Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Rental without a Credit Card

Options
  • 16-07-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm off to Spain on holidays next week and I'd like to rent a car while I'm there, the problem is I don't have a credit card and it seems all the major agencies require one at pick-up time.
    Does anyone know a way around this? Would it be possible to use a borrowed card for example?
    Or could I pop into an agency here and pay with my Dads credit card or something and then just collect the car when i get to Spain?

Or preferably, does anyone know an agency that doesn't require credit cards?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

A borrowed card would be fine, would he lend it to you for the holiday? That would be the best thing to do. I doubt any of them would go without credit card details.

Have a good holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I'll have to see what I can do so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

lightening wrote:
    A borrowed card would be fine, QUOTE] :eek: :eek: :eek:

I seriously doubt that!

Personally I'd call the rental company and ask them about renting without a credit card. Some companies / branches will do it for a large cash deposit if it's within banking hours. If you can't stump up the cash deposit and no one with you has a credit card then may be walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

All major rental car companies have a Damage/Theft Excess, which you'd have to cover in cash, possibly plus a further amount as they have no other way of knowing you're good for whatever charges may be applied post-rental (eg. fuel charges). A lot of rental companies won't accept cash payments and definitely won't accept a 'borrowed' card unless the owner of the card is present with ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

VISA do a prepaid card - basically you put cash into it and it can then be used in any outlet that accepts credit cards around the world. So it's not a credit card (as you're not getting credit), but it acts exactly like one to the places you're using it in. The only problem I'd foresee is that car rental companies like to know that they'll be able to charge you for costs after you've left your car back (fuel, damage, parking fines, etc), so I'm not sure if they'll accept it, but it might be worth looking into.

I'm not sure where you'd go about getting one, but here's a link.

http://www.corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_products/consumer_prepaid.jsp

You can't borrow a credit card, even with the owner's permission. You'll be done for theft and fraud! :eek:

You could see about getting yourself added to your Dad's credit card account (a dual account), but it might not be set up within the week. This way, you'd get your own card with your own name, but it would be the same account as your Dad's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

If you're quick (and if you can convince him) your dad can get another card on his account (usually at no cost) in your name. That way you'll have your own card. There's no extra government card tax either afaik, so if his bank could get it out in time that's probably your best option.

-C

EDIT: Sorry, just refreshed the page ... what phutyle said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

According to the Hertz website:

"Cash is accepted as a method of payment from Monday to Friday between 0900 and 1730 only on vehicle groups Economy 2-Door (A) and Economy 2-4 Door Manual & Automatic (B & E). Please note that cash payment is possible only if you are 30 years old.

A cash deposit based on the estimated rental charges and inclusive of the non-waivable excess and the fuel deposit will be required."

So this might give you some indication of the restrictions you'll face if wishing to pay in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

You will defo need to have a card.

PTSB had those disposable credit cards, not sure if they still have but a call to some of the major banks should answer that for you.

Best of luck!

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lightening wrote:
    A borrowed card would be fine

Hold on a second! I've rented cars in the past where I very clearly remember that the name on the credit card must be the name on the driving license of the person driving the car

Advertisement