Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nokia n93 with sat nav?!

• 16-07-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm a noob when it comes to mobile phone technology - I was looking on ebay over the weekend and came across an n93 that had tom tom sat nav installed on it. I looked further but could not find any other phones with this feature (something I would really like to get!) Anyway, my query is, can I get any n93 and upgrade it with sat nav - if so, what do I have to get and is it a once off payment, or a subscription?
    Also, is there any other (nokia) phones that can have sat nav installed on them - if so, what do I look for or how do I tell if a phone can have this upgrade?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have an n93 at the moment. You can buy either the Tom Tom package for it, or the Route 66 package. It's a one off payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Does "GPRS" refer to the phones ability to host sat nav?

Is yours an Irish phone Ned? I was looking at an unlocked n93-1 (non-european import)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

GPRS is a method of data transfer between the network and your phone. Like a modem. Unfortunately, it sounds similar to GPS, which is a different thing entirely.

Mine's an unlocked phone, bought from the UK. It really won't matter where you buy it from, as it's a quad band phone, I had a quad band n90 I bought from Thailand, and it was fine here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

ned78, does this mean that while you're using the Sat Nav on the phone, you are incurring wap/mobile internet charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Pretty much any series 60 nokia can be upgraded to include GPS. BUT, you have to buy the software and, unless its an N95, you'll need to buy a GPS reciever with bluetooth as well. this is generally about the size of the phone, and recieves satellite info and sends it to your phone by bluetooth. these cost about 100 quid or thereabouts, so its expensive to buy it and software, and you also have to carry the reciever about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement