Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe pain after botched removal?

• 16-07-2007 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got a tooth pulled on Friday which was badly decayed and slightly broken. During the extraction the tooth snapped and each root had to be removed individually. This took 40 minutes and needless to say I was in a nice bit of pain.

Its Monday now, and the pain in my gum is still as bad as when the anastethic wore off on Friday evening. Any ideas on why this is, and what painkillers would be best for it? Going on holidays on Wednesday so want to make some progress before then..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Well that will answer my question about broken tooth removal on my visit this week. I think I will opt for RCT. Ideally, my dentist advised that it should take no more than 10-15 mins to carry out a tooth extraction. By the sounds of it yours was definitely more troublesome. So why wouldn't you still be in pain? That is a lot of trauma to your gums and mouth. If it hasn't settled by tomorrow I would contact the dentist. He may recommend Ibuprofen. I had teeth pain recently and used Nurofen plus and found it excellent. You and your mouth have gone through some ordeal so you are bound to still be in a lot of pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Was this actually a "botched" removal? Decaying teeth do sometimes snap during a removal. Can't blame that on the dentist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Well if the dentist even said "oh ****" when it snapped, I'd consider it to be botched. Just noticed last night the pain is coming from the wisdom tooth in the back of my mouth. Is it possible he damaged the nerve or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ashewood

I got a tooth out years ago and was in alot of pain for about a week. After the week I woke up to find that the "plug" of gum had burst and had to wait for it to plug again. Would advise seeing someone before going on holidays as it could get infected. If the pain feels like a nerve pain Neurofen is v good but the dentist can prescribe something stronger!

I'm taking Neurofen Plus and Anadin Max Strength but they only seem to last for 3 hours then the pain comes back. He prescribed me Flagyl (antibiotics) but the dose will only last me until tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

DarkJager wrote:
    Well if the dentist even said "oh ****" when it snapped, I'd consider it to be botched.

No idea what that even means, but if it helps to blame someone else for your tooth decay, then roll with it ;)

It means that when he went to take it out, and it broke, he actually said "oh ****"...which are the 2 words I never want to hear from a dentist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

DarkJager wrote:
    Well if the dentist even said "oh ****" when it snapped, I'd consider it to be botched. Just noticed last night the pain is coming from the wisdom tooth in the back of my mouth. Is it possible he damaged the nerve or something?

So the tooth was "badly decayed and slightly broken". It's not surprising that it snapped, tbh. I don't know how you can possibly blame the dentist for something your oral hygiene has caused :confused:

He/She probably cursed because they thought they were going to get the tooth out without it snapping and causing them an extra 40 minutes work which they do not get any overtime pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

DarkJager wrote:
    It means that when he went to take it out, and it broke, he actually said "oh ****"...which are the 2 words I never want to hear from a dentist

Absolutely not! You wouldn't want to hear it from a Doc as he stitches your wound or from a mechanic as he does your carbs...

...regardless of what caused the problem you are paying them to fix.

Very unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

why do patients wait until teeth are rotten to do something about it? these are very hard teeth to get out and it then becomes the dentists problem. there is nothing to hold onto, and more often than not they are infected with the bone and gum bleeding profusely making visability very difficult and need in many cases to be surgically extracted by removing bone with a drill.
    to the OP the pain more than likely is due to an infection of the bone if it is a deep seated throbbing pain. this is likely as the surgery undoubtadly introduced bacteria from the decayed tooth into the bone. it will heal shortly with or without antibiotics. please consult your dentist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

DarkJager wrote:

Maybe he remembered that he had read you saying this :D

Feel better soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I had something similar a few years ago so I went poking (not the best idea etc) and removed a tiny sliver of broken tooth , sorted in a day or two.

Advertisement