Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing car door

Options
  • 16-07-2007 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

I recently sold a 94 C-class Mercedes to a friend. He got a large dent in the drivers door. We've managed to get hold of another door in the same colour. How hard would it be to remove the door, swap all the internals, lock, trim etc, over to the 'new' door and replace it on the car? Is this the kind of thing I could reasonably do myself? I have tools and a reasonable amount of common sense, will this be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

Easy enough job, probs involve a bit of cursing at swapping the window mechanism if you need to. Also some more cursing if the maker used an odd bolt head for the door hinges and a final bit of cursing if it does not line up and close right, but easy enough :)

TIP: mark the hinge positions before removing the old door, OK so the new one may not line up perfectly at that but it's a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks for that. Is there anything in particular i'll need beforehand, ie trim clips etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Fairly easy to do, best thing to do is to strip the door of all the bits you want before taking it off, un bolt the check strap and pull all the wires from the door into the a-pillar, and lift up, the merc lock bolts are star head T25, placed behind a rubber trim that sits the whole way around the door, also there is the locks that are air powerd that are rubber hoses, just be sure not to break the clips:)

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Has everyone seen the way Jeremy Clarkson removed the door on his Transit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Didnt he use Duct tape to put it back on:D

ah classic Jezza

-VB-

• Advertisement
Advertisement