresses were kept fixed for convenient location . . .

Is there any (dangerous) significance to their being in 2 distinct blocks?

• Advertisement

I mean this thing in the attached image.

Is it odd for immoveable files to be in 2 green blocks rather than 1 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

tak wrote:
    I mean this thing in the attached image.

Is it odd for immoveable files to be in 2 green blocks rather than 1 ?

Nah that is perfectly fine going on my own experience. Mine have always been like that and on any computers I have been fixing up.

But after a fresh system reinstall - isn't it usually in one green block, close to the left side of the defrag disk range ?
    Always so with my installs and those of a new manuf installed system I've seen . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Last fresh install I did with XP was about 3 months ago. I seem to remember there being the two seperate blocks of immovable files. One near the beginning of the disk representation and one about two-thirds to three quarters of the way along.Second block being the largest.

Did the dreaded reinstall.
    Slow shut down problem gone.
    Green unmoveable files in one block now, too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement