Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter Cycling Advice

Options
  • 16-07-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've started to try and cycle to/from work as much as is practical.

I live in maynooth and work in the city centre. By the route i take( Road to leixlip and N4 from there all the way into the city) its about 25km and currently taking me about 1h40-1h50 give or take. I'm not in great shape...;)

Anyway as i was cycling in this morning i got passed out yet again by people on racers and although it crossed my mind before but i considered that my bike type is probably not the best for what im doing. Its a TREK 5500(I think....). I mean its mainly road cycling in a straight line and further down the line i might consider swapping to something that would help me save a little time...

I also realise that the odds are these people are a lot fitter than me as well,

So What sort of bike should i be looking at?
    Any tips with my current one?

Any other useful advices(I wear a helment, have high vis gear and keep a pump and spare inner tube in my bag)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

A Trek 5500 is quite a nice carbon racing bike, perhaps you mean one of the mountain bikes?
    Mountain bikes are not great for that sort of route because the tyres are wide, they are heavy, and suspension can waste effort. As a quick fix, I'd swap to slick tyres, and 'lock out' any suspension. You could put on rigid forks to reduce weight, it all depends on how much cash you want to spend.
    I'd say 25km should take you less than an hour once you're more used to the route.

M

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are you sure it's a Trek 5500 you've got? Because the 5500's a carbon framed racer as far as I can recall.

Anyway, long story short is that yes a racer will help you go faster, but the difference it will make is much less in what you'll get from improving your overall fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

25kms each way and nearly 2 hours each way exercise per day is really quite something. Keep it up and soome you'll be al lot fitter then the guy passing you. Remember they may only have a 5km commute!

A racer/hybrid would certainly make the route faster and because of the less tyre ground resistance somewhat easier. As Mucco has said, slick tyres and locking out the front forks should make a difference in the short term. See how you get on and if the commute becomes a regular thing then perhaps invest in another more road orientated bike.

Jargon buster:
    Hybrid bikes, like a racer bike only with straight handlebars, normally designed for commuting as they can hold mudguards and panniers, etc.
    Slick tyres, tyres without the nobbly bits designed for mountain terrain. Slicks are smooth tyres that can also decrease rolling resistance with the road.
    Locking out forks, a switch on the top of the suspension forks that, when turned one way can harden the suspension so you are not wasting energy in driving the bike forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Agent J wrote:
    I live in maynooth and work in the city centre. By the route i take( Road to leixlip and N4 from there all the way into the city) its about 25km and currently taking me about 1h40-1h50 give or take. I'm not in great shape...;)
    That is quite a cycle! Fair play for doing ~3.5hours cycling a day!!
    Get a basic bike computer to see those miles/kms mount up. It'll be really motivating.
    You should be able to do the trip in about an hour or you will as you get fitter.

I recommend getting a hybrid (more upright, more comfortable riding position than a road bike). It should also allow you to put mudguards and maybe a bag rack on it. It will also have smooth, skinny tyres that will allow you to go faster.

Aside: If the weather is crap you should be able to take the train - you'll get a seat as you board at Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

~Whoa! Just want to clarify this from the get go

I'm not doing a return cycle every day... i wish. Currently im averaging out about 3/4 trips a week and by trip i mean one way trips. Im trying to build up to return cycles but i like to have my bike at the weekend and praticialities dicate that the time it takes to do a return cycle isnt feasabile at the moment...

Thanks for all the tips.

As for the train. I'm well schooled in the art of getting a seat. Im pretty much guareenteed one in maynooth.

I'm not doing a return cycle every day... i wish. Currently im averaging out about 3/4 trips a week and by trip i mean one way trips.

As in, Into work on monday back out on tuesday/ likewise on thursday/friday.

I dont have a locker in work and for praticality i have to carry my work clothes in with me.

I have a cycle computer and im keeping an eye on it closely... It also takes me about an extra 10-20 mins cycling home because of a few SOB up hill streches on the way back... like that damn hill in leixlip!

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure its a 5500 but its definatly a mountain bike....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

My advice, stolen from a few months of looking at internet forums also looking for Commuter Cycling Advice:

Get those slicks, slick. They look scary at first but they're absolutely fine.

Here's how to climb a hill on a bicycle, I found it very helpful:
    http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/skills/uphill.htm

Related to that, watch how you use your gears, I'm always shocked at how people are killing themselves by not using the gears properly, there's no need for it.

Related to that, make sure you're chain etc. is properly lubricated. There's no point creating resistance for yourself.

Make sure you're tyres are filled with the right amount of air.

You prob know a lot of that already, I don't mean to patronise, but I see loads of rusty chains, flat tyres and silly gear usage every day. Hope that helps.

Thats is a really helpful article.

I always try to brute force my way over a hill at max speed and end up killing myself doing it...

As for patronising. Dont worry about it. Its only obvious if you know its obvious. I prefer that people point out the bleed obvious because i tend to miss the obvious....

As for my bike model. I'll check it in work tomorrow.

Agent J wrote:
    I dont have a locker in work and for praticality i have to carry my work clothes in with me.
    Let me say that having a locker is very handy. I leave my towel and shower gear in my office.
    If you want one your employer might be willing to buy one. Tell them that a fit and healthy employee is a better worker with less sick days.
    Agent J wrote:
    It also takes me about an extra 10-20 mins cycling home because of a few SOB up hill streches on the way back... like that damn hill in leixlip!
    You could consider an alternative route - maybe go via Westmanstown and the back of Carton House. Roads will be quieter than the N4, but it may not be shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Stick with your current bike and maybe put skinny tyres on it. I could cycle from Celbridge to the city center(13miles) in 35-40 mins on my old mountain bike with 1.25" slicks on it. I found the section from the SPA hotel to the m50 very fast on that setup, I could easily maintain 25miles an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Has it got rigid forks? probably a 3500 if it is, they seem popular. If it is rigid forks then lash on the slicks and it is basically a hybrid. They will make a huge difference as mentioned. You will get fit fairly quick and be passing out the racer boys in no time, much to their disgust as a MTB whizzes by :D

Actually... may as well see if this helps.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.371859,-6.394043&spn=0.120851,0.418854&z=11&om=1&msid=116861285483361734246.000435722dffd4417b314&mid=1184665347

Rate my route.... Open to ideas.

Blue line is on the way to work
    Red line is on the way home.

I cut through chapellizod on the way home because its a nice flat terrain compared to the Hilly N4 at that route. Also lucan because i use the downhill on the approach to lucan.

Normally it seems to take me about an hour and a bit to reach M4/N4 Junction on the way in and about 20 mins to hit the quays from there.

I really appriacate the advice guys... Never would have known about slicks. Tell me how much should i expect to pay for a set?

To be honest i think i never tighened my suspension.. I really should have....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Agent J wrote:
    Tell me how much should i expect to pay for a set?.
    About €50-80 for the pair. The dearer ones have puncture protection which is highly recommended.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18801
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18829

Many recommend the specialized armadillo, not sure if they come in 26".

I have this on my back
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8549
    THis on the front
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5851

I have a hybrid with slicks too, the MTB is for the weekends and when lashing rain, I found I can get away with a slick up front but the back needs to be a bit beefier and with some grip, but commuting you could be fine with 2 thin slicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Aye, when I went to replace my armadillos they only had 26" in stock :(

You're nuts cycling down the quays every day, i wouldn't dare try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Highly recommend these: http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12607

I put a few hundred miles on them with only 1 puncture. Get the 1.25 and pump them to 100 psi

Checked my bike model

Sorry its a Trek 4500.

Just adding what happened when i bought a set of slicks.

I managed to save about 30 mins off my journey this morning and i wasnt exactly pushing the envelope.....

So my current time from maynooth to the city is 1H20M. Would have been quicker except it took ages on the quays. Also hills are not so much a problem with these tyres. I had no idea what a different they would make!

Tempted to try the return journey this evening. It usually takes about 2 hours or so...

Why are you going down the quays?! Go down the Luas track that runs parallel with them instead. Safer and probably quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The Luas line presents its own difficulties, though: as well as the bloody trams (a real inconvenience on a tram line), I reckon anything thinner than a 700 x 28 road bike tyre would stand a good chance of getting stuck in the lines.
    Why are you going down the quays?! Go down the Luas track that runs parallel with them instead. Safer and probably quicker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 drstaunch

Is it totally legal to cycle on the luas lines? If it is ill be taking that route from now on! Ive had too many close calls on the quays, especially on the south side coming down to heuston beside the Guinness factory

The Luas line presents its own difficulties, though: as well as the bloody trams (a real inconvenience on a tram line), I reckon anything thinner than a 700 x 28 road bike tyre would stand a good chance of getting stuck in the lines.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

Cycling parrarel to the Lines is not a good idea.

Will investigate a better route but for now it will suffice.

I cycled on 700x23 a few times without problem. Just stay in the middle of the tracks and ensure you cross the tracks with as much an angle as you can (or stop and walk across them). With clipless pedals I can do a little hop.
    The biggest issue I have is the cobbled surface - looks nice but is very uncomfortable to cycle on.

Yes, the Luas bye-laws prohibit cycling on the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Cobbles are a pain to cycle on. They're also damn slippy in the rain.

As for the Luas by-laws, I think there are places where cycling is prohibited and places where it is permitted. I could be wrong, though. I generally try to avoid them.
    daymobrew wrote:
    I cycled on 700x23 a few times without problem. Just stay in the middle of the tracks and ensure you cross the tracks with as much an angle as you can (or stop and walk across them). With clipless pedals I can do a little hop.
    The biggest issue I have is the cobbled surface - looks nice but is very uncomfortable to cycle on.

Yes, the Luas bye-laws prohibit cycling on the tracks.

Well, I certainly wouldn't cycle down the quays. I know the Luas lines are far from ideal but they're generally quite quiet, the trams tend to move at a similar pace to cyclists (apart from at stations obviously) and I can't imagine anyone's going to complain so long as you're not causing an obstruction.

I guess the alternative is down that little road on the south side that runs beside St. Jame's Hospital and then down Jame's and Thomas St. - that's not a fantastic route though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Well, I certainly wouldn't cycle down the quays. I know the Luas lines are far from ideal but they're generally quite quiet, the trams tend to move at a similar pace to cyclists (apart from at stations obviously) and I can't imagine anyone's going to complain so long as you're not causing an obstruction.

I guess the alternative is down that little road on the south side that runs beside St. Jame's Hospital and then down Jame's and Thomas St. - that's not a fantastic route though.

I actually find the quays to be alot improved since the new bus lanes were brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

drstaunch wrote:
    Is it totally legal to cycle on the luas lines?

No, most of the Luas operates on tram only streets. The only major exception is the section on James's Street before the entrance to the hospital, where the tram and other road vehicles use the same section of road, the minor exception is for access. Some other streets have separate lanes for tram and road vehicles, for example Abbey Street Middle and Harcourt Street.

penexpers wrote:
    I actually find the quays to be alot improved since the new bus lanes were brought in.

It would take one massive mother****ing improvement IMHO (I last traveled them September 06)

penexpers wrote:
    The northside quays should be better because of the continuous bus lane - I used to hate the stretch between Croppy Acre and Four Courts.
    The southside quays (which may be what Agent J is talking about) are painful where there is no bus lane.

Talking about the northside bus lanes, I found an interesting statistic on the Dublin City Council site
    Currently, during the morning peak, there are five times as many people using the bus as their mode of transport on the Quays rather than the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

daymobrew wrote:
    The northside quays should be better because of the continuous bus lane - I used to hate the stretch between Croppy Acre and Four Courts.
    The southside quays (which may be what Agent J is talking about) are painful where there is no bus lane.

The speed limit is going to be reduced to 30km/h on the keys and some city center streets. Still don't think it'll tempt me to cycle on the keys though...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Just found this thread, and as I'm changing jobs and will have to start cycling Maynooth -> Grand Canal dock, I was wondering how the route is, particularly getting on to Lucan bypass where the motorway ends, and the M50 junction roadworks.
    I was thinking of taking the old road, Knockmaroon isn't it? that passes through Strawberry beds: any opinions?
    -Roy

Advertisement