Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake!

Options
  • 16-07-2007 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

I need to buy a birthday cake for a 21st I'm helping to organise. It doesn't have to be huge and spectacular, but it has to be pretty and delicious. Preferably it needs to be home-made (shop-made or whatever) and fresh! Getting the persons name on the cake would be a bonus too!

First person to suggest a gammy Gateaux cake, gets a box :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi there - Douglas Court Shopping Centre - there's a Cake Shop - sorry can't remember the name of it - but they are great for Birthday Cakes - you can bring in a good photo - and they'll print it onto the cake - simple but looks good. So I'd pop in and have a chat - of course if you only want a birthday greeting, that should be dead easy for them. But a "baby pic" on cake of your mate could be amusing to all! Ger you Brownie Points (They can do different types of madeira/butter icing flavours - not too expensive).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Scoozi's do an amazing chocolate cake that you can get for birthdays, etc. It is the best!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Jesus I'd murder a cake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

my friend likes the supervalu in ballincollig for cakes, they do phots and `arp on the cake too.

amberly do savage cakes btw, absoluletly savage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

dahamsta wrote:
    Jesus I'd murder a cake.

When I clicked on the thread I assumed there was a chance of free cake. Now, like yourself, I'd like some cake. Damn power of suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

rymus wrote:
    When I clicked on the thread I assumed there was a chance of free cake. Now, like yourself, I'd like some cake. Damn power of suggestion.

yup, im starvin and nobody from work is going to the shop. now i also want some cake.

a nice custard pastry slice would be the job

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm in with Rymus and Dahamsta here. Cake would be good right about now. Found a neat hovel yesterday, we took 30 MINIs down to a place in the Kerry mountains called "Strawberry Field Pancake Cottage". About 40 different types of pancake, all laden with sinfully sweet toppings, chocolate, strawberries, etc. Well worth a visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

theres my entire weekend planned :D

Plenty of amazing photo ops too Ryan, I filled the poxy 512MB card I had with me, as I'd left the 4 Gig at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Judes wrote:
    Hi there - Douglas Court Shopping Centre - there's a Cake Shop - sorry can't remember the name of it - but they are great for Birthday Cakes - you can bring in a good photo - and they'll print it onto the cake - simple but looks good. So I'd pop in and have a chat - of course if you only want a birthday greeting, that should be dead easy for them. But a "baby pic" on cake of your mate could be amusing to all! Ger you Brownie Points (They can do different types of madeira/butter icing flavours - not too expensive).

the name of that plce in Douglas Court is 'Crumbs', nice cakes alright.

Also SuperValu in Grange do excellent cakes at a decent price. We got our daughter's first birthday cake there, ordered a week before and it was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

rymus wrote:

I'd laugh if this was some strange marketing scheme developed by evil cake manufacturers :D

Course I'd murder a breakfast roll too, or a beer. Can't have any of 'em, but I'm still up for a night out on the 28th if anyone's around.

http://blogopho.be/cork-comedy-festival/

adam

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Jesus, adam, your taste in domain names is worse than my dad's jokes.

Hijacking the cake-lust thread in order to promote beer, on the other hand, is an exceptional idea :D

Don't talk about beer. I Kill You, I Keeeeel You!

"Strawberry Field Pancake Cottage". More details please - where in Kerry Mountains - are you serious or joking about this........... mouth watering at prospect............. J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

dahamsta wrote:
    I Keeeeel You!

Inigo??! :eek:

Inigo??! :eek:
    Father?

Judes wrote:
    "Strawberry Field Pancake Cottage". More details please - where in Kerry Mountains - are you serious or joking about this........... mouth watering at prospect............. J

Google is your friend :
    http://www.strawberryfield-ireland.com/pancakes/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

There's a decent cake shop in the English Market, Princes Street end, best cakes ever! I think its called the Farm House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The photo cakes are crap, unless they've improved them, it's just typical madeira cakey stuff. Had to tell my parents I appreciated the sentiment after 3 birthdays with photo cakes but I wanted chocolate! Marks and spencers do some class chocolate cakes and you can get the beloved classic chocolate caterpillar there! :P

• Advertisement

Big Tone wrote:
    There's a decent cake shop in the English Market, Princes Street end, best cakes ever! I think its called the Farm House.
    Jesus, it's not the Farm House that used to be in Douglas Shopping Centre, is it? The one with the violent green cake boxes? Feck, the memories! The proper chocolate slices, with that thin layer of kinda-jelly stuff in 'em!

On chocolate cakes, there was never better than the chocolate fudge cake they used to do in the Farm Gate in Midleton when I was in my late teens / early twenties. Sweet-but-slightly-gritty fondant icing, not-too-chocolatey filling, and sponge that was just that little bit moister than usual, but not too moist.

You'd never guess I was on a diet.

adam

Ned78 - THANK YOU - I can't believe this place is hidden away in Kerry, methinks a trip to the wild west is called for. Thank you for making me a happy woman (happier when I get there, of course). J

Judes wrote:
    Ned78 - THANK YOU - I can't believe this place is hidden away in Kerry, methinks a trip to the wild west is called for. Thank you for making me a happy woman (happier when I get there, of course). J

Try the Banana & Chocolate Chip pancake. It's scrumptious! The road there is class too, if you like driving fast, it's perfect. Ireland's equivilant of the Alps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Gauge wrote:
    The photo cakes are crap, unless they've improved them, it's just typical madeira cakey stuff. Had to tell my parents I appreciated the sentiment after 3 birthdays with photo cakes but I wanted chocolate! Marks and spencers do some class chocolate cakes and you can get the beloved classic chocolate caterpillar there! :P
    i rather like the madeiraey stuff, esp if its out of a fridge, and crammed w/ rasberry jam.

my sister claims the nicest cakes in the world can be had from cinamon cottage on the rochestown road. i have yet to try this though.

I've never had anything from that gaff but when I was working for a packaging firm they had a reputation as being the best in the business. Their ready-meals are fantastic by all accounts.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

If you want to go for taste and presentation the nicest cake shop around is the one in Douglas Village Shopping Centre. It's a pink shop adjacent to Tesco. Unfortunately, I can't think of the name right now!

I need to buy a birthday cake for a 21st I'm helping to organise. It doesn't have to be huge and spectacular, but it has to be pretty and delicious. Preferably it needs to be home-made (shop-made or whatever) and fresh! Getting the persons name on the cake would be a bonus too!

First person to suggest a gammy Gateaux cake, gets a box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If I had known earlier, I could have got a custom made cake a few doors down from where I live! They look amazing too.

www.atouchofmagic.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MICHAEL9

hi, just to let you know i make cakes from my home. Any Size or shape you like. I have some cakes on http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MID=367137231&MemberId=4414337022 drop us a line & tell us what you think

Well well Michael, it appears you also make spam.

• Advertisement

It's not Michael ned78, it's MICHAEL! Just in case you couldn't HEAR like.

Advertisement