Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL cable wireless options

Options
  • 16-07-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I currently have the 2mb NTL cable broadband package.

I have a 3com officeconnect (from a previous IIB installtion) which I've been using to share my connection
      PC using ethernet cable
      Xbox 360 using wireless
    However.... I can't seem to connect a second wireless device (e.g laptop)
    It can see the network however it is unable to get an ip address.
    I've trawled the web/boards and I've haven't seen a solution. Does anyone know if buying "an official" wirless router from ntl will do the trick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it is properly configured it should be fine.

Create a DMZ IP and give it to the Xbox.

on Ethernet WAN use DHCP, not bridged or PPPoE etc.

Disable the LAN DHCP and use static IPs
    192.168.0.1 for office connect
    192.168.0.11 xbox (set to DMZ of router)
    192.168.0.12 PC
    192.168.0.13 Laptop

etc...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Firstly there is no such thing as an 'official' NTL router. Any wireless router (sometimes referred to in ads as a 'cable router' should work no problem.

Does the laptop work in other wireless situations e.g. hotspots etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

dub45 wrote:
    Firstly there is no such thing as an 'official' NTL router. Any wireless router (sometimes referred to in ads as a 'cable router' should work no problem.

Does the laptop work in other wireless situations e.g. hotspots etc.?

Yes the laptop works fine with other wireless networks.

If i power down everything (modem, router, xbox, pc, laptop)
    And bring them up modem, router then laptop... I can get connect the laptop but not the xbox, thats why I was thinking I can only have one wireless connection with my current setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its probably just limited in the amount of IP's the DHCP will assign.

Find the ip range on the routers DHCP settings.

According to this page http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWE454G72you can have up to 128 connections!

It might be worth doing a factory reset in case you have any settings unwittingly left over from your previous set up.

• Advertisement

If it's in Bridge mode You'll only get one connection

dub45 wrote:
    According to this page http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWE454G72you can have up to 128 connections!

It might be worth doing a factory reset in case you have any settings unwittingly left over from your previous set up.

Its a 3com ASDL wireless router (model number 3CRWDR100A-71) , I have reset it to the factory settings and the only changes I made was to turn on WEP and to change the Wireless network name.

Just to clarify, I have NTL router connected into one on the 4 ethernet ports and the pc connected to another.

Its a 3com ASDL wireless router (model number 3CRWDR100A-71) , I have reset it to the factory settings and the only changes I made was to turn on WEP and to change the Wireless network name.

Just to clarify, I have NTL router connected into one on the 4 ethernet ports and the pc connected to another.

If it is an adsl router then that is probably the source of the problem. Basically an adsl router is not designed for this sort of set up - but some of the teccies here might be able to make suggestions for you to get it working but in general you are better off with a non adsl router for your type of set up.

If I need to change equipment, which is the better option?

Linksys WRT54GS or the dlink 524?

It should have a 5th ethernet WAN port. if not and it has an ADSL/RJ11 phone cable port it won't work.

If it has only 4 ethernet ports its certainly ADSL and no use. I'd not bother with the Dlink. Linksys or Netgear. The slightly cheaper Linksys may suit better.

The Linksys is better.

I use this one, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=321821 but as WiFi point only. I use a Linux box with Clarkconnect as the router. The router features are not reliable or enough performance for 6 users.

This one should be OK too http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306987

Or

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=308929

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?wf=X&bn=10282&minPrice=&maxPrice=60&inStockOnly=on

Check out Argos too. They call Ethernet WAN routers "cable routers" (though they have no modem in them).

• Advertisement

If I need to change equipment, which is the better option?

Linksys WRT54GS or the dlink 524?

The linksys wrt54g has always been a very popular choice however linksys made a bit of a mess of version 5 - however the 54gs seems to be pretty ok or the 54gl also gets a lot of recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

Sorry, Im the furthest thing from a techie... When you have a wireless router and you want to connect to it with a device, say an xbox 360. What do you have to connect to the Xbox's internet port?

Is it a Wireless adapter? If so, do these come with the linksys WRT54G?

Riche670 wrote:
    Sorry, Im the furthest thing from a techie... When you have a wireless router and you want to connect to it with a device, say an xbox 360. What do you have to connect to the Xbox's internet port?

Is it a Wireless adapter? If so, do these come with the linksys WRT54G?

You are better off starting a new thread when you have a query such as this.
    Also you should give as much detail of your current set up as possible. AFAIK (I am not a xbox expert to say the least!) the xbox has its own wireless card which has to be purchased seperately.

The linksys does not come with any adapters.

Advertisement