Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games made him do it, obviously

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

She might have had critical protect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

For a long time I didn't even realise games had age limits on them.
    Here's a clue - its on the box. Read the damn thing, woman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And the real reason your son committed murder:

He's a whack job and you are a failure of a mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

72 times? sounds less like manhunt and more like a battle from final fantasy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Speaking to the News of the World
    I stopped reading at that point...
    Slow news day, EG?

• Advertisement

Guess this means that I can now go ahead and drop bricks from an overpass onto oncoming traffic and blame Tetris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

who blames games? maybe the child was just deranged and the mother made up an excuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

"Stuart was 11 or 12 when I bought him the PlayStation. For a long time I didn't even realise games had age limits on them. We'd just buy him the game that all the other kids had. I didn't really know what they were about. I think most parents are the same."

How bad does that sound?

I bought a product for my child and I don't know what its capable of in any way!!!!

I mean seriously, that is just bad parenting. What if you bought a board with a nail through it? Would she be using the same excuse if something bad happened? Would people buy any excuse for buying a child a board with a nail through it to play with?

I don't think so. Society is all messed up that people can make these statements and large parts of society agree with them. Mostly the majority of parents out there that have no interest in raising their kids right or so it would seem since they don't research products before buying them for their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

its things like this why manhunt 2 isent on the shelfs :mad: not that i would buy it anyway because its meant to be sickining but so and so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

72 times? sounds less like manhunt and more like a battle from final fantasy.....
    I was thinking more along the lines of a Capcom fighting game... Darkstalkers and such.

Didn't this story pop up a while ago and the kid is seriously deranged?

Perhaps the mother is hopping on the bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

it's a conspiracy - she's been payed by the the British Board of Film Classification to say that so they can justify their banning of manhunt 2 and a lot more future games too probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's easier to blame computer games than blame herself....fùcking cùnt!!!!:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

72 times is rather impressive. I thought the best ultra combo you could get in killer instinct was a 48 hit combo with orchid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The caps lock function was obviously acting wonky on that reporter's keyboard.
    But yeah, that 72 hit combo would be impressive even in DMC3. But I wager that this fellow was like one of those "corpse humpers" (I dont think thats the technical term) you get online - just doesn't know where to stop.

These stories are ridiculous though. These people are just a bit mental in the head / reared badly. Id say the percentage of murders -v- the percentage of video game obsessed murders is a rather small ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I don't understand why everyone is so completely against the idea that games may have played a factor.

I'm not saying they are. But, I'd consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tonyj_mc

IMHO i think if they are blaming games on the murder, maybe arrest the mother as a accessorey to murder she did buy him the playstation.

this night stop all the stupid people claiming games are to blame. serve the cow right

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Timans wrote:
    I don't understand why everyone is so completely against the idea that games may have played a factor.

Because millions of people worldwide play videogames on a regular basis without murdering anyone. The censors, who are exposed to completely uncensored material on a daily basis don't murder anyone.

In the words of The Simpsons;

Meyers: I did a little research and I discovered a startling thing...
    There was violence in the past, long before cartoons were invented.
    Kent: I see. Fascinating.
    Meyers: Yeah, and know something, Karl? The Crusades, for instance.
    Tremendous violence, many people killed, the darned thing went
    on for thirty years.
    Kent: And this was before cartoons were invented?
    Meyers:That's right, Kent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Timans wrote:

But we're defensive gamers. Such a possiblilty would never enter our heads.
    Tut tut. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Timans wrote:
    The lack of evidence to support the theory... and the fact that blaming video games if a cheap and (possibly) effective way to shift focus away from the more complex (and scarier) societal problems that are more likely to be the cause of people going nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The reason games didn't play a factor is because any sane adult, like you or I, play games with violence and somehow stop ourselves from hacking people to bits. Therefore this guy must have been mentally unstable and so anything could have set him off. Do we know for a fact that he never watched violent films?
    There are films who's sole purpose is to be violent and gory, I don't see anyone saying "Saw made my child do whatever happened in Saw".

Obviously children shouldn't be exposed to games that are not for children, and of course the mother isn't blaming herself for allowing her child to play computer games all day every day in a dark room for years. She was too lazy to care about her son and is desperately trying to blame everything but herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

LMAO!

"Every night he would retreat into his darkened bedroom at home in Rainham, Essex, and enter a grisly virtual world that revelled in sadism, ritual blood-letting and death. Just like millions of other youngsters," the article reads.

NOTW make it so seedy as if it's perverted to play games. I wonder if I could get those hammer games where you bang things on the head in the arcades banned. I'll smack a few people with a hammer and proclaim I thought I had to get points from their heads :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Duggy747 wrote:
    I wonder if I could get those hammer games where you bang things on the head in the arcades banned. I'll smack a few people with a hammer and proclaim I thought I had to get points from their heads :rolleyes:
    Think bigger, man. My next murder's being blamed on Lily Allen. I'll club an old lady to death with a bicycle in London or something.I think I'll do it after reading nothing but tabloids for two days straight, both to watch the resulting moral implosion and to give me the murderous rage needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Heh what absolute horse****, seriously. Games don't **** up kids.
    Motion to get this thread renamed to the Jack Thompson must die thread please?

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I don't think anyone believes that Games are SOLELY responsible for the murder and they never will be SOLELY responsible BUT, I do believe they can play a factor for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

She's a failure of a mother tbh and she's only drawing attention to this by these nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Timans wrote:
    I don't think anyone believes that Games are SOLELY responsible for the murder and they never will be SOLELY responsible BUT, I do believe they can play a factor for some people.
    Of course, if someone is mentally unstable, then anything can push them over the edge. Video games/movies/music/Uncle Badtouch can be triggers, but not necessarily the cause. There's no game out there that tells people "Hey! Why not go stab some nurse 72 times!"

The vast majority of gamers can distinguish between games and real life. There's no consequence for killing x number of Nazis, stealing peoples cars and running over pedestrians. The game can be stopped and you can go on with your life.

If we all had to stop doing things because a number of nut jobs were living out what they see, the world would be very very bland. We wouldn't even be able to show the news for fear little Jimmy would go off and kill some Iraqis. The tabloids put such a negative spin on things that those without knowledge of the subject could end up believing it to be true.

Advertisement