Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Pro Ram Usage?

• 16-07-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Ive a computer running windows xp pro and ive got 4GB of ram... but then ive got 768MB on the graphics card and 64MB on the sound card...

Now im curious in my boot.ini file it has max memory of 4096 which is only 4GB

Should this be set higher to 4928 so I can make use of all the ram? from the video card and sound card?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I don't think so, no. Windows will only use the RAM in the RAM slots on your motherboard. However, integrated video cards have no trouble dipping into your RAM to improve performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

As I posted before ... Wont make a difference on 32bit. On 64bit its different

First off you need to enable a memory hole remap so that the BIOS can see all of the 4GB of RAM. Secondly in the case of your machine you are getting confused between RAM and Memory addressing.

The memory hole remap allows the BIOS to allocate anything in RAM that would be normally addressed for system devices such as your soundcard and GFX.

So if you didnt so the mem remap you would be doing the following. 4096 - 768 - 64 - Amt for system devices = amount of RAM your BIOS will recognise and show the OS ie the 32bit range of your BIOS for mem addresses.

With the remap its a case of 4096 - 768 - 64 - Amt = where the remap takes place and places that memory address above the 32bit range. Windows 2000 Adv Server had 48bit addressing allowing up to 8GB of installed RAM at the time. It made use of this feature.

Now what you are asking is to make your memory from all your devices availible to user space which is a big NO-NO!! You can only allocate RAM memory to user space not device memory in the case of your GFX etc..

The /3GB or /MAXMEM switches are for allocating memory into different spaces for use by the OS. In the case of the /3GB it moves 3GB into user space and 1GB into system space. Provided that the app is 3GB aware and can take advantage of it. Certain CAD systems and Photoshop I think can do it. Most games ignore it.

If you are using 64bit windows I think you can leave out the /MAXMEM switch if you use the remap feature of your BIOS.

Advertisement