Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty of tiling a large surface (DIY Project)

Options
  • 16-07-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭

In simple terms - how difficult is it for a novice to tile a 4m x 4m area up to a good standard...? :D

In depth:
    My wife and I are planning on tiling the dining room as we have a 2 year old boy, a woolen- 8mm pile, cream carpet (yes you did read that correctly - we didn't pick it!).
    We were looking at some fantastic tiles yesterday, and appear to have decided on what we want. There is a caveat... She wants to get a tiler in to do the job 'in a day' - I've explained that this can't be done as it's more than just firing down tiles and putting grout around the edges.
    I'm also an avid DIY'er and I've read up a little on tiling...!

Here's what needs to be done:

1. Move radiator and piping from existing wall, 2m around the corner.
    2. Cement pipework from radiator move.
    3. Remove skirting boards.
    4. Wash/prep concrete floor.
    5. Prime new areas of concrete.
    6. Level the floor to take tiles (self leveling compound).
    7. Lay tiles.
    8. Grout tiles.
    9. Seal grout.

(1 & 2) I expect to have the radiator move completed in two evening's work roughly.
    (3 & 4 & 5) Remove skirting and wash/prep of the floor will take ~4hrs to dry. May do this on Friday night. I can get the priming for the fresh concrete completed at that stage too.
    6 - Saturday Morning: I don't think I need to use huge amount of self leveling compound, a couple of mm here and there, so I'm estimating that the drying time will be approx 2-3 hours.
    7 - Saturday Morning: Dry-lay and then wet-lay tiles. Completing approx Saturday night.
    8 - Sunday Afternoon: Grout tiles. Clean down multiple times...
    9 - Monday night: Seal grout.

I'm planning on investing in a proper tile cutter and the usual list of tools.

So, am I pushing the boat out too far?
    Any comments are appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Sounds like your halfway there with the planning.
    I did a bathroom recently, first time tiling, no problems. Having an angle grinder for those awkward cuts was an advantage. I didnt use leveling compound, ground was reasonably flat, and I used enough grout with a spirit level to keep things even.
    Plan out where your starting from and you'll save tiles and time.

Check out: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/tiling/index.htm for some good advice.

Id rather waste a few tiles than pay a weeks wages to someone for a few hours work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

2 points to note, seal before u grout.
    The other about the self leveling compound, from experience you need to give this the day to dry, the reason been that if start to put down adhesive and the compound is wet is will break your heart.

Don't forget to dry tile one line of tiles each way to see how ur cuts will finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Thanks yop - but what do you mean 'seal before you grout'?
    What should I seal first if it's not the grout?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Apologise, I shud have read it correctly!!" I thought you were applying a sealer to the tiles!! If you were then this is done before you grout!!

Ah - I get you.

Well, that is a very valid point, because we were looking at what I believe were limestone tiles, and these may need some sealing alright.

I'll check it out!

• Advertisement

From my limited knowledge I think you have to seal these other wise they are open to staining.

Correct. I'll check it out and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Yeah, natural stone tiles should be sealed before you grout. Otherwise the grout may stain the stone (AFAIK). You can then seal again after grouting. Depending on the thickness of the tiles you may need to get a special (heavy duty) wet saw to cut them. It'll make life easier.

Make sure you get adhesive that is suitable for the colour tiles you are using. The adhesive can "seep" through some tiles.

Advertisement