Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copper or Qualplex under concrete.

Options
  • 16-07-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭

Am I correct in thinking that I can't use copper piping in a concrete slab, and that only Qualplex should be installed?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

10-10-20 wrote:
    Am I correct in thinking that I can't use copper piping in a concrete slab, and that only Qualplex should be installed?

Thanks! :D

You canuse copper pipe in a conrete slab, but you should lag it to prevent damage. Same for Qualpex

Though TBH, laying pipes in slabs is bad practice and sholud be avoided due to the:
    1) increase chance of damage
    2) much more difficult to repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

Hello

Copper piping or Qualplex may be used in underfloor applications, But in both cases insulation should be applied to all pipework. This is for three reasons, prevent mechanical damage, Prevent any reaction between the encasing material and the encased material, and finally to prevent/reduce heat loss.

Although If the purpose of using the qualplex is for underfloor heating pipe, I is not reccommended as the Qualplex does not contain an oxygen barrier.

Hope that helps

Aus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

OK, thanks!
    I've already had to repair a leaking qualplex pipe in the same concrete floor. It turned out to be a where the plummer forgot to tighten the nuts on a 90-degree elbow. The job wasn't too hard to do as the lagging made it easier to smash the surrounding concrete. In-fact, that's what got me thinking of moving the radiator!

I'll lag it well!

Advertisement