Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty house with active DSL & number [updated]

Options
  • 16-07-2007 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm getting keys to my new place on July 27th, but want to minimise my BB downtime.

Assuming there's no way to just transfer my Magnet (*plug their excellent product and service*), I'll have to terminate them.

Should I order a phone line off Eircom now, so they can be working on it ?
    How important is it to find out the previous phone number for the new address? (I saw a post somewhere advising dial 190000 or something.....)

Am I in for a lengthly delay before the new line gets tested for broadband?

Does the process happen more quickly if you order Eircom BB (which I don't want)?

If the previous number had passed the line test, will that automatically carryover to me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Ordering a new line from eircom will take ages. I waited two years. Are you moving to a house which would be connected to the same exchange so that you could transfer your number to that house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

Update:

So I just spoke to a nice lady at Eircom:
    - the line is still active (even though property is vacant)
    - it has DSL already
    - it's not with Eircom
    - she gave me the existing phone number

How do I go about inheriting these people's broadband??!
    I don't even know who the current telco is??:confused:

I stuck their old phone number into the various line checkers (eircom, BT, Magnet, Smart, Digiweb DSL, IBB DSL); all of them said it was BB ready, but none of them said they already provided a service to that number....

* Well I can exclude BT at least, just called them and it's not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

AFAIK, it takes a long time for it to be activated the first time as an engineer needs to go to your exchange to do something there.. Subsequent enabling of the line for xDSL seems to be quicker.

The current residents may well intend to cancel their service shortly.

Regarding the line checkers, I don't believe they tell you if they provide a service to the number(s) you test.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

campers wrote:
    Update:

So I just spoke to a nice lady at Eircom:
    - the line is still active (even though property is vacant)
    - it has DSL already
    - it's not with Eircom
    - she gave me the existing phone number

How do I go about inheriting these people's broadband??!
    I don't even know who the current telco is??:confused:

I stuck their old phone number into the various line checkers (eircom, BT, Magnet, Smart, Digiweb DSL, IBB DSL); all of them said it was BB ready, but none of them said they already provided a service to that number....

* Well I can exclude BT at least, just called them and it's not theirs.

AFAIK all of the checkers simply check the Eircom database on lines none of them will tell you that they provide bb service to that line. Presumably you will have to contact the previous owners of the house and ask them what exactly the position is regarding the telephone account. Only when you have established this can you begin transferring the account to your self.

Advertisement