Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new graphics card

Options
  • 16-07-2007 12:46pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hey all,just wondering if this graphics card is worth buying? 512MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX graphics card,and also because its directx9 supported when direct x10 games come out,will this card be able to support them? any help would be great cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As far as I know most games that come out will still support dx9 for a while (maybe a year or so) as the vast majority of pc's will still only have dx9 cards. Although they will support the fancy features dx10 offers them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ok thanks for that,and what about the graphics card itself?is it good for gaming?and for handling all the lastest games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

DX9 cards cannot support DX10 just so you know but as AlmightyCushion pointed out DX9 is still the dominant API so it's not going anywhere for a long time.

Also the name is odd as GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX means it's a mobile part for laptops not a graphics card for PC's so I hope you don't end up with something you cannot use.

The best value graphics card at the moment is the €141 X1950Pro and handles must stuff with ease, if you go past the €250 mark there is no point in getting anything else other than a 8800GTS 320 assuming you have no desire to spend more than €300.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sorry i probbly should have made it clearer,im using a laptop and i was thinking of upgrading to this graphics card,and i just wanted to know if it was a good card for gaming?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks 8t8. I probably should have made that clearer. The games may support the fancy spiffyness of dx10 but only dx10 cards will be able to take advantage of this. If I remember correctly upgrading a graphics card can only be done in a few (usually expensive) laptops. Unless of course you are buying the laptop new and this is an upgrade option then you should ignore my previous comment.

• Advertisement

Upgrading laptop that is yet to be bought (the 7950GTX is an option to buy) or is this an existing laptop ?

If this is a new laptop and the 7950GTX is an option then yeah go for it as you are fairly limited in what you can buy.

If this is an existing laptop then upgrading it is not a straight forward process unless it is being done by the folks who make the laptop in the first place.

There are all sorts of issues like heat, power and the interface as it is not standard that means unless you know exactly 100% on every variable you are taking a risk so I would not get the upgrade if doing it your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

8T8 wrote:

The best value graphics card at the moment is the €141 X1950Pro and handles must stuff with ease, if you go past the €250 mark there is no point in getting anything else other than a 8800GTS 320 assuming you have no desire to spend more than €300.

Hi 8t8

Just on the 8800 GTS. I have a dell 8400 and an x850 PT which is getting a bit creaky now. Theres no way I can buy a new machine at the moment and upgrading the psu in the dell is a pain. Any idea whats that fastest card I could get (pci-express) that will run on the stock 350 watt psu.

The 8800GTS 320 will most likely work in the X850XT did as it has the PCI-e power connector for the GPU.

Been reading around on this. It could be on the limit. A few review sites mention a 400watt psu minimum....

Could be worth a shot all the same - wouldnt like it to overload though when pushed hard.

Any idea what happens when you overload a psu - is it new psu time

The worst that will happen is that the GPU wont be getting enough power and games will have visual artifacts or crash nothing else.

The 8800GTS 320 power requirements really aren't all that demanding at all like I said if the PSU already has the PCI-e power connector for the GPU then it will most likely be okay.

• Advertisement

Might give it a shot so. Its often rumoured on the web that dell psus are stronger then rated but without a meter I've no idea if this is true.

Oh well if she blows I can use it as an excuse to get a new machine!

Advertisement