Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The bland leading the bland

• 16-07-2007 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

God how dull and anodyne is daytime RTE Radio One this weather?

Maxi
    (Morning Ireland)
    Anton Savage
    Tom McCurk
    Lorcan Murray
    (News At One)
    Damien O'Reilly
    Angus Mcanally
    (Drive Time)

Apart from McGurk there is a complete absence of piss and vinegar (to borrow an old phrase), the whole fecking lot of them could be used by university conducting experiments into triggering narcolepsy.

Ryan Tubridy suddenly seems quite edgy.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'd honestly say that it has been more than 2 years since I've listened to Radio 1 during the week. Ever since Newstalk has come on I haven't looked back. The only time I'd switch over to Radio 1 is of a Sunday morning/afternoon for the week's review type shows.

I wish to God that someone would just shake the dead out of RTE, but flying pigs etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

mike65 wrote:
    The bland leading the bland

Oh I see what you did there ;)

Anyway I think drivetime and morning Ireland are good. Straight up news reporting and good interviews with people of relevance. Ryan Tubridy is sometimes good and other times a pure waste of an hour. The one thing though that would make me listen to Radio One over Newstalk is that the presenters on Radio One arent in love with themselves and don't feel the need to 'involve' themselves with every single story they are reporting on(aka Geroge Hook! Most needy man on Radio :rolleyes: ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The reason I bracketed the news progs was to seperate them from the complete daytime schedule ;)

Agree to a degree about Newstalk presenters "editorialising". Don't mind Hooky doing it as its HIS show, on the other hand I could quiet happily do without the 'worldly' observations of Ger Gilroy.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

connundrum wrote:
    I'd honestly say that it has been more than 2 years since I've listened to Radio 1 during the week. Ever since Newstalk has come on I haven't looked back.

How do you manage to put up with Orla Barry?

Oh I see what you did there ;)

Anyway I think drivetime and morning Ireland are good.

Drivetime is crap, it's a watered down casual version of five-seven live and it's totally bland. Bring back five-seven live I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I'd have to agree with you Mike. Tom McGurk would be in my opinion the only interesting one there. The alternative of Newstalk is very bad during this time too. I have a loathing for Brenda Power. I don't mind the Breakfast Show though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

How do you manage to put up with Orla Barry?

Its grand now that the schedule has changed, I'm usually in the office from 11.30 to lunchtime. Brenda Power used to annoy me, but now she's just another Joe Duffy, but less opinionated - for now.

I will agree that a lot of Newstalk presenters do come across as very soapboxy, which should be kept in check imo for fear of it ruining the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Drivetime today spent about 20 minutes on the group water scheme in Glaslough, Co Monaghan. No dis-respect to the good people of Glaslough, but it was incredibly boring and not worthy of that much airtime on national radio. I thought, for a minute, that my radio had switched to Northern Sounds! I'm always amazed that other, much more pressing and interesting national issues are given a couple of minutes before being squeezed out because of an ad break! :rolleyes:
    presenters on Radio One arent in love with themselves and don't feel the need to 'involve' themselves with every single story they are reporting on(aka Geroge Hook! Most needy man on Radio
    Agree. I only listen to Newstalk when I'm desperate!
    homah_7ft wrote:
    I have a loathing for Brenda Power.
    I get visibly upset if I have to listen to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I have to agree re: Tubridy having the edge (by a long shot) over Savage.
    Tubridy has a quirky charm that eventually grew on me as a radio listener.
    The one weakness I found in Tub's show is perhaps an overplay of
    book club/book review content. It's not poor content it's just that it
    feels like he (and his producer) gravitates to book club stuff as a safe
    haven because Tubridy is admittedly more bookish than sporty.

I'm not a huge fan (of Tubridy) but I underestimated his potential based
    on the early shows he did on radio. I just can't warm to Savage's style at all.
    I had exactly the same "bland" weary feeling having suffered through a few
    mornings of his delivery. It felt like light entertainment being replaced
    by infotainment delivered by a PR merchant.

-ifc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE has a thing about water supplies at the moment Philip Boucher Hayes did an interesting report about contamination on McGurks prog yesterday morning. Tubridy and his book fetish is becoming an issue with me, I switch off now when book club and related are covered. Why not a filum or music feature?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ifconfig wrote:
    I have to agree re: Tubridy having the edge (by a long shot) over Savage.
    Tubridy has a quirky charm that eventually grew on me as a radio listener.
    The one weakness I found in Tub's show is perhaps an overplay of
    book club/book review content. It's not poor content it's just that it
    feels like he (and his producer) gravitates to book club stuff as a safe
    haven because Tubridy is admittedly more bookish than sporty.

I'm not a huge fan (of Tubridy) but I underestimated his potential based
    on the early shows he did on radio. I just can't warm to Savage's style at all.
    I had exactly the same "bland" weary feeling having suffered through a few
    mornings of his delivery. It felt like light entertainment being replaced
    by infotainment delivered by a PR merchant.

-ifc

Jaysus.. you are not treating Anton Savage as a "serious "broadcaster are you??

My analogy would be of a chef who needed a piss telling a junior colleague.."Mind them musherooms for a few minutes there son, just dont let them burn"

Is probably a nice lad but blander than processed cheese.

mike65 wrote:
    RTE has a thing about water supplies at the moment Philip Boucher Hayes did an interesting report about contamination on McGurks prog yesterday morning. Tubridy and his book fetish is becoming an issue with me, I switch off now when book club and related are covered. Why not a filum or music feature?

Mike.
    Yeah me too, I'd like to smack him over the head with one of his books. It smacks of laziness to me, very easy to get some listeners in for free to talk about books they've read rather than getting some interesting guests into the studio for an interview.

Advertisement