Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows (Vista) Updates not installing.

• 16-07-2007 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to get the automatic updates for my Vista home basic to install for the last week. There were 6 updates that when I choose to install, all seemed fine. Then Restarted when prompted and when Vista restarted, Got the same 6 updates to install again.

I then checked the update log and by clicking on each update, a detailed window gave a link to that update support page, from which i downloaded and installed the update manually.

I'm now down to 1 update, "Security Update for Windows Vista KB935807". I have also seen that there is another KB935807 which is an update for Windows.

Can anyone suggest what is happening or more importantly a solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

In control panel\administrative tools check the event viewer and see if it logged why the updates weren't applied.

Look under;
    Event Viewer\Applications and services\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Update Client\Operational

In the same admin tools section go into services and find the Windows Update Service stop and then restart it and make sure it's set to automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

In control panel\administrative tools check the event viewer and see if it logged why the updates weren't applied.

Look under;
    Event Viewer\Applications and services\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Update Client\Operational

There is nothing in the event logs to say why it did not install. Just the regular finding updates, installing them and then restarting.

In the same admin tools section go into services and find the Windows Update Service stop and then restart it and make sure it's set to automatic.

I have turned the auto update service off and then on but no change.

I'm using a 4 month old Dell Inspirion 6400 laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well the strange this is I could have sworn I saw this problem and solution a few months back but I just cannot remember what it was, I'm trying to jog my memory but I just cannot recall it.

Is your account a member of the admin account just in case it might be a standard user with a restricted account.

I would try system restore to a point before this happened now go to Windows Update but untick any security updates related to the .NET Framework 1.1 or 2.0 and see if the remaining updates install and are removed from WU after that.

There is also an method for cleaning out the temp folders used by WU, so give that a try as well on the off chance it may work.
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=910336

I did have a similar problem with my 5 year old XP desktop when installing updates for .Net framework. Got a link here to an external support page from an ex-Microsoft employee.

I have cleared the back-up file for the updates as suggested on a Microsoft support link found by clicking on the update and following suggestions as to why it failed.

My GF happened to log on first on day and the laptop was slow. Assumed that this was due to AVG free and it downloaded large update file and installed alot of components. The windows update icon did not appear in the system tray when it would normally would. I then powered down and restarted the laptop and logged in as myself. All fine there so happy now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement