Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-teaching theory, where to start?

Options
  • 16-07-2007 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

OK probably been asked before but had a scan through the three pages I can see any can't see anything the same.

I've been playing guitar for the past 8 or 9 years but I can only play other peoples songs, using chords or tabs I've found from the internet or in books.

I had piano lessons for a couple of months when I was a kid but never got any theory. Can still bang out a couple of chords on a piano but no way would I be able to tell you what names the chords have and I definitely can't read music without sitting in front of the stave counting up and down which is a very, very slow process :)

I want to get into the theory side of things, ideally I'd like to be able to sit down and listen to a song and think "oh that's in Eb" etc.

I've tried sitting down and learning scales but I've no grounding to let me know what the theory behind the scales is and how the notes stick together. I wouldn't be able to listen to a scale and tell you what it is without being told and I can't figure out how to play other peoples songs without having to look them up.

Is there any absolute beginners guide, something that would give me a grounding in theory from the very bottom up? Preferably free and online (and legal). Something with piano and/or guitar examples and exercises, chord/scale recognition lessons, etc?

If there's nothing free then is there any books anyone would recommend that's helped them when they knew nothing of theory?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1&2 (books with CD backing tracks & examples).

Book 1 would probably do you for the moment. Pretty much exactly what you're looking for, goes from zero knowledge of theory up to pretty advanced levels. Highly recommended.

He's a writer for most of the UK guitar mags, and a smokin' guitarist in his own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

That one looks good, had a look at the review on Amazon there.

"The foreword says the book is aimed at guitarists who've got so far and hit a rut." - sounds like me alright!

I've found it on eBay for fairly cheap, might hit the auld Buy It Now button this evening.

Cheers mate

Just looking at them now, book 2 is more about technique - the usual stuff (legato, sweeping, alternate, tapping), plus some crazy advanced techniques.

So book 1 is definitely what you're after, you probably wouldn't get as much from book 2.

Sounds great, ordered it last night off and eBay store for around e15.

Cheers for the recommendation voodoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

steveland? wrote:
    Sounds great, ordered it last night off and eBay store for around e15.

Cheers for the recommendation voodoo

Hey steveland, I'm lookin' for somethin' along the lines of that book, could you post or pm the link to the ebay store, I did a search there and can't find it!!!!

• Advertisement

Here's another copy from the same seller DeadSkin

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Creative-Guitar-Cutting-Edge-Techniq-Govan-Guthrie_W0QQitemZ270146070237QQihZ017QQcategoryZ274QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It actually works out at around e19 but I asked the seller and it does include the CD.

From the ad it looks like they buy them straight from the supplier

steveland? wrote:
    Here's another copy from the same seller DeadSkin

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Creative-Guitar-Cutting-Edge-Techniq-Govan-Guthrie_W0QQitemZ270146070237QQihZ017QQcategoryZ274QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It actually works out at around e19 but I asked the seller and it does include the CD.

From the ad it looks like they buy them straight from the supplier

Thanks steveland, ordered myself a copy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Hmm i was gonna get this but the ebay seller isnt listing anymore and my wirecard only has €22 left on it .Been searching around and cant find any for less than that :( . Dam. Hopefully the ebay seller with put more up.

Niall0 wrote:
    Hmm i was gonna get this
    I should be on commission...:rolleyes:

Amazon.co.uk have some. Not sure what the delivery is, but it might still come in under your e22

I should be on commission...:rolleyes:

Wait for the reviews :D:D:p

• Advertisement

got one on amazon for around €16 not bad :D

mine came to my house today pity i wont be home till the weekend :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For a good book on music theory I recommend the ab guide to music theory.

http://waltons.ie/waltonsshop/product_info.php?cPath=106_188&products_id=10236

Advertisement