Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick Insurance question - help!

Options
  • 16-07-2007 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I am changing my car this evening from a 1L Polo to a BMW 2.2L. I am insured fully comprehensive with quinn-direct and was told by them on numerous occasions that a temporary transfer of insurance onto it was no problem.

Rang today and was told they wont transfer it as the car is too powerful! I thought that once you are insured you cannot be denied temp. cover for another vehicle if you need it. Is this correct?

Collecting the car this evening so I am bricking it. Sent an email I got from QD confirming that I COULD in fact get cover to one of their agents, so am waiting anxiously now for their return call.

What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Change insurance companies - nobody seems to have a good word to say about QD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Call them, ask to speak with a manager/supervisor and explain simply that you have it in writing from them that you can transfer the cover and offer them nothing else, only hang up when they give you a policy number - they CAN do this over the phone - no matter what they tell you!

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anan1: I cant, my policy on the polo expires net month but until then I need temporary cover for the BMW which they told me on numerous occasions is no problem!

I thought it was illegal for them to deny me cover while I am already under a policy with them?

Really need help on this!

Richie: I sent off the email to one of their agents, she said she would call me back...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aah QD's denials of previous verbal confirmations are all too familiar to me!
    They may give you temp cover but you will probably have to pay them for it.
    Changing is about all you can reasonably do tbh but IMO you will be better off!

Enjoy the BMW! (520i?) - show us pics also!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Thanks for the help - got it sorted.

Told them the situation, gave the name of the guy who sent me the email and eventually the said they will cover. Cost me 54 euro, and I wasn't willing to argue. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*shakes fist* at Quinn Direct

I wont be insuring with this shower of incompetent b*stards ever again.

Edit: It's an 01 320Ci!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

If you own the car, Quinn have to quote you on it. Full Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

i know this is sorted, but there are a few things to clear up here as regards insurance can-do's and cant-do's
    Elessar wrote:
    I thought it was illegal for them to deny me cover while I am already under a policy with them?

It is not illegal for them to deny you cover - you signed up to a contract of insurance and under that contract, QD can choose to decline you cover on a specific car for a variety of reason (usually engine size/type of car). What was wrong was that they told you first that it was acceptable and then changed their minds.
    Elessar wrote:
    was told by them on numerous occasions that a temporary transfer of insurance onto it was no problem.

Rang today and was told they wont transfer it as the car is too powerful! I thought that once you are insured you cannot be denied temp. cover for another vehicle if you need it. Is this correct?

kinda right/kinda wrong - it is all a question of terminology really. If you buy a new car, you obviously become the owner of the car. Since you are the owner of the car you cannot temp transfer the policy onto that car. You can temp transfer your policy to a car that is not owned by you and is not insured by any other company (like a car from a garage while yours is getting serviced or a hire car). You have 2 options in your case. (1) do a permenant transfer to the car (which is what you did) so the car you now have on cover is the new car and the older car is off cover or (2) temp additional cover on the new car, so both car are insured by you til the policy is up. this is quite an expensive thing to do.

Yet again you were given by advice and incorrect info by QD. This led to the inital problem, but in the end QD did do the permenent sub for the charge you stated.
    If you own the car, Quinn have to quote you on it. Full Stop.

This is quite correct. If you have insurance with any company and you propose a different car for cover, the company are obliged by regulations to give you a premium for it. However, and this is the big catch, they can quote whatever they like.

customer - "hi, i currently have a micra and now i want to insure a Mitsuibishi EVO. You have to insure me, sure it is the law"

insurance company "you are quite correct sir. For the remainder of the policy the price is 5 grand".

so the insurance company gave a price for insurance - you dont like it and cancel the policy and get cover elsewhere. the first insurance company is happy with that, as they did not want to cover the car in the first place, for whatever reason (usually class of car conflicts with the drivers details - licence, bonus, age)

Advertisement