Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre Choices and where to go

• 16-07-2007 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Can anyboady recommend me a good set of tyres to put on and somewhere that will do it for me. North Dublin City would be grand although I can go as far as Dun laoghaire if needed.

I have a BMW 650CS (04) and would also like to know how much this is going to cost me.

Cheers

Cionn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I like these lads, http://www.blakestowntyres.net/

Sound advise and a good price. Poor man spent ages trying to convince me to get a cheaper set of tyres that would last longer. But I like the grip on my current tyres and so didn't want a harder wearing tyre.

Website is worth a look too. Some kick ass artwork on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'll second them, got me a set of avons although he would have prefared metzlers, cheaper etc, avons were recommended though for my bike so I stuck with them. I managed to wring a pinch bolt on the front, he got it off and charged 40 quid to fit the tyre, took an hour or so, I was happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Thanks guys I will will give them a call today. I also was recommended these guys just offf the north strand in Dublin City http://www.thebiketyreco.com/. I'll give them both a call and make a decision.

PS Next time something goes wrong with my bike I'll make sure it doesn't happen on a Monday nothing is open.

Lads in the end I went to the Bike tyre Co. in ossory road and they seem to have done a good job I was recommended Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tyres I haven't got a clue what their like but will wait and see. I'm only on the bike 2 and a half months but I couldn't believe how different the bike felt on the new tyres. Now to take it easy for the next 100 miles and scrub them in. One other point its not cheap changing both tyres together.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I bought a set the other day from The Visor Shop. They are based in Co. Down I think. They ship overnight to The South for free. I paid £159 (approx €236) for a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas for a Bandit. I believe fitting costs about €10 per tyre. Mine are getting fitted today at Scotts Bikes (recently moved from Dorset St to Harolds Cross Road).

Last time, the back tire alone cost me €220 fitted from Leo O Reilly, Dorset St. This time I'll have both fitted for approx €255 with no extra hassle. Buying online is the only way to go as far as I can see!

• Advertisement

Dr Pepper The link to the visor shops looks great I will be using them in the future.

Hopefully my tyre problems have gone away I just have another 50 miles to put up on them to have them fully scrubbed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Cionn wrote:
    Lads in the end I went to the Bike tyre Co. in ossory road and they seem to have done a good job I was recommended Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tyres I haven't got a clue what their like but will wait and see. I'm only on the bike 2 and a half months but I couldn't believe how different the bike felt on the new tyres. Now to take it easy for the next 100 miles and scrub them in. One other point its not cheap changing both tyres together.

C

I hope you where told to check all the bolts on the wheel have not come lose at all? Should be done after 30 or so miles.

I used Blakes town for my past few tires. Iggy is a well sound chap. Servicing cost is low. My last buy was a Pirelli Diablo Corsa III. damn sticky. I only wish it would stop raining so I can really enjoy it ;)

Nobody said anything about checking the bolts on the wheels, will do that before I head home from work. Today was the first day in weeks I had a nice dry drive into the office. 90 miles on the tyres so they should be pretty worn in now.
    What a great way to travel though, Sutton to Sandyford in just over 30 mins (includes getting stopped at Merrion Gates for 5 mins). Where is our summer so I can really enjoy this bike.

Cionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sutty wrote:
    I hope you where told to check all the bolts on the wheel have not come lose at all? Should be done after 30 or so miles.
    They won't come loose if they were torqued up properly to begin with. A lot of these recommendations are CYA from the manufacturer, according to the Triumph handbook you practically have to take it to the dealer to refuel it :rolleyes:

It seems very few if any Irish mechanics use a torque wrench, and it also seems a lot of them err on the side of over-tightening!
    A few years ago I had the rear wheel spacer collapse on my CBR600 (the bit of alloy tube between the rear wheel bearings in the hub). Without it the wheel won't turn straight, thankfully this happened at very low speed. The cause was some git 'professional mechanic' WAY over-tightening the rear axle after putting in a tyre - about 4 years earlier. The overtightening did damage which only caused a failure years later.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Advertisement