Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony attacks Xbox 360

• 16-07-2007 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a66030/sony-launches-scathing-microsoft-attack.html

Sony's VP of marketing Peter Dillie has complained that the Xbox 360 "doesn't even work" and that Microsoft's preferred HD-DVD format will be obsolete "in a matter of months".

Speaking during the E3 conference, Dillie said: "I don't want to be argumentative, but I take issue with Microsoft either having a long tail, or being profitable, because they've never done either. They've never made a dime in this business.

"With the Xbox 360 you've got an inconsistent design, some have a hard drive, some don't, and none of them have Blu-Ray, and the HD-DVD will be out of business in a matter of months. Is this a ten year product?

"And by the way it doesn't even work. Do they want to be selling it for ten years and refurbishing them all for ten more years? I don't think that's a ten year product. You could disagree with me, or they could disagree with me, but I'd put that up against the PS3 any day."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well he may have a point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Bitter much??

In fairness, Sony should be worrying about their own console. And blu-ray is not a plus at the moment. If Sony had to leave out blu-ray then they would not be in this position right now, their console would have been out much earlier and it would have been more competively priced. They would be probably leading the way in current sales but as it is they are lagging behind and people are hesiatant about forking out so much for a console to play games. I for one am and I won't be forking out the cash until they get their act sorted and get a good games catalogue and more competively priced console on our shelves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

At least MS had good games within 3 months of launch, currently have good
    games available and 99% of their E3 pitch was games out this year. Unlike
    Sony who had only 2 good titles out within the first 6 months of their US
    launch and most of the content they featured will not be out for another
    3-9 months. (I dont care about cross-platform games as I'll have already
    bought them -region free where possible - for the 360).

I reckon Sony are feeling the pain from loosing marketshare to both MS and
    Nintendo. It's Sony's own fault for delaying the PS3 and treating buyers in
    EMEA like 2nd class citizens. Sony sure as hell are not making cash this
    year selling PS3 games. Having a Ps3 sitting beside your Tv is like having a
    great car but petrol.

I'm not surprised by Sony's need for low blows against MS but I'd rather
    they put more effort into getting games onto the shelves so us owners
    of both consoles can have an excuse to power on our machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

woooo232 wrote:
    "With the Xbox 360 you've got an inconsistent design, some have a hard drive, some don't, and none of them have Blu-Ray, and the HD-DVD will be out of business in a matter of months. Is this a ten year product?

Inconsistent design? I find that an interesting choice of words.

It gives consumers choice and they can buy the features they want after purchase and this is a bad thing??? :confused:

He's right, I must not know whats good for me, I should have Bluray rammed down my throat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

here comes the sony train... :D
    jester77 wrote:
    In fairness, Sony should be worrying about their own console.

did you say Microsoft should be worrying about their own console whenever they made remarks in Sony's direction?
    jester77 wrote:
    And blu-ray is not a plus at the moment. If Sony had to leave out blu-ray then they would not be in this position right now, their console would have been out much earlier and it would have been more competively priced. They would be probably leading the way in current sales but as it is they are lagging behind and people are hesiatant about forking out so much for a console to play games. I for one am and I won't be forking out the cash until they get their act sorted and get a good games catalogue and more competively priced console on our shelves!

price is a sticking issue with the PS3, but to say Sony's in a bad position is slightly mis-judging the market. as it stands the PS3 is doing quite well, sure even Peter Moore said he expects the PS3 to get about 10 million this year (but then followed up with 360 stats to get loads more sales etc. etc.). the comments here weren't about the sales of PS3, or the price, it was more a jab at the 360 not being a console you can see lasting a decade. i.e. it's a quick-fix for a new console in 3 years time...
    LIGHTNING wrote:
    I find it funny the amount of chaff that comes out of the Sony PR department. I doubt anybody will be using the PS3 as their primary console in ten years time.

this wasn't Sony PR, it clearly says it's the VP of marketing. and not one man within Sony's halls said in 10 years time PS3 will be the primary gaming console, but they'll try their damndest to extend the primary console thing beyond 4 or 5 years. hell i'd say PS2 is still most peoples primary console, and how many years is that thing out?
    brim4brim wrote:
    It gives consumers choice and they can buy the features they want after purchase and this is a bad thing??? :confused:

i said this at the start of the 360 launch. it's not good to have different flavours of console. the point of a console is that everyone's on a level playing field, unlike PC gaming. without a HDD you can't play certain games, and some people can watch HD-DVD's, but others can't.

it segregates the market needlessly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Who really cares. I expect the companies to have jabs at each other. They are rivals after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Even if the HD-DVD does become obsolete.......it's not something you have to acquire!!!

PS3 = fail!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

jester77 wrote:
    Bitter much??

In fairness, Sony should be worrying about their own console. And blu-ray is not a plus at the moment. If Sony had to leave out blu-ray then they would not be in this position right now, their console would have been out much earlier and it would have been more competively priced. They would be probably leading the way in current sales but as it is they are lagging behind and people are hesiatant about forking out so much for a console to play games. I for one am and I won't be forking out the cash until they get their act sorted and get a good games catalogue and more competively priced console on our shelves!

Yes but the PS3 is completely based on the blu-ray, and HD gaming expierience. They want the game makers to use up the 50 gig on the disc to make it look immense, which i have no doubt they will in a few years. But by then id say Microsoft will have a much bigger lead on Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Kenny 5 wrote:

PS3 = fail!!!

Totally agree the price is ridiculous and the games are sh1t so far. Resulting to desperate measures methinks.

Stephen! wrote:
    Yes but the PS3 is completely based on the blu-ray, and HD gaming expierience. They want the game makers to use up the 50 gig on the disc to make it look immense, which i have no doubt they will in a few years. But by then id say Microsoft will have a much bigger lead on Sony.

To use a metaphor from a recent thread on here, a PS3 might look great
    but would you date a beautiful looking girl if you were not going to get any
    'action' for a year ? ;) Give me my 360 any day, she might be a bit noisy
    and often times she can be a tad temperamental but she sure knows how to
    deliver and she's kept me entertained any night I've wanted action for the
    last 18 months. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Give me my 360 any day, she might be a bit noisy

.....and then her ring turns all red.:D

Sure like most women you just trade her in for a newer model ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I can't figure out why people are surprised to see sony act arrogant, at this stage i'd be surprised to hear them being polite. However i think the argument about the ps3 not having any good games is getting a bit weak now, there are plenty of good games available.

Motorstorm
    Resistance
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Rainbow 6 vegas
    NHL2k7
    Virtua Tennis 3
    The darkness
    oblivion

on the downloadable front
    Calling all cars
    Gripshift
    Stardust HD

Yes a number of these titles are available on the 360 too and many more too, but that doesn't take away from the fact that these games, amongst others, are also available on the ps3 and the most mainstream third party games will continue to go multiplatform, meaning that most the of third party games on xbox will also be on ps3.

There is no denying that at this point in time the 360 is the console of choice, but to say that the ps3 hasn't any good games or isn't capable of building up momentum is just sticking your head in the sand.

Sony in general, act like ar$es 99% of the time, but then again microsoft aren't saints either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

.....and then her ring turns all red.:D

lol!:D

Mine just stopped talking to me and her ring won't work anymore. It was a good 18 months though.:(

lol!:D

Mine just stopped talking to me and her ring won't work anymore. It was a good 18 months though.:(

You do know MS extended the warranty to 3 years for all consoles bought
    since launch? It was announced just before E3, check the board here for
    details. They'll fix yours without any charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You do know MS extended the warranty to 3 years for all consoles bought
    since launch? It was announced just before E3, check the board here for
    details. They'll fix yours without any charge.

Thats only for the red ring fault. I rang them up. I'm just going to buy a new one.

And just when you think the failure rate can't get any worse.......

read below..
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175127.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;3

I'd be tempted to ring them up and report the 'intermittent' fault you've just
    encountered that also happens to be the same fault that coincidentally is
    covered by the new extended warranty, ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Apparently Sony had the most impressive E3 showing this year. So their future may be bright. Nintendo was most disappointing.

As for inconsistent design, aren't both companies guilty of that. At first, I didn't think MS should have given people the option of having no hard drive as it can restrict game development - but as time goes on people may need to replace their system (for reasons other than 'manufacturing defects') and the Core will let them do this without having to fork out extra for an additional hard drive they don't need. Sony embarrassed themselves with their 'new' controller nonsense and comments about how rumble "was the last generation feature".

I do like the sound of Sony's online strategy... well I like paying less for stuff. Hopefully Sony's online experience is so successful that MS must reduce the costs associated with Xbox Live Gold to remain competitive. I wish MS would, at least, harmonize their pricing in Europe with the rest of the world.
    Thats only for the red ring fault. I rang them up. I'm just going to buy a new one.
    The Red Ring of Death error can come and go. Just send the 360 in saying that that's the problem you're having and they should repair it.

A member of the 1up staff mentioned talking to a MS representative about the non-RRoD error he was having and was told to just send the 360 in anyway and they'd repair it.

To regurgitate a nice quote from some podcast I heard: "I don't mind who wins the console war - as long as it's a good fight!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

To use a metaphor from a recent thread on here, a PS3 might look great
    but would you date a beautiful looking girl if you were not going to get any
    'action' for a year ? ;) Give me my 360 any day, she might be a bit noisy

Lol true true! sure i plan on gettin my 360 by the end of the month (birthdays came up this month = 100E down the drain :( )
    and then a ps3 in a couple of years. but i was saying that blu ray is one of the main things on the ps3, as its what the games run on, and you either give one ps3 the blu ray drive or none of the as the games are on blu ray discs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

did you say Microsoft should be worrying about their own console whenever they made remarks in Sony's direction?

Too right. MS have got some serious problems with reliability and have had their heads buried in the sand up until now. But they have finally acknowledged it and are offering 3 year warranties and they will be releasing the newly designed hardware within the next year. I would hope this sorts the problems as I'm sure they will test it thoroughly, they can't afford to mess it up.

price is a sticking issue with the PS3, but to say Sony's in a bad position is slightly mis-judging the market. as it stands the PS3 is doing quite well, sure even Peter Moore said he expects the PS3 to get about 10 million this year (but then followed up with 360 stats to get loads more sales etc. etc.). the comments here weren't about the sales of PS3, or the price, it was more a jab at the 360 not being a console you can see lasting a decade. i.e. it's a quick-fix for a new console in 3 years time...

So if the 360 is just a quick fix for 3 years do you think Sony will just sit idly by and wait for another 7 years to release a console? I don't think so. I can't see either lasting 10 years tbh. At the moment there is very little difference between either in terms of what they can do. Just look at the games that are released on both, they are practically identical. Maybe in 12 months when the developers have gained experience on the PS3 we may see a difference.

i said this at the start of the 360 launch. it's not good to have different flavours of console. the point of a console is that everyone's on a level playing field, unlike PC gaming. without a HDD you can't play certain games, and some people can watch HD-DVD's, but others can't.

it segregates the market needlessly

Yeah, that was a poor move by MS but I think leaving out HD-DVD was a clever move and one that Sony should have done with blu-ray as well. It's really hurting them right now. They are a generation too early and trying to push a tech. that's not standard. At least when they released the PS2 DVD was not in competition with another format.

I've nothing against the PS3, I think its a great piece of hardware, almost too good and this is what is holding it back. I'll be getting it some time in the future, maybe next year. But as it stands it doesn't have a whole lot to offer me and the good games it does have have already been released on the 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Without getting into any level of 'fanboy-ism'. Of course Sony are going to take a swipe at MS - why wouldn't they? They are in competition and were third to market in this generation in all the markets and have some ground to make up.

Yes, OK. They started slow but are gradually building up speed. However, there had been a number of relatively high profile cases where the 360 performed better than the PS3 (Madden 2008, etc.) and where the Wii was outselling the PS3 by a factor of 6 to 1 on their own home soil(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6265368.stm).

What better way to try to buy some time, before a Killer exclusive comes out (maybe GT5) on the system that makes it a must have device, than to plant doubts or cast aspersions about the competition?

("Oooh, the 360 is unreliable" ... "The wii is a gimic, it'll never last"... etc.)

It is a competition after all and if you play by the rules of "All is fair in love and war", then let them say what they will.

I do have to agree with a number of points made so far:
    • HD-DVD as an add-on is a good idea - there is no clear winner yet in the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD format war. If you include it as standard and the format doesn't win out, the customer is left with an expensive lemon. The only reason Sony included Blu-Ray is to try to force it to become the standard so they can make more money out of it in the long run.
    • Wireless as an option is also a decent idea (but the add-on should be cheaper) - Not everyone has a wireless network / router, so why should they pay extra to have the feature in the box?
    • Fragmented models? What about the 20GB PS3 with no HDMI or wireless as standard - that lasted less than 9 months. Whoever bought one of them (in the States) really got screwed. They didn't even bother here, because they saw what a mess it was.
    Of course Microsoft are equally guilty of mudslinging back. It's funny really because neither should be in a position to cast the first stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

here comes the sony train... :D

refreshingly honest

but yeah rival companies leads to "my penis is bigger than yours" type arguements.

Sony had to push Blue-Ray with the PS3. They want to win this format war so what better way than to get a BR player in the homes of a few million people. It may pay off big time in the end

It is the reason a lot of people have avoided the console though infalting the price (I have not said anything about value for money so please lets not harp on about the extras for the 360 coming to a similar figure).

What gets to me is how slow the games are coming out. This console was delayed so imagine if it did release on time (was it March last year) there would be an even bigger gap between release and decent games

Advertisement