Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS Light

Options
  • 16-07-2007 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have a 00 Audi A3 and the ABS light comes on sometimes on the car. Anyone know what this means. Does it mean there is a problem with the brakes or just the ABS?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When does it come on?
    The light shouldn't come on unless there is a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

when i swicth on the car, sometimes the ABS lightcomes on, others time it doesn't.

Would it be that the brake pads need changing or anything, or more likely a electrical fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does it stay on when you switch the car on or does it go out after a few seconds? If the latter then that's normal.

If you're in any doubt, get it checked - just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

nah, usually it stays on, will get it checked out this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

When the light stays on, did you test the brakes to see if the ABS is still working?

Make sure you're somewhere where there is no traffic, drive at about 20km/h and stamp on the brakes. If ABS is working the car will stop promptly while you feel the "jerking" of the brakes (being applied and unapplied time and time again) through your foot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I know sometimes on VAG group cars the ABS light can come on when one of the breaklights isn't working. Thinks it's an incomplete circuit so the system kicks up a fault.

Possibly a loose connection to one of the break lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Herself had an A3 & the ABS light came on for no reason. I got it reset & it didn't come on again???
    It could also be that the sensors are clogged with dirt and the system has shut itself off because of it.

Advertisement