Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cert of Compliance for Attic Conversion

Options
  • 16-07-2007 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Im looking at getting attic conversion done on three bed end of terrace with Southside Attic Conversions (Martin).

Has anyone received a certificate of compliance from an engineer on a conversion done by this company on the three bed house? If so, did you need to source your own engineer (I know it's not included in the price we were quoted, and I suspect it is best that this is done independent from the builder anyway)? If anyone has used a different builder, likewise did you source your own engineer to obtain this, and if so, at what stage of the process?

I have spoken to one engineer who said he would need to see the roof before it began (for EUR 520 plus vat), and I think at various stages thereafter, and we would be charged for each one. This could easily run into a few grand!

Would really love to hear from others on what they did, or have you just got the job done with no cert at all at the end? Or if anyone can PM me with a recommended engineer?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

same guy did ours - he sourced the engineer (a company in Drogheda I think)
    its an engineers cert, not a cert of compliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

Certs of compliance hold no weight laws changed on jan 1st this year on attic conversions and all certs issued last year are now invalid as specs changed .Check Dept of Environment website for specs. Anybody who did one last year may not be in compliance the only way to be certain is to get your insurance company to send out their surveyor. I sold a house in Charlesland recently without a cert the buyers surveyor and their bank had no probs with it.A neighbour who sold with a cert dated when it was done in 05 had to get the whole thing redone all over again another 555 and it cost him 7000 more in fire proofing and stairs widening and changing his velux before he could close the sale.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

appoint a construction professional before the works start .

can be architect , architectural technician , surveyor or engineer . they must have profesional indemnity cover .

accepting a cert from a contractors profesional is not best option - because it will be the contractors professional - not yours

so before works start your profesional should

1. either prepare a works specification ( or review and have ammended if required , the existing spec proposed by the conractor )
    2. visit the property

During works the profsional should make at least 2 visits

1. when structural works are completed but no plastering at all - to inspect "naked" struture
    2. when works are completed

This is not "wasted" money . The situation described in the post above is

Advertisement