Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter Cycling Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

rp wrote: »
    Just found this thread, and as I'm changing jobs and will have to start cycling Maynooth -> Grand Canal dock, I was wondering how the route is, particularly getting on to Lucan bypass where the motorway ends, and the M50 junction roadworks.
    I was thinking of taking the old road, Knockmaroon isn't it? that passes through Strawberry beds: any opinions?
    Wow, that's quite a commute. You could look at getting the train and dropping the cycling or maybe cycle part of the way e.g. to Coolmine.

I've been cycling from Carpenterstown to Leixlip/Maynooth/Dunboyne recently as part of my W200 training.
    I've cycled via Leixlip and out the road to Maynooth, past Intel. Not too bad except for the inexplicable chicanes near Intel.
    On the return trip I've taken the Dunboyne road (R157) and turned right after Carton House to bring me to Clonsilla. Some really crappy surface in the vicinity of Carton House.
    I don't think that either road would be ideal during the week as both options will be busier (though there is some onroad cycle track between Maynooth and Leixlip).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

To me, the N4 going over the M50 isn't too bad these days. Inbound, the bus lane becomes a left-turn/toll-bridge lane so you just need to keep to the right hand side of that one when you're approaching the junction. There's no lights now (as you probably know) so it's straight through. It's a similar story on the way out of town but as you approach Liffey Valley it's a very wide slip road off the M50 onto the N4 now and can feel a bit hairy at times when cars are booting along both sides of you. The massive rumble strips along the road markings are fun to navigate too.

IMO, nothing too much to be worried about once you're careful, observant and assertive.

I haven't cycled the strawberry beds since the speed ramps went in along there. I'd imagine there'd be less traffice but there's big works going on in Chapelizod village at the moment so it's one way in-bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Would you need to get new wheels to put slicks on a mountain bike? or is it just changing the tyres? i've a trek 3500(i think its that model anyway...) and anything that makes my life easier sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It just involves changing the tyres, no more than a ten minute job (can be a bit tough though). And by God, it's totally worth it, especially if you have hills to climb on your commute.

changing tyres is no hassle to me, i'm well versed in puncture repair :pac:

i don't have any serious hills on my commute, but its gently uphill the whole way home. i go from cabra to harcourt st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's still worth it. You don't realise the amount of drag that MTB tyres have until you switch to slicks.
    I'm using these babies:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300003751&N=Schwalbe%20City%20Jet%20Tyre%20and%20Tube%20Set

If you're not used to slicks, the first few days are unnerving, and the first time it rains you're terrified of turning corners, but it works out fine. Just watch out for manhole covers and Luas tracks :)

nice one. I'll look into getting a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

I just came accross this thread - my bike currently has 700x38c tyres

any recommendations in this category:

I was looking at Schwalbe Kojak

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24869

or

Continental Sport Contact Reflex

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18830

conditions similar to OP in that i want to cycle from bray to dublin 2 daily

Also is there benefit to getting skinnier back wheel?

I think i'll be getting the continentals as the schwalbes just look a little too smooth for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

elmer wrote: »
    I think i'll be getting the continentals as the schwalbes just look a little too smooth for me.

Read Sheldon before you go for that..
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread

• Advertisement

can someone recommend me a set of slicks for 26 x 2 wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

kenmc wrote: »
    Read Sheldon before you go for that..
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread

Noticed the section on Pinch flats
    Pinch flats (also known as "snakebites" because there are usually two small holes in the tube, as if made by the fangs of a snake) are usually caused by carelessness or riding under-inflated tires. They can also be caused by the use of a tire which is too narrow for the weight it is asked to carry.

If the tire is too soft, or too narrow, it is easy for it to bottom out when striking an obstruction.

If the tire is hard enough and plump enough to carry the weight, the air will keep the tube from being pinched between the rim and the road hazard.

Actually happened to me just today. I hit a kerb and it went flat straight away. I put it down to possibly having the tyre under inflated, although I was pretty sure it was rock solid.

After reading that I'm now thinking it might be after I changed tyres. Recently changed from 700 x 28 aramdillos to 700 x 23 Continentals. The fact is I did hit a kerb, but I was still surprised it popped as I didn't clatter it with too much force. Someone please tell me the 23's aren't too small, they roll soooo good (when inflated :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Has anyone mentioned the importance of using look type pedals or clips for this lenght of comuteing. along with fullyinflated slicks you won't know yourself. Personaly I would prefer the back road from Maynooth through Confey,Westmanstown,Phoenix Park. milage not that different but senic and safety wise no comparison. Whatever route you use, well done see you up the road

I ended up getting the continentals(well one of two - only 1 in stock) as the scwalbe was out of stock.

I have to say the difference is immense. I must have managed to pinch the old tube when i put it in and it popped about 10 min later after i pumped it to 60 psi. luckly the tyre came with a free tube which was much more suited.

now i just need them to deliver the other tyre :)

Advertisement