Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wall to put a LCD TV

Options
  • 16-07-2007 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all, I am new on the boards so apologies if this first thread doesn’t come out right. I have searched the previous posts and could not find anything so if this is a duplicate please feel free to point me to the original one. Basically I am looking to put a LCD TV (18 Kg) on the living room wall (on a 2 bed terraced house). The wall that would suit me is the one that corresponds to the side of the downstairs bathroom, but that wall is not solid and I don’t believe it would cope with the weight. Question is, has anyone done the same or similar? And if so any extra work was required on the wall?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sandeman wrote:
    Hi all, I am new on the boards so apologies if this first thread doesn’t come out right. I have searched the previous posts and could not find anything so if this is a duplicate please feel free to point me to the original one. Basically I am looking to put a LCD TV (18 Kg) on the living room wall (on a 2 bed terraced house). The wall that would suit me is the one that corresponds to the side of the downstairs bathroom, but that wall is not solid and I don’t believe it would cope with the weight. Question is, has anyone done the same or similar? And if so any extra work was required on the wall?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

One of the forums under Home Entertainment may be more appropriate if you don't get any answers here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

I work in the AV business and use one guy for all of my installs. He's bloody good and very resonable (comparitivly speaking). PM if you want his number

From my own experiences, think very carefully before mounting a TV.

1) Where will you put the boxes! Sky, NTL, DVD etc etc.

2) Will you ever want to change the layout of the room?

3) IF you still wall mount it, pre-plan. Put in cables that will fill every socket on the TV

You may not want them now but you may buy a new box in the future that needs a special connection (DVI or HDMI) and you don't want to have to take the TV down later

Also, have a look at these threads for advice and DIY mounting

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055101428
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055085208

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Sandeman

Thank you both for the replies. My first concern, before I start thinking of cabling etc was really if that specific wall could hold the TV. I guess I'll have to research a bit more. In the meantime if anyone knows somebody they would recommend to do this type of job please feel free to send me a PM.
    Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Sandeman wrote:
    Thank you both for the replies. My first concern, before I start thinking of cabling etc was really if that specific wall could hold the TV. I guess I'll have to research a bit more. In the meantime if anyone knows somebody they would recommend to do this type of job please feel free to send me a PM.
    Thanks a lot.

I do know a few people put TV's on the wall you mentioned. I don't know if they are still there though.............

Any reputable installer will give you free advice, and won't put a TV up if there is any risk of it falling.

I've PM'd you two numbers for guys i use

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I've mounted a 32" on that wall, can't remember the exact weight, but its solid as a rock. Just make sure you find at least one support beam to mount the tv stand to and it should be ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement